5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 1:39 PM by able123

“Timecode” video effect doesn't work

blue specklefish Level 1

I am trying to apply the “Timecode” video effect to a clip in Premiere CS5. I’ve used it with no problem many times before to allow me to view raw framecount along with the usual SMPTE timecode for a clip. But this time, all that shows up on the screen instead of the framecount readout is a small circle with crosshairs in it – indicating, I guess, position and nothing else.

Other video effects still work fine.

I suppose I must have some project or sequence setting that I’ve inadvertently changed, but I have no idea what it might be. It’s probably something really simple. I’ve reread the “Effects and Transitions” section of the help doc, but nothing seems to address this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

• 1. Re: “Timecode” video effect doesn't work
          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

The circle and crosshairs is what will show up if you click on a video layer to manually drag it around or resize it in the program monitor... I've not used that particular effect, so this is a total shot in the dark, but maybe under the effect settings it has particular presets for various different sizes of footage, and it's on a larger size than you're sequence (i.e., you're editing in SD and it's in HD, or you're in HD and it's in 4k) and so the numbers are there, but they're just "off screen" somewhere? Not how effects usually work, I think, but worth checking maybe?

• 2. Re: “Timecode” video effect doesn't work
            the_wine_snob Level 9

When I apply the TimeCode Effect, I do so onto a Transparent Video Clip, on a higher Video Track.That allows me to then easily use Motion>Scale and Motion>Position (Fixed Effects in all Video Clips) to Scale and Position the TimeCode.

My guess is that your Position is out of the Frame, or that the Scale is too small. I'd look at the former first, and Position within the Frame.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: “Timecode” video effect doesn't work
              blue specklefish Level 1

Thank you for your reply. What you said sounds reasonable, but I think I

found what’s wrong. I Googled “Premiere CS5 problems with Lion,” (I just

recently upgraded) and found that Adobe lists five problems Premiere CS5

has with Lion. One of them – just my luck – is that the Timecode effect no

longer displays. (For me it’s an essential tool.) Apparently there is no

fix on its way for CS5. The only fix listed is in Premiere CS5.5, in the

5.5.2 update. I called Adobe, and they confirm this.

• 4. Re: “Timecode” video effect doesn't work
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Oops!

Glad that you found that. I did not recall that issue, but them am a PC-only guy, so keeping up on Mac OS issues often gets lost in my feeble brain.

Thanks for that update. I will try to do a better job of remembering that issue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: “Timecode” video effect doesn't work
                  Level 4

bummer...

well, if youre gonna upgrade better hurry...upgrade policy is a-changin...

are by any chance related to george the clownfish in hawaii ?