3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2011 3:42 PM by Stephen Pickering122

What field order when editing AVCHD in SD timeline?

Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Hi,

I have some AVCHD 60i footage which will be output to DVD.  Reading different ways of editing HD I finally decided to edit the HD footage in an SD timeline since it will never be output to anything other than SD and I then have the ability to zoom around a bit more if needed.

I know I should be editing an interlaced timeline but when I select DV NTSC I get "Lower Field First" by default, whereas I have read that AVCHD interlaced footage is Upper Field First.  I do know that DV and SD are different.  If I just create a 720x480 29.97 upper field first timeline will I be ok or is the final m2v output expecting one field order of the other?

I will export my final timeline as a lagarith AVI which I will then have Encore encode for me.

Thank you for your suggestions!

-Stephen

• 1. Re: What field order when editing AVCHD in SD timeline?
          Keith_Clark Level 2

to each their own, but i always edit in a timeline that matches source, then export to the destination specification.... if you are exporting from premiere anyway, why not just export to an mpeg-DVD file that encore wont have to transcode? save some time. time is money these days. i could be wrong... but i believe you would export the same field order as source footage. anything else will cause problems...

someone please correct me if i'm wrong...

• 2. Re: What field order when editing AVCHD in SD timeline?
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I tend to agree with demon and edit in a sequence that matches the media, then scale upon export.

• 3. Re: What field order when editing AVCHD in SD timeline?
              Stephen Pickering122 Level 1

Thank you both for your input.  I also thought that having a smaller scale timeline would speed up rendering of effects, but maybe I'm mistaken.

I'm exporting as Lagarith AVI because I cannot, not matter what settings I use, get a crisp image when exporting direct to m2v.  I always get noticable artifacting around the edges.  The AVI appears to minimize this at least a little.  I am using Max Rener Quality and Render and Maximum Depth.

But without getting on a tangent on those, it sounds like it IS ok then for me to edit the AVCHD footage (upper field first) in an upper field first timeline and then export (either m2v or avi) as an upper field first file?

I'll keep working on the encoding (been working on it for 2 days) to see why the artifacting is going on.

Thank you again,

-Stephen