11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 11:43 AM by John Hawkinson

I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...

Andrea Russell Level 1

I have CS5 but my new client uses CS5.5 is there any way to open their files in CS5 or is there any way they could save it another way on their machine so I can open it in CS5. I do not want at all to upgrade to CS5.5 right now. Is there any other way... ??

• 1. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
          Andrea Russell Level 1

If I use the trial version for now would I be able to print etc. while I am trying it then at the end of the 30 days when I do upgrade I would be able to use my files just fine right? I just need to figure out the best way to do this.

• 2. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
            John Hawkinson Level 5

You can ask your client to Export their CS5.5 documents to IDML before giving them to you.

This isn't really recommended, sometimes there can be changes, though from 5.5 to 5 they are minimal.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
              Andrea Russell Level 1

Can you tell me where to find information on how to do this?

You can ask your client to Export their CS5.5 documents to IDML before giving them to you.

This isn't really recommended, sometimes there can be changes, though from 5.5 to 5 they are minimal.

• 4. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
                John Hawkinson Level 5

They just go to File > Export and export the document to an IDML file; there's not much to it. You can do the same in CS5, the user interface for this has not changed.

IDML is the version-independent file format that InDesign uses for a number of purposes including moving

CS5.5 content to CS5, CS5 to CS4, etc.

• 5. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Whether you want to upgrade or not is irrelevant. If you want to continue to work with this client and not look foolish upgrading is your only real option.

Sorry to sound so cold but that’s the reality of the situation.

Bob

• 6. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...

Just to be clear…there is no etc for IDML. It’s only compatible with 5.5, 5 and 4.

Bob

• 7. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...

Andrea Russell wrote:

If I use the trial version for now would I be able to print etc. while I am trying it then at the end of the 30 days when I do upgrade I would be able to use my files just fine right? I just need to figure out the best way to do this.

The trial is identical in every way to the full version. In fact, should you buy you can just enter the serial number at the nag screen and that will be that.

Bob

• 8. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
                        Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

i'm with Bob's first post on this - upgrade. exporting SHOULD work BUT doesn't always.

had a real-world failure thanks to an IDML exported from 5.5 so i could work with it in 5... on a one page document (was a carton). a picture changed size and position. no way for me to have known without a hard copy or PDF... luckily it was noticed by the client while on proof, but it paves the way for catastrophes if they didn't notice.

• 9. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
                          John Hawkinson Level 5

Bob:

there is no etc for IDML. It’s only compatible with 5.5, 5 and 4.

There's plenty of etc! I actually meant there were other uses than file conversion to older versions. Basically anytime you want to feed an XML representation of the entire InDesign layout to some other tool. I realize this only comes up every day for a small few of us :-).

had a real-world failure thanks to an IDML exported from 5.5 so i could work with it in 5... on a one page document (was a carton). a picture changed size and position. no way for me to have known without a hard copy or PDF... luckily it was noticed by the client while on proof, but it paves the way for catastrophes if they didn't notice.

As you describe it, this behavior sounds like a fairly serious bug. Did you file it, or find any explanation for it? Do you still have the example?

Did the IDML change size/position when re-opened in CS5.5?

That sort of thing is not normal... (But certainly it is possible.)

• 10. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
                            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

@John H

I have not reported it as a bug, nor found an explanation for it or been able to replicate the fault with other files.

Put simply, the client supplied a packaged cs5.5 file. The client was asked to prepare an IDML file given that my employer does not have CS5.5. Once supplied, this was placed into the same directory as the original native file and opened in CS5 (mac 10.6.8). It was one page with five lines of type and five or so graphics placed into the art.

Could simply be a case of operator error, either by the client while preparing the IDML, or my fault when opening the IDML (e.g. not fully paying attention to dialog boxes as the artwork opened), but I am sure the file opened without issue.

As i say in my post the client spotted the error and rectified the situation before a catastrophe occurred... but was enough warning not to use this method again.

• 11. Re: I have CS5 a client uses CS5.5 please help...
                              John Hawkinson Level 5

Colin: I don't suppose you have the IDML and INDD file still, and there time/patience/wherewithal to open then in CS5.5 (perhaps via the trial version) to see if opening the IDML in 5.5 demonstrates the same problem, or if a re-export from the INDD file to a new IDML file shows the same problem in CS5? I think it's worth at least some effort to make sure that bugs in this space, if any, are fixed. Or if you can share the files with me (email me), that'd be great... Thanks.