30 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 3:51 PM by A.T. Romano

The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.

AmGRK76

When editing my movie in premiere elements 10, the audio sounds like it is in stero (so does the original clip). But when I export as a vmw-fil the audio is now i mono! I have tried copying the audio into the 'audio 2' track, but this not not seem to work either. I have also tried putting the effect 'fill from left' to the audio track.

• 1. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Look at the waveform on the audio tracks on your project's timeline. Is there a waveform on both the right and left channel?

If you can't tell, post a screen shot to this forum and we'll look for you.

• 2. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
            AmGRK76 Level 1

As far as I can see there are two grey waves. But I do not know where to look for the right and left channel?

Here is a screen shot:

audio.JPG

• 3. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.

Unfortunately, I can barely see any audio at all, AmG.

If you go to the Window menu and open Audio Mixer, does your audio register? Does it peak at zero? Does both the right and left channel register when you play your movie?

• 4. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                AmGRK76 Level 1

Here are two scrrenshots of the audio mixer. Looks like there is sound on both sides??

audio3.jpg

audio2.jpg

• 5. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                  nealeh Level 5

Your audio volume is really low on your timeline and mixer. The wave forms should be filling pretty much the whole height of the track. Increase the volume levels - it may just be that with the volume so low you are only hearing the one track. As Steve said you need to peak at '0'.

1.png

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                    AmGRK76 Level 1

Even if I turn the sound on a clip up to +6 it stille doesn't reach 0. And the wave forms are still very 'flat'. Can I have turned the volume down while importing the media? Is there a way to turn it up??

When I export the video, there is absolutely no sound in the right ear. So it doesn't seem as if it is turned down - just off somehow. And it is wierd because while editing I can hear sound in both ears.

• 7. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                      nealeh Level 5

Where did the clip come from?

You may only be hearing it during editing because you're compensating by turning the volume right up. To check play an ordinary DVD on your PC and set the volume level to something comfortable. Now play your clip without adjusting the volume - does it sound much the same as the ordinary DVD?

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                        AmGRK76 Level 1

If have already spent hours editing my whole project, so if there somehow is a solution to this the problem, I would be very gratefull!! :-)

• 9. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Within PrE, there are basically 3 ways to adjust the "Volume" of Audio. This ARTICLE goes into using the tools available.

Beyond PrE, one can also edit Audio in other programs, such as the free Audacity. Sometimes, the greater control in an audio-editing program is worth the effort. See this ARTICLE for how to Export/Share Audio for additional editing.

To investigate why your Audio is so low, we need to know exactly how the footage was recorded (make/model of camera), and then how it was ingested into PrE, per Neale's request.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.

You'd be best to right-click on each audio clip on your timeline, select Audio Gain and set the Normalize level.

Start with setting it to 10 or 12 and see if that makes a difference.

Your problem is that your sound is recorded very poorly and at a very low volume.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                              Asti77

Hello!

I'm using Adobe Elements 12 and I have the same problem. My Audio is in stereo and when I play it in Adobe Elements I get Stereo-Sound. But after export I get only mono. I have tried many ways - the same result..... :-(

• 12. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

asti77

Best to start you own new thread rather than to tack on to a 3 year old thread.

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on? Have you updated 12 to the 12.1 Update, using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please do so.

When you are in the Edit area of the program, open Window Menu/Audio Meters. When the Audio Meter is opened and you play back the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor, do you see 2 channels in the Audio Meter or 1 channel? If 2 channels seen, is there activity in both during playback? If 1, is any activity seen in the 1 channel?

Under fx Effects/Audio Effects/Fill from Left and Fill from Right, have you applied either on of those to your Timeline footage before export and obtained

your stereo instead of mono sound?

Please describe in detail your export settings....Publish+Share/Computer/then what? What preset? Are you using the default settings for that preset? If no, what are your audio settings under the Advanced Button/Audio Tab of the selected preset?

Have you checked out your sound system?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 13. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                  Asti77 Level 1

Probably you are right, I better should have staret a new thread. English is not my main language (I'm from Germany) so I thought it would be easyer tu use this thread than to find the words for a new one :-)

I use Premiere Elements 12.1 and its runing on Windows 7. When Audio meter is opened and I play back I have 2 channels and on both I have activity. Bevore exporting I did no Audio Effects. Now after your answer I tryed du use these fill frim left/right effects - but no differnce. One thing I really don't understand: on my first Test-Video I got Audio on left and right afert expeort. But I don't remeber that I have cahenged any settings.... My Sound System should be ok. I alredy use it with Cubase and other Software without any problems. I have attached some pics, may be it will help - even it's in german....

Audio-File_2014-09-27_23-33-07.jpgExportsettings_2014-09-27_23-34-53.jpgSettings_2014-09-27_23-26-31.jpg

Settings_2014-09-27_23-28-13.jpgSettings_2014-09-27_23-30-17.jpg

• 14. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

Thank you for the screenshots, very helpful.

