9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 6:08 PM by DebateBow

iPhone 4S video

DebateBow

I am having trouble importing iPhone 4S video into premiere elements 10.  Each time I follow what would seem to be the appropriate method, I receive the following:

"The importer reported a generic error."

Ideas on what can I do to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: iPhone 4S video
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the CODEC of that file, and what setting did you use for your project?

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

What CODEC is INSIDE that file? http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below

For PC http://www.headbands.com/gspot/ or http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

For Mac http://mediainfo.massanti.com/

http://blogs.adobe.com/premiereprotraining/2011/02/red-yellow-and-green-render-bars.html

Once you know exactly what it is you are editing, report back with that information... and your project setting, and if there is a red line above the video in the timeline, which indicates a mismatch between video and project

• 2. Re: iPhone 4S video
            the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the specs. of the iPhone 4S video footage?

Do you have the latest version of Apple's QuickTime installed?

Which methods have you used to Import the files?

Wife has 4S, but she's out of town, with the iPhone, so I cannot test right now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: iPhone 4S video
              DebateBow Level 1

Here's some more information about one particular video clip:

Per GSPOT Analysis:

Contianer:

qt:  Apple Quick Time (.MOV/QT)

File Type:  QuickTime (.MOV)

Mime Type:   video/quicktime

Recommended Display Size: 480 x 272

Audio

Codec - mp4a: MPEG-4 AAC LC

Info 44100Hz 64 kb/s, mono (1/0)

Video

Codec avc1

Name H.264

Codec status undetermined

Settings for the project were the flip camera - HD 29.97 - found a tutorial online about Elements 9 and an iphone 4, and tried the same settings - but it wouldn't work. 

Latest version of quicktime is installed.  Will play the video on the computer - just won't import into the program. 

• 4. Re: iPhone 4S video
                bberglindsr Level 1

Here's the information I get from my iphone 4s video:

General / Container Stream #1

Total Video Streams for this File.................1

Total Audio Streams for this File.................1

Video Codecs Used.................................AVC

Audio Codecs Used.................................AAC LC

File Format.......................................MPEG-4

Play Time.........................................49mn 11s

Total File Size...................................8.21 GiB

Total Stream BitRate..............................23.9 Mbps

Encoded with......................................5.0.1

Encoding Library..................................Apple QuickTime

Video Stream #1

Codec (Human Name)................................AVC

Codec (FourCC)....................................avc1

Codec Profile.....................................Baseline@L4.1

Frame Width.......................................1 920 pixels

Frame Height......................................1 080 pixels

Frame Rate........................................29.970 fps

Total Frames......................................88453

Display Aspect Ratio..............................16:9

Scan Type.........................................Progressive

Color Space.......................................YUV

Codec Settings (Summary)..........................1 Ref Frames

QF (like Gordian Knot)............................0.383

Codec Settings (CABAC)............................No

Codec Settings (Reference Frames).................1

Video Stream Length...............................49mn 11s 385ms

Video Stream BitRate..............................23.8 Mbps

Video Stream BitRate Mode.........................VBR

Bit Depth.........................................8 bits

Video Stream Size.................................8.18 GiB (100%)

Video Stream Title................................Core Media Video

Date of Original Encoding.........................UTC 2011-12-04 13:44:35

Color Primaries...................................BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177

Transfer Characteristics..........................BT.709-5, BT.1361

Matrix Coefficients...............................BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio Stream #1

Codec.............................................AAC

Codec (FourCC)....................................40

Audio Stream Length...............................49mn 11s 442ms

Audio Stream BitRate..............................64.0 Kbps

Audio Stream BitRate Mode.........................CBR

Number of Audio Channels..........................1

Audio Channel's Positions.........................Front: C

Sampling Rate.....................................44.1 KHz

Audio Stream Size.................................22.1 MiB (0%)

Audio Stream Title................................Core Media Audio

Date of Original Encoding.........................UTC 2011-12-04 13:44:35

I am able to import the file, but it goes severely out of sync (audio to video) after about 10 minutes

• 5. Re: iPhone 4S video
                  Nash_John Level 3

Hey DebateBow

what method have you tried for importing the clips into PrE. Try some other methods, as there exists many. (From File->Get Media, double clicking on the grid of the Media Panel, first copying to hard disk and then importing, drag-drop import), doesany one of them work, and check if you can import your Media into the Elements Organizer.

For bberglindsr

Have you gone back and checked the original video, if that also had sync problems as i have faced this issue once.

• 6. Re: iPhone 4S video
                    bberglindsr Level 1

Nash_John

I am actually using CS5 Premiere.  When I play a video from the iPhone 4s using QT, perfect sync.  When I input the file into Premiere, gradual unsync to significant after 10 minutes.  I am willing to bet all have this problem. 

Anyone else tried to edit an iPhone 4s video in premiere?

• 7. Re: iPhone 4S video
                      John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are in the wrong forum... you need the one for CS5 Premiere Pro... start a new discussion there

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premierepro_current

• 8. Re: iPhone 4S video
                        DebateBow Level 1

I have tried multiple methods of importing - and none of them seem to work for original video shot on the iphone 4S or the iphone 4.

I have been successful in importing video that was put through iMovie on the iPhone, but not raw video shot on the phone.

• 9. Re: iPhone 4S video
                          DebateBow Level 1

Seems like the best answers is to either:

1) import the video clips into iMovie on the iPhone and then export the movie.  That movie can easily be imported into Premiere Elements 10.

or

2) Put the raw video onto the computer, and import it into Windows Movie Maker - from here, you can export it to a format that will also be recognized by Premiere Elements 10.

That's the best solution I have found.

AGB