29 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2011 7:29 PM by Stan Jones

Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television

mintaka918

I am having trouble exporting my video in Premiere Pro CS5 for cable television.

The video is :30 and the issue is that after following the directions given to me by the TV folks, they are telling me the video is not high resolution.  This should not be possible!  The video is made from a series of images that are 300 dpi, so it isn't my photo files...  Something has to be wrong with my export settings that is making it low resolution, but if I don't fix it, they will have to recreate the commercial and charge me for their time... not fun, and VERY pricey.

Here is what I have been doing to export:

FILE > EXPORT > Media...

When the dialogue box opens, here are my settings:

FORMAT: QuickTime

PRESET: Custom

VIDEO CODEC: H.264

I did not change any other automatic settings.

Then I EXPORT the video.  Once the video was completed, I put the file on a DVD (not the video, but the actual .MOV file) for the station.

What on earth am I doing wrong?!

• 1. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What pixel size is your export?

If 720x480 you are exporting SD and not HD

The PPro FAQ List http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/faq_list has an exporting article

• 2. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
            mintaka918 Level 1

I already looked in the FAQ list and didn't find anything that was particularly helpful.

I am exporting it at 720x480, but those were the settings that the cable company told me to use because it is not for an HD channel, so they said SD settings are required.   If it helps, the summary box reads:

OUTPUT:

720x480, 29.97 [fps] Lower, Quality 100

48000Hz, Sterio, 16 bit

H.264

Any other ideas...?

For my job, I have usually exported to DVDs, so exporting for television is a very new scene.

• 3. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television

As far as I know, SD is "something like" 72dpi which means your original picture at 300dpi is GREATLY reduced

• 4. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The problem I have with the station's complaint is that it doesn't make sense.  They tell you to export at 720 x 480.  You do, and then they say the resolution isn't sufficient.  But you gave them exactly what they asked for.

If it were me, I'd probably ask them to clarify.

• 5. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                  mintaka918 Level 1

Yes, SD is 72 dpi.  Still, as a photo editor, I am not understanding how 300 dpi could LOSE quality by being reduced to 72 dpi.  That only seems logical when you are taking something that is 72 dpi and going up to something like 300. 

• 6. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

DPI is relevant to still images, but largely irrelevant for video.  Best not to think in those terms here.

720 x 480 is the resolution of the export.  That's what the station asked for.  So how can the resolution be insufficient?

• 7. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                      mintaka918 Level 1

Jim: I just talked to the creative guy at the station... he confirms (again!) that 720x480 is what they are looking for.

He suggested taking my JPGS (which are really photo illustrations complied in PS  and then saved as .JPGS) and replacing them with .PSD files that I have.  Will this work?  It doesn't make sense to me, since the JPGS are equal to the resolution that a .PSD document would be if they are saved at the same .dpi.  Does premiere pro really handle PSDs better than JPGS? 

I know you said not to think in terms of .dpi... hahah! Sorry!  Do you think this will work?

• 8. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

You can try it, but unless the JPEGs were overcompressed, I doubt you'll see a big difference.

Honestly, I wonder if the station guy realizes that you will just not be able to get the same quality from a video file as you see in the original images.  At 1080p, maybe you'll get closer, but not at 480i.  It just isn't possible.

• 9. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                          mintaka918 Level 1

I sort of wondered the same thing...

I imported the an original PSD, merged layers and pasted attributes... no difference.

He told me just now when we talked that we wither have to give the "blurriness" the okay go for running full screen on an SD channel OR they will have to recreate the commercial at the quality required. What if I export it at HD settings for him?  Will that work/satisfy him?  If not, can I give the "okay go" to this commecial when he is advising me that it is not high enough quality?!

It was my understanding that HD does NOT translate to SD... but I don't know enough about it.

• 10. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television

>understanding that HD does NOT translate to SD

This is for CS4, but the ideas may help http://bellunevideo.com/tutorials/CS4_HD2SD/CS4_HD2SD.html

Also, with CS5, I film in AVCHD and export to SD to create a DVD with Envore... and my quality is great http://forums.adobe.com/thread/652694

• 11. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                              mintaka918 Level 1

Problem is that they won't accept a DVD video. They just want a .MOV file. 

