39 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2012 6:50 AM by the_wine_snob

burning to DVD

chantal1978

i am trying to burn my project to a DVD, it gets to 98% and then says internal error. help pls

• 1. Re: burning to DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you tell us all about your Timeline, and the details of your Assets?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: burning to DVD
            chantal1978 Level 1

ok, i am not very computer literate lol, assuming u mean how long it goes for, just over an hour. not sure what u mean about assets?

• 3. Re: burning to DVD
              Nash_John Level 3

Cancel the export, save your project and close PrE, then restart your system, again open the previous project and now try to export. See if the problem persists.

• 4. Re: burning to DVD
                nealeh Level 5

Did you add a stop marker at the very end of your timeline? If so remove it - PRE automatically recognises the end of the track as a stop marker and it frequently messes it up if you manually add-on.

Another possibility is that there might be a small gap between clips  - zoom right in to look for this. And possibly a small clip beyond the end of your clip separated from the end by a gap.

Cheers,
                --
                Neale
                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: burning to DVD
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These messages are from the Encore forum... but the concepts are the same... and it is free to read

As well as the below, right click the Encore icon and select Run as Administrator, which is NOT the same thing as running the computer with the Administrator account, and which fixes several "odd" problems... To create a dual layer DVD (or a BluRay?), you MUST have Encore set to use the Run as Administrator option

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/771202

Odd Errors http://forums.adobe.com/thread/670174

Long File Names or odd characters cause problems

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273

And #4 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558

And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641

Encore "No Drive" Error http://forums.adobe.com/thread/569230

Things and Software to AVOID when authoring/burning a DVD

Start --> http://forums.adobe.com/thread/608660

#2 has WHY Explained http://forums.adobe.com/thread/607390

Plus http://forums.adobe.com/thread/562941

Create an ISO (Encore) or folder on your hard drive (Encore or Premiere Elements) and then use the FREE http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download to write files or folders or ISO to disc (send the author a PayPal donation if you like his program)

• 6. Re: burning to DVD
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John T.,

Thanks for that set of links. Not sure how many will apply directly to PrE, BUT as it uses many of the same Sonic AuthorCore modules, as Encore, I would think that most will apply - just a guess on my part though.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

• 7. Re: burning to DVD

Well, any time someone can't write a DVD from either Encore or PElements, the 1st thing to look at is problems with the Sonic modules... especially since the Sonic <-> Adobe link does not produce very good error messages

Writing a folder and using Imgburn to write to DVD is my 1st choice... just to be sure the process works at all

• 8. Re: burning to DVD
                        chantal1978 Level 1

wow lots oh help, thank you, i will have to give this a go on the weekend now when i have more time. John i have been able to save the project to a file on the computer and burn a copy using Nero, so until i have more time that will just have to do, also i think this process is deff quicker, seems it takes for ever BUT the quality is so much better than when i used my old video program

• 9. Re: burning to DVD
                          chantal1978 Level 1

john how do i find the encore project file? this was in the odd errors solution. i am very new to this program

• 10. Re: burning to DVD
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Adobe Encore is the "big brother" to the authoring function in PrE, and is a separte program, only available with PrPro, as of PrPro CS3.

If you do not have PrPro, CS3, or later, you will not have Adobe Encore.

However, both the authoring function in PrE and Adobe Encore, are based on the licensed Sonic AuthorCore modules, so there are many similarities.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: burning to DVD

Well... it may be that Nero is part of your problem... I **think** I have read that a "default" Nero install puts software in your auto-start that "steals" the DVD drive so Encore or PrElements can't correctly find the drive

Since you are able to write a folder to your hard drive and then write that folder to DVD... just do that

• 12. Re: burning to DVD
                                chantal1978 Level 1

ok no probs john, it works that way so may just do that. i dont suppose if u know if u save the file for use make a web DVD, can i then copy it to a usb or dvd after that?

• 13. Re: burning to DVD

I don't do "web DVD" so have no idea... have you downloaded the user guide PDF so you may look in the index and search?