With the export that is presenting with mono sound, have you confirmed whether or not the export displays audio as mono in a properties read out?

See MediaInfo (Tree View which has a very detailed view of the audio and video properties).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

If you export your Timeline to Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p25, do you get an export whose sound is monoaural instead of stereo?

I will think about this some more.

Thank you for the follow ups.

ATR

• 15. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                      Asti77 Level 1

Hi

With your described export I get mono sound. I have checke the Mediainfo to my first export. May be you see something wrong?

MediaInfo.jpg

• 16. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

Thanks for the reply. I want to make sure that we are OK with the details.

Please confirm "Is the MediaInfo Tree View" for the AVCHD.mp4 or the H.264.f4v?"

From what you wrote, I am understanding that it is for the .f4v file. If that is the case, the audio properties readout shows that

you have produced a file with Stereo (2 channel) sound and not Mono (1 channel).

If you are not hearing Stereo (2 channel) sound, the please check out

Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware and click on ASIO, followed by looking at the Output setting.

What happens if you play back the file on another computer?

You also wrote

With your described export I get mono sound

In view of your screenshot for the .f4v, please look at the .mp4 audio MediaInfo properties again to determine if it shows

Channel(s): 2 channels

Channel positions: Front: L R

as does that for the .f4v file.

We will be looking forward for your results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 17. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                          Asti77 Level 1

Hello

the MediaInfo is from the .f4v file. To the .mp4 file it is simila - also 2 channels. I have played the video with a other computer and the sound is also only 1 channel. Now I have made a new installation on my notebook to check if there is any different. I have copied al the files to the notebook and started an export. Result: the sound is only 1 channel :-(

I have also checked the Audio properties but for me it looks everything is ok there. I can send you screenshots of these properties tomorrow. May be you see something what I don't see.

Thank you you for helping!!!

• 18. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

Thanks for the update. Puzzling. I will be watching for the screenshots.

What are the properties of the files that you are putting on the Premiere Elements Timeline for export? Any chance you are starting with Xvid.avi or DivX.avi?

After I look at the screenshots and depending on the results, would it be possible to post a small clip of the problem export in a Dropbox link posted in your thread?

Please remind me...if you take the H.264.mp4 file which you export with Stereo but which you are hearing mono and import it back into a Premiere Elements project, does Premiere Elements Properties call the audio imported Stereo or Mono?

Your follow ups are much appreciated.

ATR

• 19. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                              Asti77 Level 1

Hello

Thanks for taking care :-)

I do not any changes to the files which I export... When I import the H264.mp4 file it is described as Stereo but it show only one wave and I get only 1 channel output (left). I have put a small part of this clip to dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/xeon5g56nypuyov/Cut_1.f4v?dl=0

I send you some screenshoot of my Audio settings. I have one onbord-soundcard and one extern Audio-Interface (M-Audio Profire 610). I have tried to expoert the clip with both of them. So I send you shreenshoot of both. I relly do not understand what is going wrong in my export. With Cubase I have made many records (mono and stereo) und I never had problem to get 2 channel output,

Audio_2014-09-29_22-16-50.jpgAudio_M-Audio-Interface_2014-09-29_22-19-09.jpg

Audio_M-Audio-Interface_Output_2014-09-29_22-20-22.jpgAudio_M-Audio-Interface_Output_2014-09-29_22-21-13.jpg

Audio_Realtek_2014-09-29_22-17-49.jpgAudiogerät-Settings_Realtek_2014-09-29_22-15-26.jpg

Looking forwart to her what you can say.

• 20. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

Thank you for the sample and the information that you sent to help us resolve the audio issue that you are having.

I have downloaded and looked at your .f4v file.

No where in the properties readout for the export .f4v does it indicate that you produced mono audio - we see that

in MediaInfo, Gspot, and even in Premiere Elements Properties when I re-import the f4v export.

However, when I look at the waveform on the Premiere Elements audio track, there is only waveform and that is for the left channel.

Although the audio meter has 2 channels, there is only the left channel that is active at playback of the Premiere Element .f4v

export in a new project.

When I start a whole new project with my own video/audio and export to .f4v or .mp4, the export's audio is Stereo from all

the readout, and there are two 2 active channels on the audio track and in the audio meter.

All this takes me back to the question - please remind me - what are you putting on the Premiere Elements Timeline to

generate your .f4v? What was the ultimate source of the source of the Timeline content that went into the .f4v?

(Brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the original video and audio (assume together).

I will be back later with more comments.

Thanks for the sending. Very informative.

