4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2011 2:43 PM by the_wine_snob

How to hold text after applying animation

mr-wolfe

Hello, I'm having a problem with animating text.  I want the text to "fade in by line", but then keep the text on screen.  As it is now, the entire duration of the text on screen is taken up by the animation itself.  I want the line to fade in, and then stay there; then I want to fade in the next line, and have that one stay as well; and so on.

I know you can only apply an animation to one line at a time, but how do you just 'hold' the text static after the animation is done?

• 1. Re: How to hold text after applying animation
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

To accomplish an effect that customized, you'll need to create it manually.

Fortunately, it's pretty easy to do with some basic keyframing effects.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to hold text after applying animation
            mr-wolfe Level 1

I managed to create the effect manually, but are you saying there is no way to simply keep text on the screen after it's been animated?  What about text fading in with an animation (or better yet, using a different animation), and then fading back out (or a different animation to remove it)?  This seems very limited, unless there's some features I'm not seeing.

• 3. Re: How to hold text after applying animation
              nealeh Level 5

mr-wolfe wrote:

This seems very limited, unless there's some features I'm not seeing.

• You can retain the text by adding it to the timeline, from the endpoint of your animation, through to whenever you want it to disappear..
              • Fade In / Out is in the 'Opacity' property.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: How to hold text after applying animation
                the_wine_snob Level 9

The "Animation Presets" are pretty simple, and only allow a certain amount of customization. When they do what one wishes, they are a time-saver, but when one needs more, the manual Keyframing (usually the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position) will allow for much more control. As I always want more than is provided by the Animation Presets, I cannot remember the last time that I used one. Instead, I Keyframe Motion>Position and get everything that I need.

Steve Grisetti has a wonderful series of tutorials on Keyframing most Effects on Muvipix.com. I cannot recall if they are in the free tutorials, or if one needs to subscribe to Muvipix.com to get those. Keyframing is a powerful took, and is available to most Effects, well beyond the Fixed Effects of Motion, Rotation, Opacity, etc.. Learning Keyframing is well worth the effort, due to their power and control.

Good luck,

Hunt