3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2011 6:42 AM by TᴀW

Importing Text & Formatting

MathStudio

Hi All,

I am laying out a book using CS5. I have pdfs of the old books of which I am resetting the text.

To get the text I need I am using acrobat pro to save the chapters as RTF documents to preserve the

formatting i.e. italics and bold.

When I import them into indesign I can get them in with the formating iin place but once I use one of

my paragraph styles (via overide) I loose all of that info.

Can anyone advice?

Many thanks

Matthew

• 1. Re: Importing Text & Formatting
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If you are losing the local formatting overrides, you must be applying the paragraph styles and telling ID to remove local formatting. That said, the best approach here is probably to assign a character style to each type of local formatting and apply it to the text before applying the paragraph styles. There are actually a few scripts floating around here that will do this for you -- parse the whole thing, find variations, create a style, then apply it as necessary. One of the best is Jongware's preptext. See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/429756

• 2. Re: Importing Text & Formatting
            MathStudio Level 1

Peter,

Thank you so much. You have just solved a rather large problem for me. It was preventing me finishing a contract.

A huge relief to find that it can be done and that someone has been kind enough to spare time to help.

Many many thanks

A very happy Matthew Hague

• 3. Re: Importing Text & Formatting
              TᴀW Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jongware's script is excellent, and free!, but it only finds a small

number of local overrides.

If you want a script that will find ALL possible overrides, take a look

at my "Create Character Styles from Overrides" script:

www.freelancebookdesign.com

(look under the "Scripts" menu).

Thanks,

Ariel