6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2011 10:41 AM by Dave LaRonde

Need help with Aspect ratios?

supersmartdude

hey guys + girls,

I am now using the Avid DNxHD codec as my means of transcoding, and due to that reason, exporting from Premiere Pro requires me to manually input all the values which requires an understanding of what they mean. So in my case that becomes a problem, as I have no idea what aspect ratios I need to be selecting for a particular type of video. Generally I am only dealing with HD 1080p 24fps footage, so I assume I use the HD Anamorphic 1080 setting in the aspect drop down tab. However, I don't know how this differs from using Square Pixels etc.

Can someone give me a quick run down of what this is? Your help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to read the after effects documentation in their help guide but it was quite confusing....

thank you!!

• 1. Re: Need help with Aspect ratios?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should be using the presets. 1080 X 1920 is always square pixels. The other HD codecs may not be, but the presets say things like DVCProHD.

Screen Shot 2011-12-05 at 10.17.22 PM.png

I don't see an HD Anamorphic setting, but in previous versions of AE there was an anamorphic setting for a non HD composition. Rule of thumb, work in square pixels for HD, let AE manage the interpretation of the footage you import but double check to make sure that it's being interpreted correctly. This means you have to know how the footage was shot.

Now comes the questions from me. What are you using to Transcode the footage? What kind of footage was it to start with? What version of AE are you using? What version of Premiere Pro? Usually the Avid codecs are used on an Avid system. AE and Premiere Pro will handle many other formats natively without problems so I also want to know why you're choosing the Avid Codec. One last question. What kind of system? Win/Mac? OS?

• 2. Re: Need help with Aspect ratios?
            supersmartdude Level 1

Hi Rick,

Yes as I mentioned. I am aware of the presets and they have been my go to option up to this point now that I have started using the Avid DNxHD codec to transcode all my footage to transfer from PPro to AE and vice versa. The reason I use this codec is because it is losless while at the same time greatly compressing the size of the footage so I can edit at speed. I have the CS5 suite both AE and PPro and am a PC Windows 7 user.

Using the codec to export via AE isn't the issue as it interprets the footage and provides accurate settings, however with Premiere Pro they need to be inserted manually.

I have tried exporting with all settings and at the moment square pixels seems to come out the best (not sure why though...)

• 3. Re: Need help with Aspect ratios?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

supersmartdude wrote:

I have tried exporting with all settings and at the moment square pixels seems to come out the best (not sure why though...)

Because square pixels is correct. All 1080 X 1920 footage is square pixels. Are you using the media encoder (cue) to transcode your footage? Are you aware that you can save a preset. Here's my pannel where I've set up an HD preset for a Quicktime ProRez 4444 output.

PPro should remember the last preset you used.

panel.png

• 4. Re: Need help with Aspect ratios?
                Dave LaRonde Level 6

A brief word on frame rates...

Unless you're shooting on something like an Alexa, RED One or something equally pricey, your footage is probably NOT 24.  It's probably 23.976, and you need to work at 23.976 in AE to avoid problems down the line.  When dealing in frame rates, those fractions are meaningful.

Of course if you WERE shooting on an Alexa, your footage would be ProRes 4444 and not dnxhd...

• 5. Re: Need help with Aspect ratios?
                  supersmartdude Level 1

thanks Dave. yep it must be 23.976, I use a Canon 5D Mark II to shoot....

• 6. Re: Need help with Aspect ratios?
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

You can always double-check the frame rate by highlighting the footage in the project window, then looking at the clip's information at the top of the window.