I have never had a quality issue exporting a DVD from encore.

• 12. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

He told me just now when we talked that we wither have to give the "blurriness" the okay go for running full screen on an SD channel

What blurriness? If your export is blurry, then you have problems other than HD to SD.

I'm going to assume, since you talk about jpgs etc, that the blurriness is in text or the like. It may be too small in the HD version, so when it goes to SD it cannot be read? I see nothing above where you talk about datarate.

• 13. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                  Powered by Design Level 4

Does your video have to be interlaced or can it be progressive ?

Show screen grabs if you can.

Glenn

• 14. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                    Level 4

try these settings...export....test in quicktime player...if OK send off to the ol TV station

mov export copy.jpg

can shrink wab down to portion of video so you dont waste time...export small portion...see if it works... if it does, expand wab to whole project and export and youre done

• 15. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                      mintaka918 Level 1

Stan: No, the blurriness is the image, not the text.  I am normally a designer for print, so my image is 300 dpi in the original document. 

Glenn: I don't know what those terms mean.  I have pretty basic video editing skills, which is probably why I'm having these issues to begin with! 

Able123: I am working on a PC (believe me, I wish I weren't).  The "Apple Animation" setting is not available to me.

Could it be a problem with my original document settings?

• 16. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                        Level 4

I am working on pc too.. i have quicktime pro installed so maybe I got that codec with the pro version...

yes, your project settings should ideally match what you put in and what you want out to some extent

ps.. i think i paid like $29 for qt pro ?? forget...isnt much..and can DL online right away etc.

if working with mov files on pc is nice to have

at any rate ..you can try some other codec that you DO have ( other than h264, and not interlaced...use settings shown with motion jpg or some other codec that you have )

shrink wab, export sample, check ....etc

• 17. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television

Stan: No, the blurriness is the image, not the text.  I am normally a designer for print, so my image is 300 dpi in the original document.

You have told us nothing about datarate. A very high quality image, output at your original or downsized pixels, will look terrible if the datarate is low.

Also, Jim commented on dpi earlier. You are confusing yourself when you think that because your originals are 300dpi that that cannot be the problem. Normally that is true, but only because the total pixels are likely to be very large. For example, a 3x4 inch photo scanned at 300 will be 900x1200 pixels. If you change it to 72dpi and allow it to resample pixels, it will now be , 216x288.

Here, in working with video, report only what the pixel size is. What is the pixel size of your original?

1 person found this helpful
                                          • 18. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                            mintaka918 Level 1

Ahha! That helps me understand a little better.  Fail sauce for print designers trying to do videoediting!  That analogy makes a lot of sense to me.

Here is my size:

Pixel Dimensions: 69.6 M

Width: 4933 pixels

Height: 4933 pixels

This is a large image and then the "camera" zooms in on each of the photos laid out on this background.  Does that make sense at all?

How would i know what the data rate is?  How do I set it differently?

Thanks everyone so much for their help so far!

• 19. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television

Plenty of pixels, depending on how far you zoom in. How are you zooming? In Premiere?

The datarate is in the export setting.

Edit: In the H.264 export, under the Video tab, scroll down untiil you see "Bitrate Settings." What did you use?

Edit 2: Forgot to mention that the use of the phrase "not high resolution" in the original post got us all focused on the export "resolution" (which in video we think pixel size). The TV person was apparently addressing "quality."

1 person found this helpful
                                              • 20. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                                Level 4

so much for solving this problem quickly re: deadline for getting it out the door and not having someone else re-do the job etc....

there are hardware ( pipeline specific ) considerations at the broadcast office ( cable place ).. that take care of putting stuff INTO that hardware and getting OUT to the cable.

That hardware does what it does ...and taking h264 stuff into it from the get go is NOT the ideal thing to do.

h264 is for viewing ..finished product... done.... not ideal for giving to a broadcaster.. after all.. do you know what the hardware is and how it is handled by the broadcaster ?

getting into dpi for still images as opposed to ignoring it at this point requires the whole project gets re-scaled ( images converted so they are the SAME dimensions pixel wise ) but are now 72dpi instead of 300dpi ( which the poster knows is good for printing , but has no clue about re: video monitors )

we dont even know what his project settings are !

