6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 5:12 AM by Steve Grisetti

Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos

RBK2011

Hi All.

I am new to PrE and have been using only the basic functionality within Photoshop Elements.  My goal is to finally utilize the boxes of photos and video tapes that fill my office closet so as to pass on our family memories to our kids and grandchildren.  I have transitioned my business computer use to a Macbook pro laptop, and kept my HP desktop.  My hope is that I can use both computers to efficiently capture video and photos, and use one, or both, to edit final movies and albums.  Is this advisable?  I would appreciate any suggestions and tips on how to proceed.

The MacBook Pro is an early 2010 laptop: 2 GHz Intel Core i7; 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 memory.  Should I increase memory to 8GB?

The HP desktop is a model 6267: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU; 8 GB RAM Q8300 @ 2.5GHz; 64-bit Windows 7

I have seperate external drives linked to both computers: The1.5TB drive for the HP is formated to FAT32; the 3TB drive linked to the Mac is formated Apple(Journal).  Suggestions on how best to format the drives to cross-utilize for capture and editing?

Thanks very much for your time and expertise!!!

Rob

• 1. Re: Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

First, any drive that you're going to use to work with video should be formatted NTFS. So I'd switch that FAT32 drive as soon as possible.

Beyond that -- I'm not clear what you're asking. When you say "pass on our family memories to our kids and grandchildren", do you mean making videos and saving them as DVDs... or something else?

Premiere Elements comes in both a Mac and a PC version, so it's up to you which way you go. But, if I had your equipments, I'd go with the Mac.

You can work on one or the other -- but you can't pass projects back and forth between Macs and PCs. It's one or the other.

Still, a lot depends on what format you plan to work in and what format your existing video is in. What type of camcorder was it recorded with?

And what ultimately is your end goal?

• 2. Re: Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos
            RBK2011 Level 1

Thanks Steve!

I have not started with PrE yet, so will change the drive to NTFS.

My media goal is to create DVDs and photo albums, and generally utilize the many years of accumulated videos and photos.  I have shifted my business and personal applications to Mac to more easily cross-utilize my laptop, iPhone, and iPad. But, since I have hours of video to capture, I hoped I could use both my MacBook Pro and PC to get all of the camcorder videos inputed more quickly. Based on your comment above, it's one or the other...so I will go with the Mac.

As to the type of camcorder: I have upgraded over time and have 4 camcorders with video on various media types....micro-MV, mini-DV, some Hi-8, a few VHS, and recently an AVCHD. 

I recently purchased the Canopus ADVC 110 video converter.  My smartest purchase was your Muvipix.com guide to Photoshop Elements 10 and Premire Elements 10 

My end goal is to utilize/share my photography and videos closer to real time rather than "Capturing" via a closet! 

So, it seems I should not use both systems to more quickly capture past camcorder videos, and I will plan to move forward with the Mac format. Yes?

Thanks again for your help,

Rob

• 3. Re: Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos
              RBK2011 Level 1

Thanks Steve! I have not started with PrE yet, so will change the drive to NTFS. My media goal is to create DVDs and photo albums, and generally utilize the many years of accumulated videos and photos.  I have shifted my business and personal applications to Mac to more easily cross-utilize my laptop, iPhone, and iPad. But, since I have hours of video to capture, I hoped I could use both my MacBook Pro and PC to get all of the camcorder videos inputed more quickly. Based on your comment above, it's one or the other...so I will go with the Mac. As to the type of camcorder: I have upgraded over time and have 4 camcorders with video on various media types....micro-MV, mini-DV, some Hi-8, a few VHS, and recently an AVCHD. I recently purchased the Canopus ADVC 110 video converter.  My smartest purchase was your Muvipix.com guide to Photoshop Elements 10 and Premire Elements 10   My end goal is to utilize/share my photography and videos closer to real time rather than "Capturing" via a closet! So, it seems I should not use both systems to more quickly capture past camcorder videos, and I will plan to move forward with the Mac format. Yes? Thanks again for your help,Rob

Rob Bateman

Strategic Talent Solutions

301 Ericksen Court

Franklin, TN 37067

(M) 970.372.8996

Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 13:04:07 -0700

To: rbkbateman@msn.com

Subject: Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos

Re: Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos

created by Steve Grisetti in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

First, any drive that you're going to use to work with video should be formatted NTFS. So I'd switch that FAT32 drive as soon as possible. Beyond that -- I'm not clear what you're asking. When you say "pass on our family memories to our kids and grandchildren", do you mean making videos and saving them as DVDs... or something else? Premiere Elements comes in both a Mac and a PC version, so it's up to you which way you go. But, if I had your equipments, I'd go with the Mac. You can work on one or the other -- but you can't pass projects back and forth between Macs and PCs. It's one or the other. Still, a lot depends on what format you plan to work in and what format your existing video is in. What type of camcorder was it recorded with? And what ultimately is your end goal?

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4063086#4063086

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4063086#4063086. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 4. Re: Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos

Okay, but you're still going to have to answer my questions if you're looking for specific help.

• 5. Re: Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos
                  RBK2011 Level 1

Sorry for the confusion Steve.  I greatly appreciate Forum and your assistance.

Per your questions in my reply #2 above:

• I wish to capture quite a few hours of camcorder video to create DVDs; post small videos to Smugmug, etc. for family use
                  • Existing video is from 4 different types of camcorders ( I still have the camcorders and the tapes): Mini- DV, Micro-MV, Hi8, VHS, and AVCHD
                  • I have the Conopus ADVC 110 video converter to capture the VHS tapes

My short term goal was to use both my Mac and PC to capture all the existing video so as to save time; once I am caught up with video capture then I would go with the Mac only. 

So, based on your first response, it is not possible/advisable to capture some of my existing video with PrE on a PC then use the Mac to create edited movies/DVDs.

Any concerns or suggestions re: the 4 types of camcorder formats?

Also, should I double my Mac memory from 4GB to 8GB? will this make an appreciable difference?

Thanks again for your advice,

Rob

• 6. Re: Blending Mac and PC to capture years of video and photos

You certainly can capture video on a PC and use it in the Mac version of the program. I do it all the time, and it works great!

Your bigger challenge is mixing those formats -- some of which can be pretty challenging.

MiniDV is great! It's the ideal format for editing on a PC. But MicroMV? That could be a real challenge. It became obsolete within a year of its release.

Fortunately, you've got a Canopus ADVC, which will capture all of those video sources as DV-AVIs, so you'll be all set! Just run the MicroMV, Hi8 and VHS through the Canopus and you'll be all set!

Integrating the AVCHD into the process may be a bit harder. You can capture it into an AVCHD project and then use Share/Computer/AVI to output it too as DV-AVI. Or you can run it through the Canopus ADVC. It's up to you -- and it may be worth experimenting to see which gives the best results.

But I highly recommend gathering all of your video into the same format before you combine it in a project.

As for adding memory to your Mac -- 4 gig should be adequate for running Premiere Elements.