5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2011 7:17 PM by zoidicus

Why are my clip markers not saved?

zoidicus

I'm using PE 9.  My clip markers are not getting saved.

1)  Open a blank test project.

2)  Select Organize \ Media.

3)  Double-click one of the clips, and the preview window opens with the clip.

4)  I move the Current-time Indicator to the point I want a clip marker.

5)  Click (menu) Clip \ Set Clip Marker \ Next Available Numbered.

6)  When I move the Current-time Indicator away from that location I can see the marker is visibly there.

7)  I also set In and Out markers.

My understand (from what little documentation exists) is that that is enough to persist clip markers on that clip, for all future projects that include that clip.  However, as soon as I close that clip, all markers are lost forever.  I can reopen it (from organize \ media) and see no markers.  I can also add it to a timeline, and still there are no markers.  The only way I can get markers to save is to add the clip to a timeline, place markers in the timeline, and save the project.  This is not supposed to be necessary according to the docs.

As far as I can tell there is no "save" action needed to persist markers, and saving the project seems inappropriate, but I save it anyway out of desperate frustration.

What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: Why are my clip markers not saved?
          nealeh Level 5

Markers stay fixed at a point in time - hence most set them as the last action before Share. For example if your first marker is at 10 minutes and you insert another clip before it the first marker remains at 10 minutes.

I wonder if, after you delete your clip, the remaining clips are not lengthy enough to reach what would be your first marker.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why are my clip markers not saved?
            zoidicus Level 1

Thanks for the reply.  I think you're speaking of menu markers in a project, or perhaps on a project timeline, but perhaps my terminology is mixed up.  I'm talking about markers placed within clips before they ever make it to a project timeline.  All my footage tends to sit around a while before I get to using it, and I may use parts of a clip more than once.  Setting numbered (or unnumbered) markers on the clip itself ensures that said markers are visible within every (future) project that uses that clip, and I can skip right to the previously marked points of interest.  This feature is described losely in several online references, but I can't reproduce it.

• 3. Re: Why are my clip markers not saved?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I do not know that that's a feature of Premiere Elements, zoidicus.

• 4. Re: Why are my clip markers not saved?
                nealeh Level 5

I think that we must be at cross-purposes with definitions.

Could you post the url of the on-line references you refer to, and a screenshot of the screen where you are setting these markers.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 5. Re: Why are my clip markers not saved?
                  zoidicus Level 1

Neale, thank you again. 

Here's one of many references that distinguishes between source clip-marks and instance clip-marks specifically for PE9 (also referenced in many other versions of PE): http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremiereElements/9.0/Using/WSC22A9AEC-AB3F-4fbc-9F00-F0CBFC211 4CF.html

The image below is of my entire desktop with some scribble added.  You can see 3 source clip marks on the preview window (NOT the project timelene which has many more).  No matter what I do, those 3 clipmarks will be lost the moment I close the preview window.

pe9 source clip mark.jpg