15 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 8:05 AM by Loupy

DTB is in 'protected mode'

Loupy

I am creating DTB's for the vision impaired from an .indd filethat I have created. Suddenly, when I now try to open a new DTB created with InDesign CS 5.5 it will no  longer open because it is in 'protected mode'. How can I remove the 'protected mode'?  As far as I know, I have not changed anything. Thanks.

• 1. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does InDesign have a "protected mode?" I've never heard of anything of the sort related to InDesign. I mean, Internet Explorer has a "protected mode," and reading the WIkipedia entry on "protected mode" reminds me teaching myself assembly language in the 80386 era, but I think that you must be assuming that an OS-level error dialog is actually an InDesign error dialog.

Also, what the heck is a DTB? Do you really mean "dead tree book?" Do people really say that? I was hoping that I'd get another decade or so of thinking of myself as "young" in before I started saying "Kids these days..." and shaking my head.

Sorry, I obviously don't understand your question, but it sure was fun Googling about trying to understand it. Maybe you can post a screengrab of the exact error message? Or retype it and post it?

• 2. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
            Loupy Level 1

DTB is Digital Talking Book which is one of the options in epub creation. The screen reader is the app that gives the error message that about the epub being in protected mode.

• 3. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
              [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Are you working on Windows? Modern versions may complain about 'downloaded content' being unsafe, and you have to explicitly go to the file properties and "unblock" it to stop the constant whining.

• 4. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                Loupy Level 1

I am beginning to wonder if Adobe even spports their DTB creation process.  I have had no issues unitl recently. I do not believe it is an issue with Windows. The file is not 'download content'. It is my content that I have created in Adobe InDesign CS 5.0 and  5.5.  I have used the same screen reader that I have always used.  Now, every epub and DTB I create is is considered 'protected'.  I want to 'unprotect' them.  This appears to be something that INDD is doing.

Thanks

• 5. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'

I don't see any options for DTB in the ePub export options, nor is it mentioned in the online help, and there seem to be no special options at all for any sound in ePubs.

So what's "their DTB creation process"?

This older thread might help you along: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/819989?tstart=-1

(The OP never returned with more follow-up questions so I guess I'll have to take that as a positive sign.)

• 6. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                    Loupy Level 1

When I click on 'export' then select epub, it takes me to a dialog box and I save the file name thne it takes me to the Epub /export options dialog box. On the the tab, 'contents', I click on it then I get at the top, 'format for EPUB Content.' There aretwo options, XHTML and DTBook.  That is what I mean by DTB.

• 7. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                      Loupy Level 1

Did my explanation help?

• 8. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                        John Hawkinson Level 5

I have used the same screen reader that I have always used.  Now, every epub and DTB I create is is considered 'protected'.  I want to 'unprotect' them.  This appears to be something that INDD is doing.

I am going to bet this has to do with restricted fonts.

Can you test your document using a basic font, like Minion Pro (is that a basic font for epubs? I guess I'm not sure. Maybe Times?) and see if the problem goes away?

• 9. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                          Loupy Level 1

Great suggestion but that was not the problem. It seems that when the DTBook is exported in InDesign CS5.5 it creates an encryption.xml that screen readers detect as a protected file and won't open. Very disconcerting since this was upgrade was supposed to be the latest and greatest. 

• 10. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

There are some grep codes here that may be able to help you clean up the epubs a bit quicker:

http://epubsecrets.com/grep-cleanup-of-indesign-to-epub-files-from-ron-bilodeau.php

Bob

• 11. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                              Loupy Level 1

Thanks, Bob. That will be helpful but does not sovle the problem with the DTBooks.

• 12. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                                John Hawkinson Level 5

Great suggestion but that was not the problem.

Are you sure? My understanding is that the presence of certain fonts triggers this problem in EPUBs. Did you try my suggestion? I cannot tell from your post whether you did.

It seems that when the DTBook is exported in InDesign CS5.5 it creates an encryption.xml that screen readers detect as a protected file and won't open. Very disconcerting since this was upgrade was supposed to be the latest and greatest. 

I thought you told us that you had successfully produced DTBooks with CS5.5, and that you "had no issues until recently."

Did I misunderstand?

• 13. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'

Did you see this on Bob's page?

Update encryption.xml file so that ePub will validate:

(...steps to perform...)

• 14. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                                    Loupy Level 1

I only started experiencing problems after I upgraded to ID CS 5.5. I have been online with tech support 5 times with as it keeps getting esalated to the next higher level. This issue and the problem is not the fonts; it is in the encryption.xml file that is created when exporting to DTBooks. From my understnading wit the tech support staff, validation of the ePub has nothing to do with how it is opend by a screen reader.

• 15. Re: DTB is in 'protected mode'
                                      Loupy Level 1

I forgot to add that the encryption file created for the epub is different than the one created for the DTBook.