9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2011 10:16 AM by Mauri31

InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5

Mauri31

I have a lot of files in CS4 that I am attempting to open in CS5. However, it looks like a few files are getting corrupted when going from CS4 to CS5. In fact, there is a paragraph style that not being applied correctly when it comes up in CS5. When I try to highlight the affected text and change the style, InDesign crashes—every time. The same thing happens when I try to open the files in CS5.5. When I open the same file in CS4, it's fine. I tried saving the file as an .idml file in CS4 and opening in CS5, and it still doesn't work. It is happening in similar text and the similar spots in many of the files in the book I'm working with.

Any ideas? Help? This is potentially a big problem since we will soon be upgrading all of our computers from CS4 to CS5 (I'm currently one of just a handful who has CS5 and 5.5), and all of our files are currently CS4 files. I'm hoping this won't happen to all of our files when we try to convert them to CS5.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Generic forums wisdom advises you to leave the files in CS4. Likewise, installing CS5 on these machines doesn't necessarily mean that you should pull CS4 off. In fact, for future updates, you really really really should keep CS4 around for your old CS4 files.

The fact that you've already tried round-tripping through IDML is a bad sign. Is there anything you can do (e.g. delete & recreate style) to fix the broken parastyle? I'm not suggesting that you do so for your entire archive, just tossing out ideas for potential troubleshooting.

Oh, wait, I misread: have you tried CS4 -> IDML -> back to CS4 -> CS5?

• 2. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Joel Cherney wrote:

have you tried CS4 -> IDML -> back to CS4 -> CS5?

or CS4 > idml > CS5

• 3. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5
              Mauri31 Level 1

Thanks for your suggestions, Joel and Peter. I have tried the the CS4 > idml > CS5 route without success and just tried the

CS4 -> IDML -> back to CS4 -> CS5 route also without success. Luckily, I still have CS4 on my machine. It's good to know this about this issue. My main reason for wanting to convert the files to CS5 is because we are now moving toward offering all of our file in .epub format. I would like to use our existing CSS file (that we use for html) for the epubs. However, you can't export books using an external CSS on epubs until CS5—as far a I can tell.

Do you have any suggestions for a workaround?

Thanks again!

• 4. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5

OK, it sounds like it might be font (or font manager) related.  What's the OS? If it's Mac, you should have easy access to a crash report, which you can post on Pastebin.com (not here) then post a link to that here.

• 5. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5
                  Mauri31 Level 1

Thanks for suggesting Paste Bin. This is the report that came up when I duplicated the crash this morning: http://pastebin.com/Asnkqpaa. I'm working on a Mac. The OS is 10.6.8. I've also experienced the crash on a MacBook Pro (OS 10.5.8).

• 6. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5

John is our real expert at reading crash reports (it looks like some sort of parsing error to me, but I don't really know), so if he doesn't pop in on his own in the next 12 hours or so, post back and I'll ping him.

• 7. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Sorry for the delay, I've been overcommitted this week.

This crash is...not really very easy conclude much about. It's crashing in com.adobe.InDesign.Text, presumably during the application of the paragraph style.

Conclusion: something is wrong with the paragraph style.

If you have the same problematic style in common between multiple files, that's probably why you have the same problem across them.

What to do?

Well, exporting to IDML doesn't remove the corruption, but there is a flipside to the coin -- it means the corruption is present in the IDML. So you should be able to inspect the IDML and find the corruption, and probably repair it. After all, paragraph styles really are not too complicated.

It'll look something like this, for a really trivial paragraph style (PS1), that just sets a point size (14pt), it's something like this:

<ParagraphStyle
                       Self="ParagraphStyle/PS1"
                       Name="PS1"
                       Imported="false"
                       NextStyle="ParagraphStyle/PS1"
                       KeyboardShortcut="0 0"
                       PointSize="14"
                       OTFContextualAlternate="false"
                      >
                            <Properties>
                              <BasedOn type="string">$ID/[No paragraph style]</BasedOn>
                              <PreviewColor type="enumeration">Nothing</PreviewColor>
                            </Properties>
                      </ParagraphStyle>

You'll have to unzip your IDML file (rename it to .ZIP if you have trouble) in order to find this stuff.

Or, I guess, it might just be easier to export a snippet containing the affected style, and then look at the snippet.

(Err, I guess you can't really repair it that way...).

Do you know which paragraph style is at issue?

• 8. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5
                        Mauri31 Level 1

Thanks for that help! Yes, I know exactly what paragraph style is having the issue. Let me take a look and get back to you (since, as so often happens, some higher priority things have come up, so this is on the back burner until next week).

• 9. Re: InDesign CS4 files not working in CS5
                          Mauri31 Level 1

I’m back. When I said it would be next week, I apparently meant two weeks. At any rate, here’s the situation: as with many things, when you’re so close to finding the solution, the problem disappears on you. That’s what happened to me. I re-exported the offending files to IDML files in CS4. When I opened them in CS5, everything seemed copacetic. The old CS4 INDD files still have the corruption when I open them in CS5, but for now, the problem is gone in the IDMLs.

Thanks for your advice on fixing the paragraph style. If (more likely “when”) I come across this problem again, I’ll use that solution.