7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 6:09 AM by Paul Wirral

Changing frame rate on time-lapse

Paul Wirral

I Have HD time-lapses which have been encoded on Prem Pro CS5.5 at 24fps.

I want to have these clips also at 30fps without losing quality.

Presumably I cannot simply take the original project and re-encode at 30fps but need to go the "long way round" and re-import the stills onto a 30fps timeline?

Thanks for any imput.

Paul

• 1. Re: Changing frame rate on time-lapse
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I'm not exactly sure what you're driving at... are you saying that you built the timelapse on a 24fps timeline using stills? And you want it on a 30fps timeline? I would just create a 30fps timeline and nest your 24fps timeline into it... it should do just fine. Alternately you could use AME to create a 30fps export from your 24fps timeline, which should also work okay... I'd suggest doing both and seeing which gives you the better result.

If you want to start from "scratch" without nesting the timelines, then create a 30fps timeline, select all the elements on your 24fps timeline using the multi-select tool, hit "Ctrl/Cmd+C" and then go to your 30fps timeline, put your CTI where you want the timelapse to start, and hit "Ctrl/Cmd+V" to paste all the stills over to your new timeline. Should work just fine for you.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Changing frame rate on time-lapse
            Paul Wirral Level 1

David - thanks for your reply.

Sorry my post wasn't too clear - I'm a stills photographer and relatively new to video and am not fully up to speed with how things should be worded.

I shot a time-lapse using a still camera.

In PP I imported the stills onto a 24fps timeline and exported the video using AME at 24fps.

So I now have many projects and sequences of time-lapses set up, all done on 24fps.

I now want to ALSO have these time-lapses at 30fps (and maybe later at 25fps) as I want to be able to offer various fps videos.

Of course I could create more projects with timelines of 30fps and import my stills again, but I was wondering if there was a more elegant (and quicker) way of creating time-lapses of different fps.

What I don't want to do is "convert" 24fps to 30fps as I know that's to be avoided if at all possible.

In the end the quality of the end result is more important than how long it takes me to achieve it.

The main reason for the question here is that I don't know at what stage PP would convert to 30fps using my original 24fps. In other words at what stage is a time-lapse a video and not a simple series of stills?

As you say, the easiest would be to simply use AME to create a 30fps export from the 24fps timeline - but have I then made a 30fps video from a 24fps video - which is to be avoided?

Hope that makes sense

• 3. Re: Changing frame rate on time-lapse
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Were these imported as "numbered stills", or just as individual images?

• 4. Re: Changing frame rate on time-lapse
                Paul Wirral Level 1

I imported them as "numbered stills"

• 5. Re: Changing frame rate on time-lapse
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

OK.

Right click on the clip in the bin and select Modify>Interpret Footage.  Change the frame rate and add it to the desired sequence.

• 6. Re: Changing frame rate on time-lapse
                    Paul Wirral Level 1

Thanks Jim,

Works a treat!

• 7. Re: Changing frame rate on time-lapse
                      Paul Wirral Level 1

Thanks for the helpful suggestions

Cheers.