4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 7:15 AM by aliceandbeans2011

How do I fix avi files importing only as audio?

aliceandbeans2011

I am trialling Premiere Pro, am new to it and to video editing, and not a techie. Unfortunately, I don't know the camera source for the original files but know it was Sony and a HD. The files came in as extension .avi. They opened with Windows Media - I tried as per one suggestion in the forums to open with Quicktime but same issue. I've also changed the file extension to both .move and .mpeg (I think that was the suggestion) and got ''the file cannot be opened because of a header error'.

I also tried the recommendation I have seen a few times about downloading the ffmpeg.exe and creating a bat file {'error is 'the file has no audio or video streams').

I have also downloaded the k-lite codec pac.

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit operating system. The Codec for the video is H264. I have several files though, the mediainfo on a typical one is below.

Hope you can help as I have a deadline for a client on Tuesday. I can see that many people have had frustrations with importing files into Premiere Pro but I am just a newbie and open to fixing this even though not a techie. I really have little idea what I am doing, so please be patient with me!

General

Complete name                    : D:\docs\LGBT\01778.avi

Format                           : AVI

Format/Info                      : Audio Video Interleave

File size                        : 302 MiB

Duration                         : 9mn 45s

Overall bit rate                 : 4 332 Kbps

Writing application              : Lavf51.12.1

Video

ID                               : 0

Format                           : AVC

Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                   : Baseline@L1.3

Format settings, CABAC           : No

Format settings, ReFrames        : 1 frame

Format settings, GOP             : M=1, N=12

Codec ID                         : H264

Bit rate                         : 4 192 Kbps

Width                            : 1 920 pixels

Height                           : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio             : 16:9

Frame rate                       : 25.000 fps

Color space                      : YUV

Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0

Bit depth                        : 8 bits

Scan type                        : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.081

Stream size                      : 293 MiB (97%)

Audio

ID                               : 1

Format                           : MPEG Audio

Format version                   : Version 1

Format profile                   : Layer 3

Mode                             : Joint stereo

Mode extension                   : MS Stereo

Codec ID                         : 55

Codec ID/Hint                    : MP3

Bit rate mode                    : Constant

Bit rate                         : 128 Kbps

Channel(s)                       : 2 channels

Sampling rate                    : 44.1 KHz

Compression mode                 : Lossy

Stream size                      : 8.93 MiB (3%)

Alignment                        : Aligned on interleaves

Interleave, duration             : 26 ms (0.65 video frame)

Interleave, preload duration     : 26 ms

• 1. Re: How do I fix avi files importing only as audio?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

I have also downloaded the k-lite codec pac.

Congratulations . You have just made a fresh install of Windows and programs almost unavoidable.

NEVER INSTALL CODEC PACKS.

Sony AVCHD cameras never record in an AVI wrapper. You can solve the problem by getting the complete directory and file structure that the shooter used to copy his material from the card to his disk.

• 2. Re: How do I fix avi files importing only as audio?
            aliceandbeans2011 Level 1

Thank you Harm, unfortunately there is no possibility of me contacting the person who shot this (not necessarily a man by the way). It was shot in the northern regions of this country for an NGO, I don't know how they converted the files, but I know it was shot on a Sony HD borrowed from my UN agency, and the AVI files have been sent to me via a circuitous route. So that pathway will be difficult.

By the way, I downloaded the codec pack on advice from one of the posts in this forum, and in fact, after I did so, I managed to copy over two of the films, using the technique that the very helpful Colin Brougham has posted to convert the avi to mp4. Could have been coincidence because now  the rest of the files won't copy over. I'm sorry that I did so if you believe it is such an error, but not sure why it is unavoidable for me to reinstall everything,

Please note again that I am very new to this forum, to Premiere, and am not a techie. I am doing volunteer work and trying to find a constructive solution to this problem.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: How do I fix avi files importing only as audio?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

If there has been no conversion of the original material - which I doubt - then renaming AVI to MTS may work, at least it is worth the try. That still leaves you without all the metadata, but it might be better than nothing at all.

If the source material has been converted, and that is likely, then you have to Google for a converter that changes the format to something editable. Still your best bet is to ask the shooter (M/F) to send you the original files on a data DVD/ USB stick or external disk.

Colin was referring to ffmpeg, not the K-Lite pack. I'm not a fan of ffmpeg since it caused me severe headaches, but Colin has found some ways to make it workable.

• 4. Re: How do I fix avi files importing only as audio?
                aliceandbeans2011 Level 1

Thank you again so much Harm for taking the time to help me. It is greatly appreciated!

You are right that there must have been some conversion, though probably by some kind of accident, as renaming the extension did not give me any result. So I went to your next step and looked for a converter (not sure why I have missed this rather clear instruction that must have come up in other forums), and downloaded Leawo, and after a bit of mucking around on my part (I converted to AVI interleaved cause I couldn't see the AVI with DV codec on the list at first which imported something very wobbly into PP), I seem to have workable files. They possibly are slightly down on the quality which I have read about today (compression??), but hard to tell this late at night and truly don't care about that at this stage. It is not terrible, audio is fine.

After so many hours trying to fix this problem, I am a little in shock and extremely grateful to you.

BTW, yes it was the ffmpeg business that I followed from Colin's instructions: it did work for 2 of the files but not for the rest, which came up as 'file has no video or audio stream'. The k-lite pack was from some other forum/person/advice column, who knows? I looked at so many today.

Now off to edit the video, which is in Thai, a language I am not hugely familiar with, but I will get the gist. Thanks again.