ATR

• 21. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                  Asti77 Level 1

Hello ATR

I have checked the camera settings .and the cam get stereo sound. I use a Canon EOS 6d. I made a short clip and checked it without editing and the original sound has stereo - left and right. I started an new project in Premiere Elements and have imported this clip, imported Musik and also recorded spoken commends with Microphone and made an export to mp4. file. Ok, the sound was a little crazy - I got stereo output. I have sound on left and right channel. To the "problem clip" and this new clip the main project settings are the same, as I can see. I'm not shure if Premiere has canged something "automaticly".

Main_Project_Settings_2014-09-30_22-02-14.jpg

Whe I tried to open this new test clip again I got this error:

Premiere Elements Debug Event_2014-09-30_22-47-45.jpg

Ihe same error I got to the "problem clip" some days ago. I have saved all the file of the project into an ohter folder, deletet the files from original project folder and reimported the saved files. Then I could open the project again.But the audio problem I had already before this error. Now it looks that I have to play this clip with only one Channel or to make this projekt again from beginnig.

Thanks for taking care!

• 22. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

Thank you for the follow up. The results have been challenging.

If you are at a point where you can take your source with stereo into a new Premiere Elements project and get a stereo output, then it may be worthwhile and time saving in the long run to redo the project. Trying to deal with the ups and downs of a questionable project often leads to more problems.

The cure is often as bad as the problem. Please take a look at this thread that I found on your error shown in the screenshot of the Premiere Elements Debug Event in post 21 of your thread.

Re: Elements 10 Error: d:\pre\mediacore\mediafoundation\api\inc\Keyframe/Keyframe.h-142

Please update us on your progress when you get a chance. I will continue to think about the issue that you presented.

ATR

• 23. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                      Asti77 Level 1

Hello again!

Last night I have redone the complete video. When I finished it was already morning so I saved the project and went to bed. Now I want to export the project to mp4 but Premiere Elements make the same debug whitch I worte in my last post - I can't open the Project. Now I really don't understand what is this software for? First after many hours working I get not correct sound. Then after redoing again for some hours I can't open the Project!

• 24. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

Sorry to hear the news of the first project problem repeating in the second repeat project.

After you started the new second project, at any time did you save close re-open it once you started the project?

If you did, how many times were you able to save close reopen this second project before this last time when it would not

open after the save close?

What was the last action that you took in the project before the last save close?

With this second project, were you able to produce AutoSaves that could be opened and used in Premiere Elements?

ATR

• 25. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                          Asti77 Level 1

At last I put a ending frame with a short text. I have started the new project and didn't close Premiere Elements before finishing the project. Only after finishing the project I have close premiere. So I could not reopen it any time.

• 26. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

I do not know if I hold out much hope for the following, but let us try it....

Go to the save location of this project file that will not open...if you have stayed with the defaults

Libraries/Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/12.0.

In the 12.0 Folder should be your project.prel file for the problem project.

Copy the project.prel file and paste the copy in that same 12.0 Folder. Then change the name of that

copy to "New Working.prel".

Right click the New Working.prel file, select Open with, and then double check that you are selecting Premiere Elements 12 as the

Open with.. Does the project open in Premiere Elements 12?

ATR

• 27. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                              Asti77 Level 1

Ok I have tried, but the project do not open. It's the same default.

• 28. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

Sorry to learn that the project remains unopened after the save close.

Please remind me if you purchased your Premiere Elements 12 as a download from Adobe direct.

If you did, how about downloading and installing a new set of installation files with antivirus and firewall(s)

disabled? Then try to open your saved closed Premiere Elements 12 project file in the new installation.

Source of new files

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/other-downloads.html

Before you consider the above...in this last case, did you have time to save AutoSaves of the project that will

not now open? If so, have you tried to open each of the AutoSaves to try to recover this latest project?

ATR

• 29. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                                  Asti77 Level 1

Hello

I have tried to open the AutoSaves and I was able to open one of them. It opens the Project in status when in was almost in begining. If I want to use it, I have to redo the most parts of the project again. So I have tried one other thing: I took an other software an made the project again. And what should I say? It works wierry well! Doing the project, save, close, open again, change something, save, close, open again.... exported the project and got perfect sound.

After this all I have decided to not use Premiere Elements anymore because it does not work. No worth to do a project if I don't know if I will get correct sound or even if I can reopen the project.

Ok Elements is not like his big Brother Premiere Pro, but if Adobe takes money for that, it has to work.I have checked out german forums and I see that really the most people have exactly the same problems. I am using other Adobe-Software since some years - but about this Software I am absoluteley disapointed. However, thank you for helping!

• 30. Re: The audio of my exported movie is in mono - but I need it to be stereo.
                                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Asti77

Great news that you found a software that allowed you to import, edit, and export your source without issue.

I am not sure why Premiere Elements 12/12.1 on Windows 7 was not doing the job for you, especially with the audio content.

We were glad for the opportunity to try to be of assistance, and we thank you for considering the troubleshooting

suggestions.

Best wishes as you move forward with your video projects.

ATR