13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 7:31 AM by the_wine_snob

Importing Music

villabbc1

How do i import music from a CD  into premier? I have tried it through elements organiser, but it says the file format (cda) is not supported.  I have also tried to import directly into Premier but with the same result.

Can anyone help?

villabbc.

• 1. Re: Importing Music
          nealeh Level 5

You need to convert your CD's to a WAV file for best results. There are thousands of CD rippers for converting CD's. I use Exact Audio Copy. Then you can drag them into the organizer where they will be recognised.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing Music
            villabbc1 Level 1

Ahhhhh ! Thanks .  I have been struggling for hours trying to figure it

out. Is a CD  ripper expensive, do you know.

villabbc

• 3. Re: Importing Music
              nealeh Level 5

Exact Audio Copy (the one I use) is free.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

• 4. Re: Importing Music
                villabbc1 Level 1

Anything  thats free I like !  Is it something I google and then download?

villabbc

• 5. Re: Importing Music
                  nealeh Level 5

Click the link in my first reply.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

• 6. Re: Importing Music
                    villabbc1 Level 1

I have downloaded the Exact Audio Copy, but when I try to use it dosent

appear to support the cda file format on the CD. Am i missing somthing?

As you may have guessed I am not all that good with this sort of computer

stuff, and it dosent come naturally to me, it has to be easy and very

intutive for me to get anything to work.

villabbc.

• 7. Re: Importing Music
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

For ripping from CDA to PCM/WAV, I use Adobe Audition (anything BUT free), but believe that the free Audacity will do that too. One would just Save_As PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, and that should Import fine into PrE.

I do not know the program, that Neale recommended, but if he suggests it, I would anticipate that it should be able to rip from CDA too.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Importing Music
                        villabbc1 Level 1

Many thanks for the help, I downloaded "Switch Sound"  and finaly figured out how to convert and import the music into the video audio line.

But I am sure I will be back with loads more questions.

villabbc

• 9. Re: Importing Music
                          nealeh Level 5

Good to hear you found one that works.

For future reference if you did use EAC, you first select the drive the CD is in and then click the image of a CD pointing to a hard disk. It has tons more features (including access to freeDB for album / track names).

1.png

Audacity is a great program and can save to PREs preferred 48KHz 16-bit format. But it doesn't import a CD directly - you need to rip it WAV or MP3 first.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Importing Music
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Don't hesitate to drop back by, and ask any questions that you have. That is what we love to do - answer questions.

For any Audio conversion, I recommend outputting/Saving to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, as that is the ultimate format, and will both Import & edit most easily. The quality will also be, as good as it gets, as PCM/WAV is Uncompressed, unlike various other formats/CODEC's, so you are getting the best, and the difference in file size for the Audio is not THAT much larger.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - one thing to keep in mind, however, is that almost everything on an Audio CD will be ©, so think about that aspect. I won't go into any more detail. Just wanted to throw that out.

• 11. Re: Importing Music
                              Nash_John Level 3

The first thing you must know is .CDA files are not audio files, they are just a way that Windows uses to let you access an Audio CD index. When I say that they are not audio files, I mean that they do not contain sampled sound at all.

The file contains indexing information that programs can use to play or rip the disc. (where on the disc the track starts and stops)

Some audio editing and CD creation programs will, from the user's perspective, load .cda files as though they are actual audio data files. But PRE does not.

You can also use the following program to get your audio from a CD containing .CDA file:

http://www.freerip.com/

It can convert to WAV,MP3,WMA,etc.

• 12. Re: Importing Music
                                villabbc1 Level 1

Thanks. I was aware that there might be copyright issues, and I have been in touch with the mcps, to clarify.

I am not in any way intending to make any video for distribution, or sale,  just family use and holiday, grandchildren etc.

It seems that the use of music for this purpose is OK, but the copying from a cd should have a licence. For non distribution and personal use only, it is about £15 GB  pounds, I am not sure and am checking whether this covers copying from any cd or if it only licences a single copy from a single cd.

• 13. Re: Importing Music
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you have addressed the © issue. Too often, that part is overlooked.

For music for most of my video Projects, I rely very heavily on SmartSound's extensive library. This ARTICLE also has links to various sources for music, and SFX. Many are free, and some available at a minimal royalty. Also, with programs such as Adobe Audition, Magix Music Studio (actually they have several, similar programs), and others, one can create original music via Loopology, or similar technologies.

Good luck,

Hunt