12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2011 7:43 PM by Dov Isaacs

Help installing Creodistiller Assistant

Bubby Bella Level 1

I am preparing a file for print. I have creodistiller assistant which I am supposed to install in Adobe Acrobat (so that in the print version the thin lines will automatically thicken so as not to cause print problems.)

I am working on a PC with Vistas, Adobe CS4, Adobe Acrobat Pro 9. I have absolutely no idea where to install creodistiller assistant. I was told to put it in the "start up folder". Where do I find that? The path someone suggested to me c:/documents and settings/all users/documents/Adobe PDF/Startup doesn't exist on my computer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated-if you know how do to this step-by-step instructions would be very helpful since I find these type of things rather challenging.

Thank you to all who answered my posts in the past.

• 1. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I don't know anything about CreoDistiller Assistant, and I'm really dubious about anything with the name "distiller" attached, but there is a startup folder related to Acrobat in D:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe PDF\Distiller.

• 2. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

@ OP:

it's a kodak product and not really anything to do with indesign, so try the Kodak forums (they bought out the creo software).

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
              Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

I am very well-aware of the Creo Distiller Assistant.

It is a piece of PostScript code used as a prologue when creating PDF via distillation of PostScript. It has a number of “fixups” that modify the PostScript via redefinition prior to the PostScript being converted to PDF by the Distiller.

Distiller prologues are installed in the following directories:

Windows XP and earlier:

/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Distiller/Data

Windows Vista and later:

/Users/All Users/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Distiller/Data

MacOS:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Distiller/Data

The Creo Distiller Assistant dates back to the late 1990s when Creo was an independent company and when virtually all PDF was created by distillation of PostScript coming through drivers or passed through drivers by PostScript-centric applications.

The particular fixup to which you are referring is one that converts all PostScript  0 setlinewidth  commands (draw a one pixel line) to a setlinewidth command with a more reasonable, less device dependent setting, preventing imaging of lines at 1 pixel in width, which for an imagesetter, for which Creo was noted, were running up to 4800dpi. (A single pixel line is effectively unreadable at high resolutions of 2400dpi and above!)

Note that the none of the problematic PostScript, including the 0 setlinewidth problem, are issues with PostScript generated by Adobe applications. In particular, the 0 setlinewidth problem was specifically an issue with (old versions of) AutoCAD direct PostScript output.

Adobe most strongly recommends that you create PDF via direct export of PDF from InDesign and save as PDF from both Illustrator and Photoshop. Creating PDF via distillation of PostScript is strongly discouraged as an exceptionally poor workflow practice. And even if you were to create PDF via distillation of PostScript, the features of the old Creo Distiller Assistant are totally irrelevant to Adobe output. (I also believe that the Creo Distiller Assistant) prologue code is no longer available from Kodak's web site for download ... and for good reason.

- Dov

PS:  Since you are “Bubby Bella” I suspect you know what a bubbameisa is! Advice to create PDF via distillation of PostScript, with or without the archaic Creo Distiller Assistant is a bubbameisa!!!

• 4. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
                Bubby Bella Level 1

Firstly, thank you all for your responses. As those of you who may have seen and/or responded to my frequent posts probably suspect I am primarily self-taught, technically challenged ID user so the all the advice I get is a huge help.

Re: Mr. Issacs's response: I actually did create a PDF file by Exporting from ID. The printer told me that there are multiple hairline rules in the document (-in the middle of fonts, designs that don't actually have hairline rules etc.) He found them using a pre-flight checker. It is not showing up in my pre-flight panel since I didn't put in any hairline rules. It was his suggestion that I solve the problem by putting in Creo Distiller Assistant. Short of trying to switch around the whole document to remove hairline rules that don't exist as far as I am concerned, I can't think of anything else to do. I haven't yet tried the installation I will keep you posted on what happens.

• 5. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hairline rules? I’m wondering if those might not have been stitching artifacts.

What were you export settings?

Bob

• 6. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
                    Bubby Bella Level 1

I am not sure what "stitching artifacts" are but these were my compression settings:

Preset: PDF\X-1a:2001, Acrobat 8, jpeg.

Besides the above and putting in marks and bleeds, cropmarks etc. I kept all the default settings.

• 7. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
                      Bubby Bella Level 1

I am not sure what "stitching artifacts" are but these were my compression settings:

Preset: PDF\X-1a:2001, Acrobat 8, jpeg.

Besides the above and putting in marks and bleeds, cropmarks etc. I kept all the default settings.

• 8. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant

Unless you specifically put in lines or outlines of polygons for anything less than 0.5 pt, I seriously doubt that anything InDesign is exporting is producing hairlines.

I would tend to agree with Bob Levine that any thin lines that are being found are the result of flattening live transparency that may be in your original InDesign document (or in content that you place into such a document). Such thin lines would also appear in PostScript generated for the Distiller if that is the case.

If you were exporting PDF with settings that didn't flatten the transparency, such as the PDF/X-4 or High Quality Print settings, the preflighted PDF wouldn't show such hairlines. Preflighting should not really be done on pre-flattened PDF because some of what will be found will in fact violate rules that might make sense on a non-flattened PDF file.

If you were willing to send a sample of such a PDF file to me (my e-mail address is found by hovering your cursor over my picture next to this posting) generated with and without pre-flattening, I could validate what may be going on for you.

- Dov

• 9. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Stitching is the border of any region that has been flattened. By exporting to PDF X/1-a (which is about as dumbed down a format as you can get) you have flattened all transparency in your PDF.

Is the printer insisting on this? If so, I would back him into a corner and ask why.

PDF X4, as Dov points out, should be accepted by any modern printer.

Bob

• 10. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
                            Bubby Bella Level 1

I used that setting on the advice of a graphics artist I know - appearently it was bad advice. Thank you very much Mr. Issacs for your offer-it is extremely nice of you. I will try first to send the file to the printer using better export settings and see what happens.

• 11. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant
                              Bubby Bella Level 1

The problem was not just my export settings. I sent a new file to the printer set on "High-Quality Print". The printer says it still has hairline rules. I would like to take you up on your offer but your email address is listed as "private"

• 12. Re: Help installing Creodistiller Assistant

Bubby Bella,

I will contact you directly via e-mail with my contact information so that you can e-mail the files to me directly.

- Dov