Please post a screenshot. Thanks!
I can't (sensitive information); but, I think I found the problem now....prior text doesn't wrap around an inline anchored object...only the text that comes afterwards....which is a rather annoying characteristic, if you ask me....it is merely how the textflow InDesign was designed. The only solution, it would seem, is to manually place the object....I won't be able to anchor it; this was a major problem owing to the number of tables that I have in the document, adn the fact that multiple updates to the document are needed -- I have to allign each one manually now if a new update comes along...
prior text doesn't wrap around an inline anchored object...only the text that comes afterwards.
Yes, this is a known limitation.
Can you place the table higher up, such as the paragraph before where you want it?
One could also imagine some scripting solutions...
Wrapping around text bfore an anchored object sets up an inifinite loop where the wrap moves the anchor point, so the object moves onthe page, which changes what is affected by the wrap... and you can see where that's heading.
As John said, the usual work around would be to change that object from inline to custom positioned, and fine a spot far enough back in the text that it's still on the correct page, but allows the wrap to affect both columns. It's a real pain in the neck, and if you do further edits there's a good chance you 'll need to adjust the anchored object. Is the any way to change things so the wrap need only affect one column?
Unfortunately not; the information in some for the tables needs to follow at specific points in the text flow for coherency; some can be taken out of the text flow as they are only reference material and can be placed almost anywhere on the page. The 'client' demands two columns for readability, and the tables are often too wide for the single column. There have been as many as three tables per page, making the whole problem all that much more fun. And I haven't even begun with the graphics she wants, many of which are going to pose something of the same problem! Unfortunatelly, I'm still learning the ins-and-outs of Adobe's products (all of 'em!).
My only real solution to the problem will be to anchor the elements as is so that they maintain their correct position in the text flow, and then release them and manually place the right hand tables before delivery to the client. This will cause a bit of a problem, as it will require continuous scanning, and I'm liable to miss something now and again.
I discovered the 'anchor it above and drop it down' solution in another forum, but I'm afraid that will likely just over-complicate things given the number of tables that may be affected (it is about a two hundred page document and will likely grow somewhat in the immediate future). I was hoping for a more elegant solution....but, oh well.
Thanks for the replies all!