5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 5:53 AM by TypeLice

Comparing Content: MSW to InDesign

TypeLice

Is there a way to compare content between a MicroSoft Word document and an InDesign document?

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Comparing Content: MSW to InDesign
          TypeLice Level 1

Sorry -- I should clarify -- I have a client looking for a way to compare content in an MicroSoft Word doc with that same content flowed into an Indesign doc.

• 2. Re: Comparing Content: MSW to InDesign
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Compare them in what way?

Bob

• 3. Re: Comparing Content: MSW to InDesign
              Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm guessing that they just want to do a word-for-word comparison. ("Did the designer miss anything when moving content from Word to ID?" or "Did the formatter mess up the translation provided in Word when placing in ID?") Depending on how the ID file is built, this can be easy or difficult. How hard would it be to thread all of the stories to be in the same order as the text appears in the Word file? If it's easy, just do that and export an RTF to use Compare and Merge Documents in Word.

If that's not easy, then there are a whole bunch of ways to do this manually, but no one-click tool that will do the work for you. None of which I'm aware, anyways, and if such an app existed it'd be on every workstation in our translation department.

• 4. Re: Comparing Content: MSW to InDesign
                peter minneapolis Level 4

TypeLice wrote:

Is there a way to compare content between a MicroSoft Word document and an InDesign document?

Any help would be appreciated.

Converting both documents to a common format might serve. Compare PDFs or RTFs, for example. There are free and commercial applications that create concordances - every word in a document, the number of occurrences, and what page they're on. Although some folks think this is a good way to make an index, it's rarely useful as an index to readers, but it's statistical reports might be useful..

are scripts that can collect and export all stories in an InDesign document.

Search Google for terms like "InDesign export PDF," "InDesign export RTF," "InDesign export stories," "compare PDF," and "compare rtf," without quotes for details.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

• 5. Re: Comparing Content: MSW to InDesign
                  TypeLice Level 1

Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.

Vic