My suggestion ( since its a mov file they want at broadcast ) to use the settings suggested might have rendered a nice product ...but I have no idea if its even been TRIED yet.  It doesnt ( since its still images ) have to be interlaced as the poster tried before. It could be that going from an HD project setting to SD export every little thing ( including data rate ( eg. quality = 85 on setting above ) could help make a decent thing to get done now before time is up.

When time is up.. then I can see a whole rigamorole about learning whats going on etc...but that sorta blows this project out of the water re: getting it done now so he doesnt get screwed on doing this on spec or whatever the arrangement was.

I guess the next thing to do for me is just to repeat all the "questions" posted so far... ( does it have to be interlaced - power by design ) ( can you put psd files into timeline instead of compressed jpg ? ) ( what is your datarate ? )  sheesh...

good luck and welcome to the new world of video

• 21. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                                  Level 4

note: re: cable broadcast

To sorta put things in perspective a little more re quality and cable station "broadcast"... I have to say that in some places this issue of quality is not a very demanding criteria.  There are a lot of " public" broadcast cable stations that dont really know much about what they are actually doing " technically".. but just have the hardware to put stuff on the stations they control.

Often, that is a matter of some State govt. agreement with commercial cable providers.. " eg. ..we give you contract to operate cable in our state and you give US " X " number of public stations.  Then the state and foundations ( NGO) set up local broadcaster " offices" to handle " X " number of public stations in each city.

These people involved in this kind of enterprise ( and the quality of products delivered to them from local church groups, sportsmen's clubs etc etc ) for 'broadcast' are not top of the line technicians and movie makers.

so maybe this whole issue is moot at this point... whether blurry stuff matters.

it wouldnt be the first blurry stuff seen on cable tv.

• 22. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                                    mintaka918 Level 1

Stan: I am zooming in by setting the keyframes for scale/position/rotaion (scale obviously being the relevant one here).  And yes, it is all done in Premiere Pro CS5.  I am zooming in so that about one sixth of the image is on the screen.  Does that make sense?  Also, I am not sure how to find your "Bitrate settings."  I have H.264 selected under the video tab for "Video Codec," but that is the only option under the video tab.  Beyond that, there are just checkboxes that say "use maximum render quality," "use previews," and "use frame blending," none of which I selected.  I poked around in the settings and even googled the bitrate settings for CS5.

Able123: It has crossed my mind that the cable company may be making an issue out of something that isn't.  I work at a non-profit  (probably why they are asking me as an amateur to do this instead of sending it out), so we'd rather post the commercial late and figure this out instead of paying to get it made.  I do not understand the terms interlaced/power by design.  Yes, I did try pasting attributes of the jpg for the psd doc in the timeline... no difference.

• 23. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television

Also, I am not sure how to find your "Bitrate settings."  I have H.264 selected under the video tab for "Video Codec," but that is the only option under the video tab.  Beyond that, there are just checkboxes that say "use maximum render quality," "use previews," and "use frame blending," none of which I selected.

Sorry; you are exporting as Quicktime, then H264 as codec. And you reported above that you were using 100 quality, which is the best you can do. To get the concept (but you can't use this since the TV is asking you for .mov), select H.264 as the Format (rather than quicktime), then look at the bitrate options under the video tab.

Stan: I am zooming in by setting the keyframes for scale/position/rotaion (scale obviously being the relevant one here).  And yes, it is all done in Premiere Pro CS5.  I am zooming in so that about one sixth of the image is on the screen.

You are probably okay. What does your export look like when you play it? Is it blurry?

• 24. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                                        mintaka918 Level 1

For some reason, I can't play it on my computer.  It opens but will only play the first few seconds before my computer freezes the video.  The cable guy said it was probably my system (he came over and LOOKED at my settings with me!), but I thought it was odd.  He says it is blurry when they view it over at the station. 

As to the Quicktime deal... he told me to set it for quicktime, but maybe trying the format as H.264 was what he wanted because that is what the setting was for the video codec...?  Still, when I select h.264 as the format, "bitrate settings" doesn't come up.  FPS comes up and so does field order and pixel aspect ratio.  Is it worth it to try to export at these settings and see what he says?

