10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 9:20 AM by the_wine_snob

Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable

AirwolfGT

Hey there,

I have a problem with the endtitle.

It rolls from the right side to the left side. If I watch it in Premiere it looks very well,

but after saving the movie as an mpeg-file the quality of the movie is great but the endtitle

looks terrible...what could be a reason and how can I make it look better?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Titles can be a bit tricky, in that for ultimate readability, one needs to do some designing. This ARTICLE gives links to some good discussion on the choice of fonts. The same goes for DVD/BD Menus, and their text too.

Can you also give us the specs. of your Project Preset and then the Export/Share settings for the MPEG output?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
            AirwolfGT Level 1

Thanks =)

I tried nearly every possible file-format to export...the best for me (cause I need the movie on a DVD and otherwise the size is too big) is "HD 720p 30"

for process:

25-fps-timecode

recording format: HDV

what else do you need to know?

I think the problem is the length of the title...the shorter it gets the faster it scrolls and the other way round.

It's getting better if it scrolls slower, but now I have the problem that I can't make the title longer anymore! :/

ah and the font style is "eurostile"...so nothing very special...

• 3. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
              the_wine_snob Level 9

With HD material and an HDV Project Preset, the Title should look very good. Now, as you are starting with HD, there is one more step included - the down-rezzing to SD (Standard Def), and that degrades the images, including Titles.

If you are going to DVD (SD by definition), probably the best, and easiest way to accomplish this is to edit your HD material in a matching HD Project Preset, and then Export/Share to DV-AVI, which will be SD. Then, Import that DV-AVI into an SD DV Project, and author to DVD.

What program are you using to author the DVD, as some work better with certain material, than others?

For HD to SD, this TUTORIAL might be useful for ultimate results. It relies on several open-source, freeware programs, but the results are about as good as it gets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
                AirwolfGT Level 1

Thank you Bill for you fast response!

But this cant be the problem...cause as longer the title gets the better it looks...longer=slower scrolling.

There must be another way...the rest is perfect...my problem is just the endtitle.

• 5. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
                  nealeh Level 5

Burn it to a re-writeable DVD and see how it looks on your TV. You may very well find it looks great then.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
                    AirwolfGT Level 1

@Neale: This Video is for watching on PCs...I just need it on DVD to send it around...It's some kind of promotion.

• 7. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, if one uses the Title Animation Presets, the Duration of the Title affects the speed of the Animation.

As the Title Animation Presets do not offer much control, other than that speed/Duration, mentioned above, I normally use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, to "animate" my Titles. This gives me ultimate control, and will even allow me to do things like "pause" a Title, within the animation.

I also normally use an old "rule of thumb" by keeping the Title on-screen to give the viewer time to read it 1.5 times, and also use large, bold san-serif fonts, with good contrast in both density and color, for ultimate readability.

Most of my Projects are SD to start, with DVD-Video being the ultimate output, and my Titles look great on an SD CRT TV, and with a good, up-rezzing DVD, or BD player, quite good on an HD TV.

Now, with an MPEG output, quality, and especially regarding motion (what you have with an animated Title), much will depend on the Bit-Rate of the output file.

For playback on PC's, it sounds like you are creating a DVD-Data disc (not a DVD-Video), with just the MPEG file. Is that correct?

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
                        nealeh Level 5

AirwolfGT wrote:

I can't make the title longer anymore! :/

Why? If you drag the title end marker to the right you lengthen its running time and it will run slower.

Cheers,
                        --
                        Neale
                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 9. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
                          AirwolfGT Level 1

@nealeh: no chance!...there comes a last scene with another title :/

• 10. Re: Problem: after saving endtitle gets unreadable
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

If one Title leads into another, you can still expand the Duration of one, or both, by Click-dragging on the Tail of the first (or both), to "slow things down." Now, if you are trying to match the total Duration of the Video, to existing Audio, you might need to do some more work.

As a tip, with Video & Audio, it's usually a good thing to add a bit of Black Video, say 2 sec. to the Video Track, and then end the Audio, slightly before the end of that Black Video. There are both aesthetic and technical reasons for doing so. I also include about 2 sec. of Black Video at the start of the Timeline, and then Cross-Dissolve, or Dip-to-Black (same for the Black Video at the end) from that to the first "real" Video Clip, and my Audio begins at about that 2 sec. mark. This gives a DVD player time to "lock onto" the Audio Stream. This is especially good, with high-end DVD players, and Dolby Audio, as it can take about 2 sec. for the player to get everything ready to play the Audio.

Good luck,

Hunt