5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 7:25 AM by Toomany3

Stereo vs. Mono Audio Tracks - Why?

Toomany3 Level 1

I tink one of the most annyoying features of Premiere is the way it handles audio tracks.  I'm curious if this is just me or if anyone else out there is bothered by the same thing.

I work on a kids' show that has lots of music, sound effects and often 4 different mics for the actors at the same time.  Since I record 2 mics on each cam (R and L), I like to import everything as mono clips so it breaks up my audio and I can label who's on what layer/track.

Sometimes I end up with 20 different audio tracks.  Not because I NEED 20 layers, but because some of my SFX and music come in as stereo and others as mono and I can't put a mono-clip on a stereo clip or vice versa.  This is the part that drives me crazy.  I might need to add a 1-second swoosh SFX for some text coming in and I've got to go to layer 12 (scrolling way down), when just below the video there are 11 empty layers "available" but can't be used because they won't accept placement of that track because it's in stereo when the clip is mono.  Make sense?  So, really, instead of needing 20 tracks, I could EASILY get by with 10 IF Premiere had a way of not being so picky about whether a track is stero or mono and could just handle whatever you dish at it.

• 1. Re: Stereo vs. Mono Audio Tracks - Why?
          shooternz Level 6

Get rid of the empty tracks and manage your project more efficiently by re arranging them.

Seems like you are using a separate track for every sound effect for example.

Use the tilde key on the timeline is a great way to get more work space.

Setting up an Audio Edit Workspace is another.

• 2. Re: Stereo vs. Mono Audio Tracks - Why?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Maybe I have just used PrPro long enough, that I accept the Audio Tracks and channel-count. It makes perfect sense to me, but then maybe I am missing something important. If one does not have the necessary Audio Track, PrPro will create one for you.

This ARTICLE goes into much more detail.

Only thing that I would like changed, is the ability to drag Audio Tracks up/down, like on many DAW's. Otherwise, there is a little "dance," that needs to be done, to organize Audio Tracks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Stereo vs. Mono Audio Tracks - Why?
              Glitchdog Level 1

Hey Toomany3, I like the flag! I'm one of those crazy switchers from FCP and the audio tracks in PP were a real challenge for me. I'm still trying to get my head wrapped around it, watched a few tutorials... For me the switch is learning a whole new workflow anyway, so I just strike this up to learning a different way to do audio too. What shooternz mentions about using the tilde is so quick an powerful & workspace. Just recently discovered and the tilde especially helps for many different things to quickly create more real estate. Bill, thanks for the article link. I'm bookmarking it and looking forward to reading it. Cheers!

• 4. Re: Stereo vs. Mono Audio Tracks - Why?
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Premiere Pro finally got away from having format-specific effects.  Now instead of 3 Fill effects (mono, stereo and 5.1), there's just Fill, and it works on any track.  It would not be bad if PP went even further in the next release and went agnostic on the tracks themselves.

Make' em all mono, with a "steering" option right in the header.

• 5. Re: Stereo vs. Mono Audio Tracks - Why?
                  Toomany3 Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

Premiere Pro finally got away from having format-specific effects.  Now instead of 3 Fill effects (mono, stereo and 5.1), there's just Fill, and it works on any track.  It would not be bad if PP went even further in the next release and went agnostic on the tracks themselves.

Make' em all mono, with a "steering" option right in the header.

Totally agree!  I like the steering option idea.