5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2011 5:15 PM by fancypants59

Oversaturation problems when opening in RAW

fancypants59

I'm just learning about color profiles and management right now, and can't figure out the cause/solution to this problem.

Here is a screen shot of one image as it appears in Bridge - the one on the left is from the camera import, the one on the right is after it was opened in PS RAW and saved. The same problem carries over to PS5, and it appears as soon as the image is opened. It is not a result of saving or editing.

saturation contrast.jpg

I am trying to include the metadata, since I'll bet someone asks for it, but I have no idea how to copy and paste it. I've looked - my tolerance for frustration has been exceeded.

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: Oversaturation problems when opening in RAW
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

It appears that the image on the left is using the embedded JPEG preview and the one on the right is after ACR have generated the preview. In Bridge, if you set your settings to Always High Quality at the top upper right preview options then you won't see any differences in the previews in Bridge, ACR and later when opening in Photoshop.

• 2. Re: Oversaturation problems when opening in RAW
            Noel Carboni Level 7

Assuming you're seeing the difference in the preview of a raw file from your camera and the result of a conversion, let's start with a few basic questions.

• How have you set Bridge to display your thumbnails?

BridgeOptionsForThumbnailQualityAndPreviewGeneration.jpg

• What kind of monitor do you have, and have you calibrated/profiled it?  If so, please describe how.

• What Camera Raw camera profile are you using to do your conversions?  Do you realize that previews or JPEGs generated in your camera should not, in general, be expected to match very closely color-wise with Adobe conversions?  Adobe does supply some profiles for Camera Raw for most cameras that match better than the Adobe Standard profile.

Perhaps grabbing your entire screen - ideally showing the color mismatches in context - and posting the whole thing here would help with further understanding.

-Noel

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Oversaturation problems when opening in RAW
              fancypants59 Level 1

I just changed my settings (thanks for the tip!) and after the thumbnails re-generated there was still a huge difference in the two images.

• 4. Re: Oversaturation problems when opening in RAW
                fancypants59 Level 1
                • What kind of monitor do you have, and have you calibrated/profiled it?  If so, please describe how.

I have not calibrated my monitor, which is on a Macbook Pro 15". I'm borrowing a calibrator tomorrow to see how it works. (If anyone has a tip for finding a used calibrator, that would be appreciated.) I'm not sure how recalibrating my monitor will help this particular problem since the two images are supposed to be so similar, but I'll take your word for it.

• What Camera Raw camera profile are you using to do your conversions?  Do you realize that previews or JPEGs generated in your camera should not, in general, be expected to match very closely color-wise with Adobe conversions?  Adobe does supply some profiles for Camera Raw for most cameras that match better than the Adobe Standard profile.

I'm looking into getting my camera's settings into the RAW editor. Thanks.

• Perhaps grabbing your entire screen - ideally showing the color mismatches in context - and posting the whole thing here would help with further understanding.

If these things don't work, I'll post the screenshot. Do you want it just to see what everything on my monitor looks like, or is there something in particular that would be helpful?

• 5. Re: Oversaturation problems when opening in RAW
                  fancypants59 Level 1

I should add that it's not the difference in the display between the two programs that is the actual problem - it is the blown out highlights and resulting saturated blues and reds that I want to fix. I assume the information that is required to clean the picture up is contained somewhere in the file, otherwise I don't see how the preview can show the image with the detail intact.