• 25. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                                          Level 4

thats cool.. that you have time to figure this out and get it done OK ( good quality ). Im gonna bow out so you dont get all kinds of conflicting or tangential info etc.. Stan knows what he's doing...so hopefully he can follow through with you on this step by step as needed.

just so you know... ( and believe me, this stuff is not that easy to figure out very fast so dont feel weird about not knowing stuff )... the mov file ( quicktime extension ) is sorta like a "wrapper" that can have many different video " codecs " ( COmpression DECompression) inside that mov file.  h264 is a codec in the sense that it is only one of many possible codecs that can be inside the mov file.  If you use h264 as the "file type" instead of quicktime ( mov ) you will end up with an mp4 file extension ( not what the tv guy wants ).

OK.. good luck...

• 26. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                                            [r]Evolution Level 1

As you are a 'Designer for Print' I would quickly say Out-Source to a qualified editor/company.

Everything mentioned in this discussion is something that should be elementary for someone in a position to deliver video for broadcast. -CoDecs, Frame Sizes, Data Rates, etc

Without the proper training, knowledge, etc you are merely creating more problems for all involved. I can only imagine it would have been cheaper to have had someone from Craigslist come in for a few hours to export (and teach you) -vs- paying you (how many days?) wages to try and figure this out. You could have even FedEx'd a Hard Drive to someone here for an export/explanation.

I think it's the mistake of whoever put you in charge of this project same as it would not be cost effective for your company to hire a video guy to create a Tri-Fold Brochure and expect them to get it right when you talk about Trim, Bleed, CMYK, Embedded Fonts, dpi, UV/Matte Coating, Paper Stock, etc. Unless they had the money to burn in waiting for days on him to figure it out. In that case, give me a call.

I'm cool with newbies but man do these forums give people a false sense of "Anyone can do it."

It also devalues our knowledge & services.

I take such a strong stance on 'Hire Qualified' because I've worked with editors that made as much money as me but knew nothing. I've missed air times/dates because of unknowledgable so-called editors. I've fired so-called editors for delivering 'wrong'.

- Yet, I do applaud you for using your known avenues of getting the problem solved.

Besides, you should be making a pretty penny for your Print Knowledge. If you double up also become the Video Guy, you're screwing yourself. You're doing 2 Full Time Positions for the price of 1.

• 27. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television
                                                              Darren Kelly Level 1

If you decide to output as a quicktime, you will have the animation setting available. You can also output an uncompressed AVI, which is essentially the same thing.

Make sure you have told the encoder to render at maximum quality. It needs to be set at 2 different points.

Hope this helps

DBK

• 28. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television

As you are a 'Designer for Print' I would quickly say Out-Source to a qualified editor/company.

Certainly good advice, but the poster is working for a non-profit, and they do not appear able to afford it.

• 29. Re: Exporting a :30 video for Cable Television

For some reason, I can't play it on my computer.

You can't play what? You don't need to go back to answer this, but when you are reporting results, make sure we know which version/settings you are trying.

As to the Quicktime deal... he told me to set it for quicktime, but maybe trying the format as H.264 was what he wanted because that is what the setting was for the video codec...?  Still, when I select h.264 as the format, "bitrate settings" doesn't come up.  FPS comes up and so does field order and pixel aspect ratio.  Is it worth it to try to export at these settings and see what he says?

See post 18 where I correct my error confusing export as H.264 vs Quicktime H.264.

Yes, try that export, then see if you can play it on your computer. What player is tring to play it? Quicktime player? If not, open quicktime player and see if it will handle it.

Some of the recommendations are for uncompressed exports. It is unlikely they will use these to play on the air - but they may want such a file if they are going to convert it to a playable format.

As to the Quicktime deal... he told me to set it for quicktime, but maybe trying the format as H.264 was what he wanted because that is what the setting was for the video codec...?

Ask him if you are not clear. What I assumed since he was clearly saying Quicktime, is Quicktime format using the H.264 codec. NOT exporting using the H.264 format in the Premiere/AME export.