Exporting to PDF from PM was never very reliable. What operating system and what version of distiller are you using?
Operating system is XP, most recent service pack.
Distiller version is 4 and 6.
Have you tried to distill the PDF?
I still keep Pagemaker on my XP systems also for clients that need to send me those types of files.
Okay, onto your issue! Pagemaker uses the settings in either Adobe PDF or Acrobat Distiller within the "Print" settings when you export directly to PDF. If you go to your "Printers and Faxes" under the start menus, go to the Properties and then the Printing Preferences under Acrobat Distiller to start. Go to the Adobe PDF tab. Is the box checked for "Do Not Send Fonts to Distiller" ? If so, uncheck that and save settings. That might fix things. Sometimes these settings go back to default after an Adobe update.
Preferrably however, you should be going through your print feature in Pagemaker and making a Postscript file first that you will then run through your Distiller for the best PDF (and not directly exporting PDF's from Pagemaker). You should have job options set up in Distiller for your needs, and then your PDF's will be created as you need them to be. The PDF export out of Pagemaker doesn't use those settings on the new Distiller versions (unless you only have Acrobat 5 on your computer, which I doubt).
Hope that helps!
To Bob Levine:
I tried to go through Distiller to produce the PDF. I was almost positive that I had tried that before, with the same results. However, I tried again anyway, and found that if I selected the "download font option" (which I normally do so all fonts are embedded), I received the same error. BUT, if I selected the "none" option for font download, Distiller was able to produce the PDF. I then opened the PDF to see if any fonts were embedded in the file, and both Acrobat and Reader indicated that the fonts were indeed in the PDF (even though I selected "none" for the download font option). My concern now is which to believe: the options or the PDF file.
(Since commercial offset printers no longer accept PMDs, this has become more of a problem. Before, I provided the native files, along with the fonts, and everything worked fine.)
Thanks again in advance for your time.
Thanks for the suggestion. My initial thoughts on the problem was that there was a problem with the process, and not necessarily the fonts. I looked at all my printers and drivers, but none of them had the option for "do not send fonts to distiller", nor did they have an Adobe PDF tab. (I have both Distiller 4 and 6, but tend to use 4 most of the time. I get the same results with either version, however.)
When you print from Pagemaker to make a postscript file, do you choose "Adobe PDF" or "Acrobat Distiller" ? Curious how your PM is making a postscript file.
When generating PDF output from Pagemaker, I've used 2 methods:
This method works fine for a limited number of fonts (AGaramond for example), which is why I started this post. Bob Levine had suggested using Distiller instead.
2. File>Printer Styles>Acrobat
I usually used this method when an offset printer requires crop marks, since the other method does not provide an option for crop marks.
This opens a window with numerous options, the pertinent ones to my question are:
Printer: New 2002 PPD for Adobe PS Driver on file
PPD: Adobe PDF 3015.102
Postscript: Download Fonts (3 options):
True Type and Type 1
True Type Only
When I choose download "True Type and Type 1", I get the same "cannot embed font" error if I use most of my fonts (with the exception of a few that work).
When I choose NONE for the option, the PS file is generated without errors.
Once the .ps file is generated, I then use Distiller 4 to open the file and output PDF file.
If I used "True Type and Type 1" for download font option, and the font does not generate an error, the PDF file is fine.
If I used "NONE" for download font option, when I open the PDF, it indicates that the fonts are embedded. However, since I do not download the font, I am nervous that this might cause problems when I go to an offset printer.
I do not print to a file using a printer driver (for example Linotype, Acrobat, etc.). The 2 processes I've used seem to be independent of what the default printer is on the operating system (XP).
FWIW, try re-installing the fonts, especially the Type1 fonts, making sure you have full admin rights.
And trash all the font cache files (forgotten their names as it's so long since I last did it), and the PM configuration/preference files (any forgotten their names, *.CNF? )
Again, I'm going to go back to the "Printers and Faxes" area. If you right click on Adobe PDF, then choose Properties, and then printing preferences, do you see this Adobe PDF tab? You mentioned before you couldn't see this. If you have the "Rely on system fonts only" checked, that might be your problem. (Acrobat Distiller under the "Printers and Faxes" shows a few different options (such as a checkbox for "Do not send fonts to Distiller"), and that's the one I originally checked, and is why I asked how you were printing to postscript).
And maybe you should try, just for good measure, to File, Print, Adobe PDF, and make the postscript file this way (after you've checked what boxes you have checked in the Adobe PDF preferences first).
I swear, this works for me everytime! The once or twice a year it doesn't, I go to the print preferences and 100% of the time will find that an Acrobat update changed my settings in my print preferences back to default. A few adjustments and I'm back to working!