11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 11:08 AM by tmace64

Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?

tmace64

USING:   Adobe Flash CS3 - Action Script 3

TIMELINE:  3 layers, --  Layer 1, flv video - converted to a Movie Clip.   Layer 2, is my button.  Layer 3, is my action script.

My flv video file was imported and converted to a Movie Clip.  My button was created using polygon tool and was converted to a button - and both have instance names.

/////////////////////// MY AS CODE:

lpsample001.stop();

function playMovie(event:MouseEvent):void

{

lpsample001.play();

}

btn01.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, playMovie);

///////////////////////////////////////////////

PROBLEM:  Everything functions great, but my flv video file just stops playing at random points, it doesn't even finish playing, and then, when I click my button a second time, it re-starts playing right where it randomly stopped.  Why does it randomly stop playing at various points on the timeline?

Thank you for your time and any help you may have!!!  I tried to figure this out on my own,,,, but for 2 days, I've failed to do so.

• 1. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?
          tmace64 Level 1

Adobe informed me that this is a Windows update and possible hardware issue.

The original comment here was edited out by me - (tmace64), as a possible solution was posted below.

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you should be playing that flv using an flvplayback component.

otherwise, there are few issues you might be encountering.  do you have more than 16,000 frames in your fla?  are you using preloader code to ensure all frames are loaded before you start play?

your os version and/or your hardware are not the issue.

• 3. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?
              tmace64 Level 1

Thank you, I truly hope you're right - you will make my year if so!!

No, frame count in my FLA file will all be below 300.

No, I'm not using pre-loader code.  But, I do see that all frames load, because when playback stops, I can restart with a click, and it restarts playing right where it stopped - playing the remaining frames......

Thank You!!!

• 4. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?

upload your html and swf to a server and post a link.

• 5. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?
                  tmace64 Level 1

http://www.hypereye.tv/Samples_Legal_Presentations_V1_Page_1.htm

Its at the BOTTOM LEFT,,,, a picture of a gavel with a yellow arrow for the button.

• 6. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?

your timeline probably doesn't have enough frames. 

how long (duration) is the original flv set to play and at what frame rate?  how many frames in the timeline that contain your flv and what's your fla's frame rate?

• 7. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?
                      tmace64 Level 1

My original Quicktime file has 8.9 secs, at 30 fps, 267 frames total.

After converting, my flv file is exactly the same, along with timeline - 267 frames.

Flash doesn't tell me the frame rate for the flv file, but I know I had "framerate same as original" set in Video Encoder when processing into flv.

And my timeline / project is set to same - 30 fps, and again, timeline has 267 frames.

NOTE:  If you click on that swf file uploaded to my site at the link above, you'll get random stops. You'll see this by clicking another time after it stops. Then you'll see, it stops anywhere randomly.

• 8. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?

create a new fla, save in a new directory where you also add your flv file.

in your fla, drag an flvplayback component from the component panel to the stage (select a skin or no skin) and in the properties panel assign the source of your component to be your flv file.  don't use a path, just the file name.

test your fla.  any problem?

• 9. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?
                          tmace64 Level 1

sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by "in your fla" at the start of your second sentence.....

But I followed through as best I could understand.....

In order to create an fla file, I imported my flv file, and selected "stream from web server", and thats when flash makes the fla file which I saved to same directory. This is how I created samples in the past....  It does work fine, and I'm happy with download time.  this new file created under your instruction is uploaded to the same link as above,,, it appears at bottom, just to the right of the problematic file using AS uploaded yesterday.

THIS IS ultimately what I was striving to create by making my own button and using AS.  See this example here:

--- I would love to display my samples similar to these on Fotosearch:

http://www.fotosearch.com/lushpix-backs/law-justice-legal-action/UNG383/

• 10. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?

so, is this issue resolved?  if so,  please mark helpful/correct responses, if there are any.

• 11. Re: Playback of flv randomly stops - Why?
                              tmace64 Level 1

Sir, I can't thank you enough for your kind and generous help here.  I've come full circle.  I tried to improve my online display, but have wound up back where I've been for many years - producing FLAs and using pre-made skins to display my samples online. I've already done this...... I have samples like this already posted on other pages of my site. Slow download times, poor quality, and a worse display and experience than other competition......

I am so sorry for taking your time. I am always embarrassed to come here. I'm sure you understand this.

Prior to the start of this discussion, I was trying to accomplish a sample display similar to what's at the link just above in my last post. Looking at that last link -- if you were me, I don't think you'd consider this situation resolved. I tried to achieve that without taking up your time here.

Thanks again Kglad, I can't thank you enough!!!!  There are many wonderful Flash Pros here!!  I'm always grateful.

Situation resolved?  Beggars can't be choosers........