10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 5:00 AM by Steve Grisetti

Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems

tcorbet Level 1

As I am sure I am asking a newbie question that has been addressed previously, I apologze.  I did spend several minutes using the forum's search facility with no direct results.  The closest I could find was a thread dealing with focus issues when Pan and Zoom is being applied to a series of images.  I am just attempting to get a clear/crisp result from a single photograph.

The source image is a very well focused, black and white wedding photo.  The tool is doing an excellent job of identifying faces and a very decent job of auto-composing a pan route.  I see/understand the controls that would allow me to modify those behaviors.  What I don't find are:

A.  any control over the focus at the zoomed-in step;

B.  any way to export the result as either a video or a slideshow.

I confess this is my first use of Adobe Premier Elements.  I have used other video edit tools, and without wishing to enrage the posters who are incensed by the "Burns Effect', it was precisely the advertizement of that feature with version 10 that caused me to purchase this software.  So, I hope I can be taught how to cooerce proper focus of each of the Face Frames.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems
          Nash_John Level 3

(A) Sorry but your first question is not very clear to me, but still i am replying to what i understood:

You can zoom into your photo by using the zoom bar at top of monitor in Pan and Zoom tool and you can now using scroll bars move to any part of your photo and focus your frames.

(B) To export the result, you have to complete your editing inside Pan and Zoom tool and then click Done in lower right corner. Then you come out of Pan and Zoom tool. Click on Share tab on upper right corner, and export as you want

If answer to your first question was not what you were asking, please clear your first question a bit.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems
            tcorbet Level 1

01.  As to the focus problem.  I am getting good zoom.  I have modified the settings so that each view is shown for two seconds.  Yet, the focus while the zoom is taking place is blurry AND it remains blurriy after the end of the pan motion.  If, in preview mode, I pause/stop on that view, then, and only then, does the image un-blur, i.e., attain the best possible clarity for that level of zoom from an original.  My standard of comparison, is to perform the same level of zoom with Irfan View, PhotoShop or whatever still tool.  If that level of zoom clarity is possible in those editors, it ought to be possible as output from this effect.  Unfortunately, that is not what I am getting.  I am getting the blurred result.

02.  As to export, yes, I have found how to produce a movie, but I have also seen Adobe references to the production of a 'slideshow' from the Pan-Zoom Tool.  I would like to try that as well.

But, between the two questions, the most important is the clarity of a zoomed shot.  Thanks for any advice you can give -- other, of course, than the advice that it would be nice to have super, high-resoution photos as a starting point.  What I have is a very reasonable 1200x1000 pixels at 150 DPI.

• 3. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you gone back to the timeline view and pressed Enter to render your pan and zoom?

The view you see in the Pan & Zoom workspace is a preview only.

• 4. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems
                tcorbet Level 1

No, I had not noticed that option, but since it was called a preview, I was wary, so I produced the final 96MB result [from a 60 second sequence].  The final result still has very blurry images, both during the pan and when the shot is steady for 2 seconds on each face.  Only if I stop the preview [or use a similar control in another panel] does that frame display at the best resolution/clarity possible at that zoom level.

Trying your suggestion, of switching from Sceneline to Timeline for viewing does make it easier to use my trial-and-error approach to getting it better.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems
                  tcorbet Level 1

Steve,

I have modified your reply from Helpful to Correct.  It seems that, using the 'Render at the Timeline', before using the 'Render at Share' is the necessary/proper sequence for getting the best possible resolution from a given photo.

Thank you.

• 6. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems

Excellent news, T!

Between that and keeping your photos no larger than 1000x750 pixels, you should get excellent results.

(Although, if you want REALLY great photo results, here's a trick from my books. Right-click on each photo on the timeline and select Field Options, then Flicker Removal.)

• 7. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE goes into more detail on Rendering, what it is used for, and even how to limit it, to just an area, that one is working on.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems
                        tcorbet Level 1

Thank you; lots to learn, direction appreciated.

• 9. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

lots to learn

I could not agree more. Though I have done video editing for years  (and cine before that), one of the reasons that I come to these forums is to learn - one will never know it all, and something new is waiting for one, the very next day.

Happy editing,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Pan and Zoom Tool Focus Problems

But, of course, that's why I write my books!

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php