6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 6:28 PM by rob day

Swatch panel question

Brewha8 Level 1

Is there a plugin or a way to print out the CMYK formulas I used in a file? I did an 80 page magazine for a client and am making myself a cheat sheet for future refrence. I would like to include the swatches as well. Just curious if anyone has heard of a way to just print the formulas out.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Swatch panel question
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It might be scriptable, but why not make an Adobe Swatch Exchange (.ase) file so they can be loaded into any Adobe program? You can create a swatch for every color in use in the document, even if there wasn't one before, by choosing Add Unnamed Colors from the Swatches panel flyout menu, and you can remove any swatches not in use by choosing Select All Unused and then deleting them. Now select all the swatches and choose Save Swatches. To load them in another document, choose Load Swatches.

• 2. Re: Swatch panel question
            [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Here is a quick Javascript to list swatches and their values in the system they are defined in (CMYK, Lab, or RGB). It doesn't handle gradients or mixed inks -- should it?

It pops up a dialog with selectable text which you can copy to any document you'd like.

// The very useful alert_scroll function comes courtesy of Tomaxxi:
            // (http://indisnip.wordpress.com/2010/07/28/scrollable-alert/)
            swatchList = app.activeDocument.swatches;
            result = [];
            for (a=0; a<swatchList.length; a++)
                      try {
                                result.push (swatchList[a].name+"\t"+app.activeDocument.colors.item(swatchList[a].name).colorValue.join(","));
                      } catch(_) {}

alert_scroll("Swatch values", result);

function alert_scroll (title, input){
               if (input instanceof Array)
                   input = input.join ("\r");
               var w = new Window ("dialog", title);
               var list = w.add ("edittext", undefined, input, {multiline: true, scrolling: true});
               list.maximumSize.height = w.maximumSize.height-100;
               list.minimumSize.width = 550;
               w.add ("button", undefined, "Close", {name: "ok"});
               w.show ();
            }

Message was edited by: [Jongware] .. or Tints, as I just noticed. (Should it?)

• 3. Re: Swatch panel question

Can you make it PRINT the list. or write to a text file? OP wants to print it out, which does seem important for moving values to a new file.

• 4. Re: Swatch panel question
                [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Peter, you'd be surprised to learn what's possible.

It's possible to generate the entire cheat sheet in one single go with Everything You'd Always Wanted To Know (etc.), page sizes, margins, fonts, paragaph and characters styles -- and this itty bitty list at the end; formatted and all as an ID document, in a font of choice; then have InDesign print it automatically, and then discard this temporary file.

However, that's a bit beyond 'a quick script'. This list can simply be copied into any other program the OP cares to use to write his factoid sheet, be it InDesign, Word, or whatever he likes.

• 5. Re: Swatch panel question

Didn't know you could copy out of the alert. That certainly helps.

Of course, I stand by the .ase approach as a better solution in the long run.

• 6. Re: Swatch panel question
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are using OSX this applescript will make a color chart with labels:

http://www.zenodesign.com/forum/MakeColorGrid.zip