8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2011 1:30 AM by Davyxyz

Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User

Davyxyz Level 1

If I try to start a new project or use an existing project then I get the message "Sorry, a serious error has occurred etc" and Elements closes.

This happens only with my main working user account (Windows XP) but not any other user accounts.

I have tried all the usual tips such as deleting the temp folder and deleting the preferences file in Docs and Settings.

I have checked the preferences folder security settings and they are the same for all users.

Any thoughts on what else I can do? I will try to write the next bit in as small a text size as I can .... I am using Elements 1.0

thanks in advance

Davy

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Unless it's something obvious -- like having less than 30 gigs of free, defragmented hard drive space or you're editing a non-compatible video format -- it's hard to say.

Adobe Tech Support is much better able to walk you through the steps of troubleshooting. You may need to contact them.

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User
            Davyxyz Level 1

Steve,

thanks for your reply but I can't believe your theory that it might be a hardware problem such as insufficient disk space - because, as my original post states, the problem affects only one user - unfortunately the main user.

Similarly your theory that I might be editing a non-compatible format because, as my original post states, the error occurs when 'new project' is selected and before any video is loaded.

I followed your suggestion regarding using Adobe Tech Support but others with similar problems report that Tech Support don't understand the problem and are likely to ask you to de-instal and re-install, defrag the disc - all to no avail. And then, of course, charge $27-$250 (according to the web page).

Anybody have a similar problem with any version of Elements and have found a solution? The users I refer to are all local to the PC

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User
              nealeh Level 5

Is that user's local files directed to a network drive whereas the other users access the local drive? If yes that is very likely the problem.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale
              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User
                Davyxyz Level 1

Nealeh,

I think thats a clever thought but all the users are local users using a local drive.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User
                  nealeh Level 5

Look  in the startup folders to see if your main a/c is running something extra or different to your other users.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User
                    Davyxyz Level 1

Neale,

your suggestion got me excited - I re-started the problem user with no apps running, then stopped all processes started by that user.

But still same problem.

So now I am wondering if I will have to look in the registary to compare Premiere registrary entries for user accounts that work and the won that doesn't.  But need to research how to do that.

cheers

Davy

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User
                      nealeh Level 5

Davyxyz wrote:

I followed your suggestion regarding using Adobe Tech Support but others with similar problems report that Tech Support don't understand the problem and are likely to ask you to de-instal and re-install, defrag the disc

Have you uninstalled defragged, and reinstalled ? If not certainly worth doing. Install it from your problem users account. I suggest right-clicking the setup file and selecting 'Run as Administrator' - that's the Vista / W7 option - if I recall in XP you select 'Run as ...' and then select administrator.

PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips is a useful document that has solved many a users problems.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements Won't Start for a Particular User
                        Davyxyz Level 1

Neale,

I don't believe that the problem is caused by performance-related issues such as disc fragmentation or insufficient disk space - because, as my original post states, the problem affects only one user - unfortunately the main user. Also the error occurs when 'new project' is selected and before any video is loaded.