7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2011 9:01 PM by Wade_Zimmerman RSS

Paste image into existing layer?

robains Community Member

I'm working with CS5 animation and need to paste an image into an existing Layer NOT into a new layer.

I've googled my question and all the answers have been "merge the layers" ... sadly if I do that it will screw up all my animation sequence/durations as it gets reset as a "new layer".

I've tried selecting all on the existing layer and using "Paste Into" but that creates a new layer also?

Like I've eluded to earlier, the reason why I want to keep the existing layer is because I've got a long sequence of layer animation ... if I do a new layer I'd have to adjust all the visibility durations for every layer which is going to be VERY time consuming.

I was thinkg that pasting into an existing layer would be a simple task, so I hope I'm just missing something very obvious/basic?

Thanks, Rob.

• 1. Re: Paste image into existing layer?
          Community Member

When you're pasting, as you have discovered, you are pasting a new layer.  Period.

Try using the Place command instead, though I can't guarantee if that will solve your problem.  I don't have CS5, nor do I work on animations.  Sorry. 

Wo Tai Lao Le

我太老了

• 2. Re: Paste image into existing layer?
            Wade_Zimmerman Community Member

Edit>Special Paste>Pastte In Place

Or make a selection and paste Into or place outside of

Make certain you have the layer selected in the layers panel.

• 3. Re: Paste image into existing layer?

If you want to position the pasted content then do an ordinary paste move it using the move tool till it is where you want it position relative to the other content on that layer and then place that layer abov you wnt it to be in and merge down.

I am wrong about this the only way to do what you want is to merge the layers.

The above only works if there is no content on that layer. Ooops!

• 4. Re: Paste image into existing layer?
                robains Community Member

The Paste In Place, Paste Inside, Paste Outside all create a new layer also ... I'm kinda surprised something this simple isn't part of CS5 Extended.

Went thru all my books and there is nothing that suggest I can paste to an existing layer.  So in other words it has to be a new layer and hence I'll have to re-time the entire animation sequence ... what a pain this is going to be.  I guess Animation is an "afterthought" for Adobe crew.

Thanks for the response, sadly the answer appears to be NO

• 5. Re: Paste image into existing layer?

But you can merge the layers into one layerso I really do not see the problem?

It actually has an advatange this way as you have more control as to where you want to position the pasted art.

• 6. Re: Paste image into existing layer?
                    robains Community Member

Wade,

The problem is a "Merged layer" is actually a new layer (two existing layers merged into one new layer) so the carefully constructed animation timeline needs to be modified.  In order to retain the animation timeline (visibility durations) without change, the layer can NOT change ... hence the need to Paste an image into an existing layer.

Also, it doesn't matter if the existing layer is blank, whenever I paste it creates a new layer.

I've tried to trick the animation timeline by renaming the layers but CS5 does not use the layer name, it appears to use some internal pointer that is unique to a layer.

Rob

• 7. Re: Paste image into existing layer?

Are you sure? How about merging down?

Watch the video…BTW notice you have to have the layer selected in the layers panel

http://www.wadezimmerman.com/videos/MergeDown.mov