8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 4:19 AM by Claudio González

I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9

Ed_B2011

I allowed Adobe Reader ro update tonight to version 10.1.1 and the font quality is absolutely horrible. The density (boldness) varies in the characters of a single word. The first few characters might be so light as to be almost unreadable, but the next character may be bold. Some characters vary in density when comparing the left to the right side of the single character.

Will I be able to revert to an earlier version by downloading it and installing it?

• 1. Re: I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

If you really want to revert to an older version instead of looking for a solution to your problem, you may want to try the following.

Remove all traces of Reader (not only the program) from your system using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. This is no longer supported by Microsoft because it can produce problems with Win 7, but you can still download it from from places like

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4459

Then, download the Reader installer from

http://get.adobe.com/reader/enterprise/

and perform a clean install.

• 2. Re: I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9
            Ed_B2011 Level 1

Thanks for your response.

It may be that you can help me find a solution and I'd be willing to give that a try.

Version 9 worked perfectly for my needs and I only allowed the update due to 'security' issues.

I searched the forum here for an answer but I found none, although I read several that appeared relevant at first.

After two or three hours of trying different search terms I am fairly sure that nothing is available here to repair the problem I have.

I would be happy to be mistaken and keep AR-X if there is a fix that I can apply without having to spend hours upon hours searching for and trying various fixes.

• 3. Re: I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9
              Xircal Level 3

I didn't find it necessary to go that route for what it's worth Claudio. I simply uninstalled it via Add/Removed Programs and then reinstalled 9.4 and finally updated it to 9.4.6 via the Help | Check For Updates menu.

The reason I switched back to the older version was because 10.1.1. didn't work with my camera's PDF user guide.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9

No doubt that many people can do it the way you did. However, I have also seen many reports of persons who couldn't remove Reader completely by any of the standard methods. I therefore tend to offer the longer route, knowing that it may be unnecessary. As a matter of fact, several persons to whom I have given the same advise have found that their problem is solved just by using the alternative download site offered.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9
                  Ed_B2011 Level 1

I tried your suggestion and ran into another barrier. I downloaded Windows Installer Cleanup and couldn't get it to run. I was advised: Can't find script engine "VBScript" for script C:\users\ed\ . . . .;\StartMSI.vbs

So I removed version X using Control Panel Uninstall program.

I had downloaded version 9, so I executed that file and it installed after I disabled my anti virus.

I am a happy camper, Version 9 is displaying high quality text.

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.

• 6. Re: I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9
                    Ed_B2011 Level 1

Also thanks to you Xircal, my solution was a blend of your advice with that of Claudio.

As noted above, version 9 is working the way it should and I am grateful to have it functioning again.

Thanks and best regards.

ps- I'm new here and don't know exactly how to mark the thread 'Answered' but I'll attempt to do that.

• 7. Re: I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9
                      Xircal Level 3

Claudio González wrote:

No doubt that many people can do it the way you did. However, I have also seen many reports of persons who couldn't remove Reader completely by any of the standard methods. I therefore tend to offer the longer route, knowing that it may be unnecessary. As a matter of fact, several persons to whom I have given the same advise have found that their problem is solved just by using the alternative download site offered.

Claudio, that utility has been replaced by this one: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

Running that worked on this occasion for example: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4048255#4048255

Using the utility you suggested risks damaging Microsoft Office if you happen to have that installed. Microsoft withdrew it because of conflicts with Office 2007 whereby the latter installation no longer worked after running the cleanup utility.

• 8. Re: I want to revert to Adobe Reader 9

Thanks for the info.