7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 26, 2011 7:26 PM by MichaelKazlow

Copying Parts out of a PDF File

Staten.islander Level 1

I have a five page PDF document. The 4th page has black line art on it that is 1/10th scale.(The original size of the artwork is about 60 x 30 inches).

I need to reproduce this art work on transparencies that I can use on an overhead projector or reproduce it by printing it out on vinyl at full size.

Either way I was hoping someone could tell me how to accomplish the first step, which is to cut the artwork out of that fourth page of the PDF and get it into a (vector)format that I can manipulate further.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Staten.islander

• 1. Re: Copying Parts out of a PDF File
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

I am afraid that anything you do with just the free Reader will produce at best  72 dpi images. In my opinion, the best would be to obtain copies of the originals from the author of the PDF.

• 2. Re: Copying Parts out of a PDF File
            Staten.islander Level 1

Ok, I'm not an expert but what would be the issue with 72dpi if all I wanted to so was print out full size on vinyl(for making a stencil) or print on transparency so that I could project the image onto the surface I intend to paint?

Thanks.

Staten.islander

• 3. Re: Copying Parts out of a PDF File
              ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can give it a shot but it means 72PPI for whatever size it is on the screen when you copy it with the snapshot tool. Since it is not vector, the more you size it up, the worse it gets until you eventualy have a blurry pixelated mess.

It "may" work as a transparency but you'll want to try one to see.

You can do that by using Edit>Take a snapshot, selecting the area, then pasting what you copied into an application that you can print from.

• 4. Re: Copying Parts out of a PDF File
                Staten.islander Level 1

Actually the files I have are imbedded vectored files, meaning that they can be imported into Adobe Illustrator and they will be vectored files.

Now I don't have Adobe Illustrator and I just need to cut out the art from the PDF file and have it printed out on a transparency.

Thanks.

Staten.islander

• 5. Re: Copying Parts out of a PDF File
                  Claudio González Most Valuable Participant

Well, you can try what graffiti suggested. Only don't complain later if the trasparencies look blurry when projected on a screen...

• 6. Re: Copying Parts out of a PDF File
                    Staten.islander Level 1

Ok. I'll have to try a different approach.

I have pdf files that I'm told are imbedded vectored files and can be imported into Adobe Illustrator and enlarged without any issues.

I don't have Adobe Illustrator, but since these files are 1/10th scale and beyond the size of my printer, I was wondering if it is plausible to print out parts of one file in one page of the PDF and stich them together from a bunch of letter sized sheets. If so, what would I need?

Thanks.

Staten.islander

• 7. Re: Copying Parts out of a PDF File
                      MichaelKazlow MVP & Adobe Community Professional

What you need is illustrator and/or Acrobat. If you have Acrobat you can crop the file to show only the content you want, then import it into another program to set the images as you like. Or you can extract the vector art in Illustrator. That is the best way to do what you want. If you are looking a free method then you will need to use non-Adobe tools. For example, Mac Preview allows you to crop pdf files. But you need to ask elsewhere if you want help with non-Adobe tools to accomplish your task.

If this is a one-time effort you can download a trial of Illustrator. You might just find that you will want to purchase it.