bad codec at OSX 10.6.8

F-LIX

hey guys, i'm runnng on OSX snow leopard 10.6.8 an using AE CS5

here is whay i've installed into my rig:

- perian 1.2.3

- the latest version of VLC media player

- quicktime 10.0 (native from OSX)

ok so here are the problems:

1) i was about trying to play the .avi format in Quicktime ----> the result is:

- video glitches which means the video is jagged/pixelate

- audio is on

2) 2nd attempt: using VLC media player--->the result is:

- video looks normal and no more glitches, BUT it plays "laggy"

- the audio is faster than video, so it's not syncronize well

any help would be awesome

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: bad codec at OSX 10.6.8
          bogiesan Level 4

Trash Perian. If you don't know why you have it installed or where it came from, get rid of it.

VLC is totally benign, it's just a player. INability for VLC to play realtime is always about your system's ability to do the math, not the player.

AVI should be converted using Compressor or another transcoder. Trying to play AVI on the fly is pointless on a Mac.

How is this related to After Effects?

• 2. Re: bad codec at OSX 10.6.8
            F-LIX Level 1

sorry i'm new in Mac, how to uninstall perian?

so there's no hope to playing AVI in OSX up until now? that's pretty annoying

there is a relation to AE, because i'll be using it for AE

• 3. Re: bad codec at OSX 10.6.8
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Since you'll use this AVI in AE, there's one thing you haven't mentioned: how does it work and look when you import it into AE?  How does the RAM Preview behave?

• 4. Re: bad codec at OSX 10.6.8
                bogiesan Level 4

F-LIX wrote:

sorry i'm new in Mac, how to uninstall perian?

so there's no hope to playing AVI in OSX up until now? that's pretty annoying

there is a relation to AE, because i'll be using it for AE

AVI is dead. It hangs on only through laziness and market saturation at the amateur level.

AVI is an ancient family of codecs that was never adequately supported on the Macintosh very well..

Convert your AVI files to a Macintosh-friendly codec using any of dozens of transcoders. You will be happier with the results even on Windows machines.

Perian is easily researched on google. It comes with some plugins and comes with some applications. Contact the publisher's web site for more information that will satisfy your technical inquiry.

• 5. Re: bad codec at OSX 10.6.8
                  F-LIX Level 1

i haven't tried it in AE,

but i've tried it in premiere pro CS5 <-- it was behave as VLC does. laggy and desyncronize between audio and video

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ah well, any recomendation for the video converter? really, the best one. as i know in windows, AVS video converter is the best one, no idea about the mac

so in conclusion, Perian is way harmfull for the quicktime? delete it or not?

• 6. Re: bad codec at OSX 10.6.8
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

There's another thing I see in your system setup that could be a concern: Quicktime X. 

I only run QT 7.x, so I don't have personal experience with QT X, but one of the most charitable descriptions of it in Final Cut Pro forums is "a work in progress".  In short, the recommendation goes something like this: if you're serious about using Quicktime, use the latest version of QT 7 available.  If you're in love with Apple's consumer iCrap, QT X will do.  I've also heard that once installed, QT X is insidious.  It's tough to completely eliminate it from your system.

Now, the Good Mr. Bogesian -- a well-known Mac and FCP user -- may have other thoughts on this matter.  I'd believe him before I'd believe me.  Perhaps he'll chime in again.

If you resolve to eliminate QT X and go with QT 7, you can plead for help with the procedure on the Creative COW's Final Cut Pro forum (not the FCP X forum).

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: bad codec at OSX 10.6.8
                      bogiesan Level 4

Unfortunately, I have not been follwoing the FCPX/QTX/Lion converstaions at all. Not interested in any of that nonsense, I have a fabulously stable couple of Final Cut v7 systems running 10.6.8 with no desire to even investigate FCPX.

You're on  your own with the Perian research and decision. You're on your own with the QTX decision, too. If you're running CS5 or CS5.5, you should be able to install the suite according to the system requirements from Adobe for OS version and QT version. If you have QTX, reverting to QT7 is not difficult and it, too, is easily researched. However, you must have a copy of QT7, which means you need your old OS10.6 installation disk. Umm, wait a second, I htink you can find a QT7 installtion disk image at Apple.

Your Adobe sute shoudl have come with an encoder. There are dozens on the market. The best is still probably Compressor but there are many that are free like MPEGStreamClip and DVDxDX ro some such. Hit cnet.com and search for video transcoders.

• 8. Re: bad codec at OSX 10.6.8
                        F-LIX Level 1

sorry, for a little bit stupid question, is Quicktime X = quicktime 10.0 ?

i've download quicktime 7 from official apple site and it runs pretty well

so i've both quicktime 7 and quicktime 10.0 now, will it make some conflict?