3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2011 6:46 PM by Linda Nicholls

chop corners of image at 45degrees

prusikknot

I have a newbie question.  I want to chop the corners off of an image at 45degrees.  I want it to intersect the edges at 10 pixels from the corner.  How do I do this? When I select the image the cutting tool is disabled.  I'm using CS5 and a png.

Also do I understand it that Adobe only provides paid support?

Brian

• 1. Re: chop corners of image at 45degrees
          Linda Nicholls Level 4

The Knife tool only works on vectors. One way to do what you want is to draw a rectangle over it with the Beveled Rectangle tool, and then adjust the corners in the Autoshape Preperties panel. Once you've got the corners right, make sure the fill color of the beveled rectangle is white, and then shift-select both the rectangle and the image and choose Modify > Mask > Group as Mask.

• 2. Re: chop corners of image at 45degrees
            prusikknot Level 1

I have a follow up question.  My end objective is to create a border around the image that follows the slants.  I creating the border with a photoshop live effect stroke. Using Linda's suggestion and the stroke, I get the borders chopped off except for the slanted corners.  I tried over sizing the Beveled Rectangle but that didn't work.

How would I create a image with slanted corners and border around it?

Hi Linda,

Thank you for the great answer!!!!

Brian

• 3. Re: chop corners of image at 45degrees
              Linda Nicholls Level 4

SElec t the mask group in the Layers panel and choose Modify > Group, and then Modify > Flatten Selection. Apply your border.