4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2011 2:41 AM by Peter Spier

Problem with black text in InDesign CS5

Natalia_z

Hi,

I just got an information from my printer that there is a probem with some text in a PDF files which I've sent to them: they appear in 4 colors. I've exported the file with rich blacsk, for printing (best quality print). Any idea why this might have happened?

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Problem with black text in InDesign CS5
          Stix Hart Level 5

Rich black is 4 colour black.  Use the default black swatch instead which is 100% Black and none of the other CMY channels.

• 2. Re: Problem with black text in InDesign CS5
            Colin Flashman Adobe Community Professional

need more information about the file and how the PDF was made.

is the text that the printer is concerned with:

* text composed in the indesign file; or

* text within an advertisement or graphic made by yourself or a third party?

prior to making the PDF, did the OP check the separations using the separations panel and see four colour blacks, or did the black appear fine?

how was the PDF made? using a default setting (listed in square brackets within the PDF options) or a customised setting made by the OP? what happens when using a different setting, such as [PDFX3 2002] ?

the only way that i can get [black] text from indesign to fault like the OP says is to export the PDF using the [Smallest File Size] setting which would turn the entire job RGB... and create other prepress headaches which the printer would complain about first.

however, if the type was DELIBERATELY made rich black in indesign (e.g. process colours in addition to black to make the black) then i can see why the printer would complain. IMHO I will use rich blacks in solid fills which appear over pictures so that the pictures beneath do not show through and to show a "richer than normal" black... but I WOULD NOT use it on black type under 60pt in size, moreso if the type is thin. Doing so makes it harder to register the colours on-press and isn't normally necessary on body type.

see if this link helps: http://wp.me/p1x3Yg-W

• 3. Re: Problem with black text in InDesign CS5
              Natalia_z Level 1

Thanks for the feedback.

I already got the thing sorted out - it seems that the PDF export setting set to [Smallest File Size] was the causing the problem ;-)

Thank You again.

• 4. Re: Problem with black text in InDesign CS5
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

cdflash wrote:

the only way that i can get [black] text from indesign to fault like the OP says is to export the PDF using the [Smallest File Size] setting which would turn the entire job RGB... and create other prepress headaches which the printer would complain about first.

The other common way to get four-color black is to do a CMYK-to-CMYK conversion (by specifying a CMYK profile for the destination that is different from the woking space) on export and NOT preserve numbers.