15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2011 9:31 PM by heil_cf2

Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?

heil_cf2

I am new to inDesign, need to bring Punjabi Language story already typed in MS Word, but when I copy paste to inDesign 5.5, it changes the text. Is there any way to resolve this issue, or I have to buy IndicPlus? if there is any better solution please advise, thanks

• 1. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What happens if you place the document into InDesign?

Bob

• 2. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
            heil_cf2 Level 1

the words all got mangled up, it makes spelling mistakes so to speak off, i have Punjabi fonts installed, but somehow indesign doesn't understand the complex words,

thx

• 3. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In CS5.5, if you turn on the World-Ready Composer, then those words should render correctly, assuming that you're using correctly encoded fonts, of course. (You probably are, unless you're coming back to Punjabi typesetting after a 15-year break.)  It might work better if you place instead of copy/paste, but both methods should work.  I'd just be nervous about what the clipboard was doing to my complex-script text.

Also, note that when you're using the WRC you're using something that Adobe doesn't support, or mention in its help files.

• 4. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                heil_cf2 Level 1

hi, how can I turn on world composer, I looked it everywhere, no help, thanks

• 5. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?

It's on the page I sent you to:

InDesign Scripts & Scripting

Here are some simple scripts, which you may download under the license terms below (don’t download unless you read and agree to the terms). These scripts can help anybody access both the World-ready Composer

The one you'd want is called r2l-assign_WR_para_composer.jsx

• 6. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                    heil_cf2 Level 1

Hi,I installed the script, run script, copy from MS word and paste it into the inDesign, but still getting the same problem, thanks for your help though, i think IndicPlus is the only solution, and for Adobe, shame on you, you are one of the biggest software companies out there, and you can't take care of the basic stuff, if you want $2500 for your softwares, put some brain into it too, thanks

• 7. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?

You Are Wrong.

Today I have already typeset some Punjabi, some Tibetan, some Lao, some Khmer, some Arabic, some Farsi... I think that's all of the complex script languages I've done today. I have done all of this with the WRC. So, if there's a problem... it's your problem. Something is wrong with your font, or your workflow, or the script, or something.

I'm happy to help you figure it out if you change your attitude.

That being said, while IndicPlus is not the only solution, it is a good one.

• 8. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                        heil_cf2 Level 1

I might be wrong, as I told in the begining of the first post I AM NEW TO inDesign, and its the first time ever I am using Punjabi in a professional enviornment, the problem is, I didn't type the text in inDesign, My team in India typed it using some online keypad (google may be), send it over to me via facebook, i copied and pasted it to ms word, edited it for content and spelling mistakes, copied from there to inDesign, and in there its all messed up, I am not new to computers or Adobe, so I used photoshop to check it out, and guess what? its all messed up in there too as well. This is the whole story, and I am sorry if I was rude or something, thanks for your help,

and for Adobe : I am using your products for last 11 years, love them, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere and many more, never had a problem until I came across this, having highest expectations towards your products, I would never imagined that the basic copy and paste thing don't work flawlessly in your products, thats all I have to say. thanks

• 9. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

You are not speaking to Adobe here. This is a User to User forum.

We’re just customers, like you.

Bob

• 10. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                            heil_cf2 Level 1

yes sir, I am aware that I am that stupid who thinks that Adobe is a guy. loll,

just type punjabi fonts problem in indesign on google, see what forum shows up, this one right here, there might be thousands of customers who have problem like this with inDesign, when they look for solution, they goto google, and then they will come here, and then may be some low paying guy from PR of Adobe will find out about it and may be they listen to him to fix the problem, and I am that stupid that Adobe will listen to our problem, fix it and come back with a smile on their face.

and, you are not helping with the real problem by pointing this out, please focus,

thanks,

• 11. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Joel is about as expert in complex scripts and InDesign as anyone on the planet. If he says there's a problem on your end, I'd start to listen, and ask for some more help. Since he said the method you were using ought to work, there's probably a good chance that the problem is in the fonts themselves (and he may have a method for dealing with that), but this outside my area. Why not post back with the names and versions of the fonts you are trying to use and see if he recognizes them and has an idea.

• 12. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?

My team in India typed it using some online keypad (google may be), send it over to me via facebook, i copied and pasted it to ms word, edited it for content and spelling mistakes, copied from there to inDesign, and in there its all messed up,

Hm, well, if it's in the Google online keyboard, then chances are good that it's well-encoded. Like Peter says, telling us the name of the fonts used in (Word and in ID) will help.

One thing to note: I've not tried to use one of those scripts since CS4 (I went out and bought World Tools from in-tools.com, it's great but doesn't have any Indic-language-specific tools) so the script might not have worked. Here's how to check: click that little button in the upper-right hand corner below the maximize/minimize buttons:

Untitled.png

If there is a check next to either the Adobe Paragraph Composer or the Adobe Single-Line Composer... then the World-Ready COmposer is not on. It's possible that the script won't work in CS5.5, since is was written for CS4. If the WRC is on, then there shouldn't be any check here at all.

Another place to look is in the Justification menu:

Untitled.png

If the WRC is definitely on: then it may well be the font. I've never seen a Gurmukhi-script font that worked in Word but not ID, but I have seen this in other complex-script languages (Tibetan, Khmer).

Lastly, with respect to the how-to-communicate-with-Adobe issue: I think you have a very good reason to want to communicate your stance to Adobe. However, we non-employees who post here regularly do get a little tetchy when people whom we're trying to help (for free!) post angrily over Adobe's supposed problems. If we manage to figure out that there is something genuinely wrong here,  that Adobe can fix, then I will certainly help you find a way to communicate with actual Adobe employees (either by feature request form, or by starting a support case).

• 13. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Joel Cherney wrote:

One thing to note: I've not tried to use one of those scripts since CS4 (I went out and bought World Tools from in-tools.com, it's great but doesn't have any Indic-language-specific tools) so the script might not have worked.

Most CS4 scripts should work if put into a subfolder named "Version 6.0 Scripts" (without the quotes), so if you find it didn't work the first time, try that too.

• 14. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                                    heil_cf2 Level 1

hi, I am sending you the screen shots from MS word and InDesign, and my little window doesn't look like yours upper-right hand corner below the maximize/minimize buttons,

thanksinDesign-Punjabi-Problem.jpg

• 15. Re: Is there any alternative to IndicPlus to copy paste from MS word?
                                      heil_cf2 Level 1

awesome it worked, thanks for your help, I figured out from your answers and your script worked, I followed Joel's guidence in the last screen grab and it worked, there is some words which still are problem, but if I change the font Raavi with Anmol Lippi, everything works fine,

I could never have solved the problem without your help,

thanks a lot.

to Adobe: hire Joel and make him head of Universal Language department,