• 14. Re: burning to DVD
                                    methrev

I have  a similar problem in trying to burn a DVD with Adobe Premiere Elements7 . Just before the completion it says: unknown error 2131042562.

I have burned several DVDs from previous video edits without any problem. Could the  fact that I installed Nero 11 last week be causing this error?

• 15. Re: burning to DVD
                                      chantal1978 Level 1

methrev, i too have nero but am not wanting to get rid of it as i use it for other stuff, but i now just burn my dvd to a file and then use nero to burn the actual dvd, nero is quicker if u have multiples of dvds to burn.

• 16. Re: burning to DVD
                                        nealeh Level 5

The InCD component of Nero is what usually causes problems to PRE.  InCD just allows you to treat RW discs as a 'pseudo' disk drive. Over many many years of using Nero it is the component I personally find unreliable and so never even install it.

In my experience none of the other Nero components interfere with PRE.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale
                                        Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 17. Re: burning to DVD
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

And to add to what Neale said, the DLA module in Roxio does the same thing.

IIRC, each, Nero & Roxio, can now be installed with a choice of which modules one installs. I have Nero, but in a limited install, and have no issues - it is InCD, or DLA, that cause the problems. This ARTICLE goes into more detail.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: burning to DVD
                                            methrev Level 1
                                            • 19. Re: burning to DVD
                                              methrev Level 1

I hoped that by uninstalling Nero and then trying again to burn a DVD of my film I have video-edited on Adobe Premiere Elements 7, things would have worked OK. But still almost at the end of the burn process I get "unknown error 2131042562".  In previous years, everything has gone fine and the DVD has come out great. As I said in my earlier posting I had installed Nero 11 last week. In the light of what people have said: that Nero can "hook" the burner, I hoped uninstalling it might solve the problem. Sadly, it hasn't. I'm still a novice beyond the basic things with Adobe PrE, so am quite frustrated as to what I can do, after endless hours of video-editing in recent weeks. Any further help would be much appreciated.

• 20. Re: burning to DVD
                                                methrev Level 1

I hoped that by uninstalling Nero and then trying again to burn a DVD of my film I have video-edited on Adobe Premiere Elements 7, things would have worked OK. But still almost at the end of the burn process I get "unknown error 2131042562".  In previous years, everything has gone fine and the DVD has come out great. As I said in my earlier posting I had installed Nero 11 last week. In the light of what people have said: that Nero can "hook" the burner, I hoped uninstalling it might solve the problem. Sadly, it hasn't. I'm still a novice beyond the basic things with Adobe PrE, so am quite frustrated as to what I can do, after endless hours of video-editing in recent weeks. Any further help would be much appreciated.

• 21. Re: burning to DVD
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If one is getting an error near the end of a DVD build, and in two programs, the first thing that I would explore, would be the amount of defragmented free space available. The working files are quite large, and HDD space is very important.

How much defragmented, free space do you have? That would be something to rule out early.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: burning to DVD
                                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you able to burn your DVD to a folder on your hard drive?

• 23. Re: burning to DVD
                                                      methrev Level 1

For the hard drive it says:   Used Space 167.4 GB,  Free Space 51.5 GB,  Capacity 218.9 GB. Could that be a problem? 

• 24. Re: burning to DVD
                                                        methrev Level 1

Should I do that by clicking on "Personal Computer" rather than "Disc" in the "Share" menu? I have never tried anything other than "Disc" before.

• 25. Re: burning to DVD
                                                          methrev Level 1

Just to add that it gets to 96% of Burn Disc before I get "unknown error 2131042562"

• 26. Re: burning to DVD

Share/To Disc/DVD but with the preset menu set to Folder rather than a DVD size.

• 27. Re: burning to DVD
                                                              methrev Level 1

Thanks, Steve. I see the "Presets" menu offer PAL-Dolby DVD, NTSC-Dolby DVD and Widescreen, but not "Folders". However, the menu for "Burn To" offers: Disc; Folder (4.7 GB) ; Folder (8.5 GB). Did you mean the "Burn To" and not "Presets". If so, is there one of the Folder options that I should choose that is better than the other?

