3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 8:01 AM by the_wine_snob

Can't open video project--missing codecs and offline media

mrskatep

I tried opening a project in Elements 7 (old, I know), but it said that "this type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed." When I close the dialog box the project opens and the music is there, but the pictures and videos have been replaced with a red screen that says "media off-line." I tried opening a different project I created a few weeks ago and it opened just fine.  I store all my projects on an external hard drive.  Any thoughts on how I can get my video back?

• 1. Re: Can't open video project--missing codecs and offline media
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

It appears that the CODEC for the Video is now missing on this computer, or has become corrupted. Take a look at this ARTICLE, and then let us know what the CODEC is.

For Media Offline, this ARTICLE addresses "the usual suspects," and ways to address those issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Can't open video project--missing codecs and offline media
            mrskatep Level 1

Thanks for the help.  With your article and some help from my brother I was able to remap the stuff that was missing and I got my project back.  Yay!

• 3. Re: Can't open video project--missing codecs and offline media
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news!

CODEC's are a subject that could fill a good-sized book (and has), plus new ones, or heavily tweaked ones, appear almost quarterly, so that book would need to be updated every 3, or so, months. For general discussion on CODEC's, there is a link in that mentioned article, down a bit, and more detail is offered.

What often happens is that one will have many CODEC's installed on a computer, and much AV material is covered by those. Then, if the OS gets upgraded, or one moves to another computer, the list of installed CODEC's does not include one that is necessary. In those cases, knowing the exact CODEC required, is the first step (MediaInfo, or G-Spot will be helpful here), and then downloading (might be free, or for pay) and installing the required CODEC, will usually solve the issue - so long as one's NLE (Non Linear Editor) can use that CODEC. Many will just be a simple install and reboot, but some are quite specific, and might, or might not be useful for editing, depending on the NLE. An example of this is DivX, and Xvid, which can be used for playback, and DivX for Encoding out of PrE, but PrE usually does NOT edit material with either of those CODEC's, even if properly installed on a system.

Glad that you got it sorted out, and happy editing,

Hunt