9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2017 3:36 AM by Mike_Abbott

Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work

swvogt

I've included a diagram to help explain this question. The situation is essentially this:

1. I created a complex animation with about 100 layers, all with fairly complex keyframing

2. I added 20 audio voiceover clips.

3. The client wants to edit some of the audio clips to remove certain sentences from the voiceover.

4. After shortening the duration of some of the clips I need to close the gaps they leave after trimming.

5. All of the animation keyframes that take place after the shorted audio clips need to be moved backwards, but doing so will disrupt all the animation that takes place before the audio clip plays unless I drag each group of keyframes manually by hand (rather than selecting the entire layer and moving it back)

Simple duration edits like this must be highly common. How can I close up the gap without manually dragging all the keyframes backwards in the timeline?

Thanks for any help!

diagram.jpg

• 1. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Simply drag your existing composition into the new composition icon . Now split your layer at the point where you want to make the first cut. Readjust the end point of the top copy and slide it over.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
            swvogt Level 1

Great - this looks like it will work! Thank you!

• 3. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
              swvogt Level 1

So upon reflection, this solution didn't work quite as well as I thought for my specific situation- perhaps I misunderstood, but I've attached another image to help explain the confusion. If anyone has time to take another look I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

example.jpg

• 4. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first solution I gave you is a way to cut audio and video. Its the same as rendering your movie, then cutting out a portion in the middle with a NLE.

It sounds like you want to keep all of the animation but shorten it so that it will now fit the shorter audio track. In other words, the sync between video and audio isn't critical. You still want all the animation, it just needs to be shorter.

If that is the case then you want to select all of the animated tracks and pre-compose them. Then you want to split the audio track, delete the unwanted portion, close the gap in the audio, then enable time remapping in the pre-comp. You'll see two keyframes in the pre-comp. Grab the one on the end and drag it to line up with the end of the audio track. Set the work area to the same point.

Do that and all of your animation is still in the project, the movie is shorter and the unwanted audio has been removed.

• 5. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
                  Joseph Pole

This may be too late but here is the solution i think you're looking for.

• Select the last (lowest) layer on the timeline then...
                  • Hold down shift and select the first layer on the timeline - now all layers should be selected
                  • (It's important to select in this order as Ctrl + A will give a different result)
                  • goto the 'Animation' menu
                  • Select 'Keyframe Assistant'
                  • Select 'Sequence Layers'
                  • Make sure 'Overlap' is NOT checked
                  • Hit 'OK'
                  • 6. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
                    FStone77

This is super late, but hopefully it will help someone out

• In the timeline panel set the work area to include the portion you wish to remove. This can be done by sliding the blue ends of the Work Area Bar as appropriate, or using the time indicator to find the beginning of the section you wish to remove and pressing "B", then mark the end of the section with the time indicator and press "N" B and N are shortkeys for positioning the Work Area Bar.
                    • Select the layers from which you wish to remove a section. NOTE: Locked layers will be unaffected. If no layers are selected, the action will remove the section from all unlocked layers.
                    • To remove the selection and close the gap: Edit > Extract Work Area
                    • To remove the selection and leave the gap open: Edit > Lift Work Area
                    • 7. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
                      Mike_Abbott Adobe Community Professional

Maybe the real solution is:

1. Manager: Can we can chop 5 secs out of the middle?

2. Of course. You signed off the VO some time ago - so the change it will cost you $1,000.

3. Sign here.

PS: This is the only forum I know of where 6 year old threads continue to live... : )  I have a feeling that Kevin is going to drop in at any moment - ask if the problem has been resolved, and the OP will pop up and say that they're still looking...

• 8. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
                        FStone77 Level 1

That's the power of a well-organized forum. I had the problem and found my way here looking for a solution (none posted worked for me). So I found the quick fix and figured why not save someone else some time? I can't be the only one struggling with this issue. Plus OP worked so hard on the sweet graphics, the post deserves a solution. Hey, better late than never, amirite?!

• 9. Re: Close a Timeline Gap Without Hours of Extra Work
                          Mike_Abbott Adobe Community Professional

Absolutely   - and I have to agree about the graphics. The OP's probably made Senior Art Director by now