10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Exporting

SonarBuddy Level 1

Hello, whenever I try to export my movies, the exporting process takes approximately 8 hours. The video is 30 minutes long. It is made of 6 WMV files. I was finally able to export it overnight, but the file is over 1 gigabyte. I don't think that the exported product should be that large of a file, or take that long to export. I am using a Windows Vista 32-bit computer and Adobe Premiere Elements 10.

• 1. Re: Exporting
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs., to which you are Exporting?

Do you have any Effects in the Project?

What are the specs. of your computer?

All of those can play a big role in the speed to Encode for Export/Share.

Also, WMV is a very intensive format (all of its CODEC's) to Encode from. It is usually much better to not work with WMV's, if at all possible, due to the processing load imposed by the CODEC's.

Were the original files converted to WMV? If so, then it might be much better to convert to another format/CODEC, prior to Importing into PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting
            the_wine_snob Level 9

As an example of the processing load with WMV Source Material, not too long ago, I had a Project handed to me, where there were 3 - ~ 45 min. WMV's. The client claimed that they could not get the original material, prior to the conversion to WMV. In a bit of a huff, I set up the Project (DV, so it was SD, as were the WMV's), did the Trimming, and Titles. I knew better, but was a bit mad that the client would not give me the original material. I was working in PrPro on my workstation, with is still quite stout, even today. I was only Exporting to a DV-AVI, and had zero Effects - just the WMV's, and then some Titles. I started the process, and it was taking a very long time. Got a call that the client was now in a big hurry for the DVD, so I did what I should have done in the beginning - I converted the WMV's to DV-AVI's, Imported them into PrPro on my laptop, did the same Trims, and created the same Titles. I started that computer on Export, and the process finished in enough time to do the DVD authoring in Encore, and deliver the finished DVD, before the workstation finished crunching those same WMV's, even with a 45 min. head-start! That is how intensive the Encoding FROM WMV was. The workstation finished about 1 hr. after I handed the DVD to a courier.

It reinforced a lesson, that I knew all too well, and should have know better than to use, but my judgement had been clouded. WMV is just not a good format to edit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Exporting
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The biggest problem is that you're using WMV files as your source video! It's possible to do so -- but as you can see, it's a very inefficient process that takes hours to transcode.

What kind of camcorder is your original video coming from? There is likely a much more efficient workflow.

• 4. Re: Exporting
                SonarBuddy Level 1

As a matter of fact Bill, they were converted to WMVs.

• 5. Re: Exporting
                  SonarBuddy Level 1

Thx evryone. I'll rememberto try not to use WMVs in the future.

• 6. Re: Exporting
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

What was the original format/CODEC?

That might be better as a source, or perhaps convert to another format/CODEC. If the material is SD (Standard Def), then it does not get better than DV-AVI w/ PCM/WAV Audio @ 48KHz 16-bit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Exporting
                      SonarBuddy Level 1

The original format was .AVI, but as was posted in this discussion, they were actually Motion JPEGs. I then converted them to WMVs in Windows Movie Maker. As you can see in this discussion, I have been having problems with these AVIs (MJPEGs). I have reinstalled Adobe Premiere Elements 10, but it still doesn't work. I'm not sure, but if the problem was a corrupted CODEC, then it wouldn't work in Windows Movie Maker either. Right?????

• 8. Re: Exporting
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

If they were MJPEG (note: some mfgrs. tweak the MJPEG CODEC, and a few, quite a bit), then this ARTICLE might be useful. If one has the particular flavor of MJPEG CODEC on say a utility disc from the camera's mfgr., then that will be the best. Note: MJPEG has already been compressed, and if one converts to another highly-compressed format/CODEC, like WMV, the quality loss will be visible. If I had to convert, then I would go for a very lightly compressed, or lossless CODEC for that intermediate file. For SD material, it does not get any better, than DV-AVI.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Exporting
                          SonarBuddy Level 1

Thanks Bill.

• 10. Re: Exporting
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

You are most welcome.

Happy editing,

Hunt