• 28. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, it would be the Burn To Folder.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                  methrev Level 1

Thank You. The "Burn To Folder" has now been completed successfully! Could you please advise me how I can now burn a DVD? In case it was that the caused a clash, I uninstalled my new Nero 11, so have no "burning" programme other than what is on Adobe PrE 7. Your help is much appreciated!

• 30. Re: burning to DVD

If you can burn your files to your hard drive, the program is doing its job. The problem is that Nero is inteferring with its connection to your burner.

But at least now you can use Nero to burn the VIDEO_TS that you created to a disc and you'll have a DVD! (Make sure that you choose the option to burn a playable, not a data, DVD.)

• 31. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                      methrev Level 1

Many thanks, Steve. Having uninstalled Nero 11 to see if that helped, I will reinstall it! Do you think I should let it install everything, or just partially install?

• 32. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                        pgauba Adobe Employee

Hi,

"unknown error" or "internal error" is because or bad DVD disc or bad dvd burner.

You can try this with another burner and a new disc.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

• 33. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                          pgauba Adobe Employee

Are you using this on mac?

"unknown error" or "internal error" is because or bad DVD disc or bad dvd burner.

You can try this with another burner and a new disc.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

• 34. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                            methrev Level 1

No I'm not using this on mac, Pankaj. My operating system is Windows Vista and my video-editing programme is Adobe Premiere Elements 7. Someone else has suggested that another DVD burner might solve the problem. I will look into that. Thanks

• 35. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

The first thing that I would look into would be firmware updates for your existing burner. If there IS a new firmware update for it, I would first, read the instructions for installation (very, very important), and then print those instructions out for reference. Then, download the firmware update, and follow those instructions 100% - step-by-step. Test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                                methrev Level 1

In the end I have found a solution and managed to burn DVDs of the finalised edited file. In the "Share" menu, I saved to a file. I then used ImgBurn which a friend recommended and used that programme to burn to a disk. With that I have made several copies too. There were a few coasters made along the way, and for some reason it burns more easily to a DVD-RW than a DVD+ or - R.

• 37. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that ImgBurn did the trick for you. It is a great little program, and because it interfaces with the multi-drive/burner at the hardware level, through APTI, rather than through the OS, far, far less gets in between it, and the burner.

It also offers two neat features: the ability to drop the Burn Speed down, for better burns, and also a utility to tell you who actually made your blank disc, plus the lot number.

Good luck, and happy authoring,

Hunt

• 38. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                                    methrev Level 1

Just to say that I decided to buy an external DVD writer and that seems to have done the trick! Perfect copies each time from the ISO file I made of the completed edited project on Adobe Premiere Elements 7.

Before I bought it and was persevering trying to copy via the computer burner I noticed that inserted photos into the film seemed to cause a problem each time (though it hadn't done so in past years and past projects). When I removed the photos and replaced it with an end title,there seemed to be no problem. I still think that when in December I installed Nero, that seemed to queer the pitch; even uninstalling Nero didn't seem to remove the glitch with photos in the film.

• 39. Re: burning to DVD
                                                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that things are going well.

Nero, in and of itself, is not bad. The problem comes with a couple of the modules, that will be installed with the Full Install - mostly the InCD packet-writing module. I have also seen issues with their "watcher" module, that monitors certain folders for possible burning to disc, plus their cataloging module. I have Nero (the major parts of it) installed, with zero issues, but did NOT install InCD, the watcher(s) and the cataloging utilities.

One additional thing to always consider with a multi-drive/burner is its firmware. If there are no packet-writing modules, and one is using high-quality blank media, and things are still not functioning, I recommend checking the firmware updates from the burner mfgr's. Web site. Before updating the firmware, it is VERY IMPORTANT to read the installation instructions well, and to follow them to the letter. I always print out the instructions, so that I have them handy, regardless of how many times I have updated the firmware for that burner.

Good luck,

Hunt