9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 8:52 AM by the_wine_snob

Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?

01af Level 1

After using Premiere Elements 8.0.1 on Windows XP SP3 for two years mostly hassle-free, all of sudden I am unable to use this program anymore. Since today, media will become unaccessible and will get replaced by a still image saying 'media pending' in six or seven languages as soon as their video previews are finished. It does not matter whether the preview rendering has happened in the background or by hitting 'Return' (which starts the rendering of the previews explicitly). Saving the project, quitting Premiere Elements, and re-launching it does not help—the rendered media will remain 'pending' (whatever that's supposed to mean). When hitting 'Play' then on the timeline the CTI marker will advance properly ... but no video in the preview window; just the still saying, 'media pending'.

As soon as I delete the rendered preview files, the media will become available again ... but of course un-rendered so it's virtually impossible to work with them. The media are AVCHD clips from a Sony Handycam camcorder.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on here, and what to do to resolve the issue? I am not aware of any significant changes in my workflow or with my computer's configuration since the last time I successfully put together a video from a couple of AVCHD clips, and there still is a lot of free space on the hard disks ...

• 1. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is an indication that your media files have been moved or removed or that the device on which they are being stored has been disconnected.

Where are your media files located?

• 2. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?
            01af Level 1

The actual media files are located on the same (local, internal) SATA hard disk where the project file is, just in another folder. I have not moved or renamed the files after importing them into my project. In the Project pane, they are shown as expected, each with the clip's first frame as the icon. The icon will stay in the Project pane even when the Monitor and the Sceneline panes are showing the dreaded 'media pending' image. All the files will play properly in the Monitor pane when they are not rendered ... albeit very jaggedly.

• 3. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?

How fast is your processor? How much RAM do you have? And how much clean, freshly-defragmented free space do you have on your drive?

• 4. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?
                01af Level 1

CPU is as fast and RAM as much as it always was over the last two years, so that cannot be the culprit. However I am afraid my disks are pretty fragmented. So I will defragment them now—thanks for the suggestion. Still, I'll be surprised if that's gonna help ...

• 5. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?
                  01af Level 1

Much to my surprise, defragmenting the hard disk drives has solved the problem.

The drives were not as badly fragmented as I thought, and the Windows Disk Defragmenter said, 'you don't need to defragment this drive'. I defragmented both drives involved anyway (the one where the Media Cache resides and the one where the media files and the project folder are). This mostly defragmented the disks' free space. After that, I re-booted the machine ... et voilà, Premiere Elements now works and renders the media like a charm.

I can understand that fragmentation of a disk's free space will slow down things ... but I cannot understand why things stop working altogether. PrE did render the media; I could see them in the preview files folder inside the project folder. So PrE did not have any problems to create new files on the fragmented disk. The rendered files just didn't work ... strange.

But now they do work.Thank you, Steve, for taking the time to reply to my question. The idea to defragment the drives would never have occurred to me. As soon as I'm finished with my current video project, I will upgrade to Premiere Elements 10 ... I just don't want to change horses midstream right now. And then I'll purchase The Muvipix.com Guide to Premiere Elements 10, too—I have this book for PrE 8, and I consider it essential for PrE users. Without it, I would not be able to get any video work done ... a real life-saver.

• 6. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?

Video needs a lot of contiguous scratch disc space to work, O1af. So fragmentation can limit how much space the program can grab in chunks.

Glad it helped. And thanks for supporting the books!

• 7. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

"Media Pending," is stating that it is taking time to gather up all the bytes for the Assests. This can be an almost instant process, or with file fragmentation, can take quite a whlie, as the heads have to seek all around the platters, to gather the info.

I find that defragmentation, after a day of editing, keeps that seek time to an absolute minimum, and even on major Projects, with 1,000's of media files, is so quick, that I never see "Media Pending."

I use Diskkeeper, BUT have it set to full manual, so that no defragmenting is done, during editing. I have everything, but my editing software (and maybe Photoshop, etc.) running. I do not want ANY other operations running in the background, and especially anything, that reads/writes files, such as Windows Indexing, or any real-time scanning, whether anti-virus, or malware detection. The real-time programs, can also lock files, upon read, and especially write, and I do not want that to happen, as my NLE needs access for both read, and write, while working.

As video editing creates large, working files, I defragment daily, so that ALL files are contiguous, and all free space is defragmented, ready for those working files.

Good luck, and happy editing,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?
                        01af Level 1

Bill Hunt wrote:

"Media Pending," is stating that it is taking time to gather up all the bytes for the Assests. This can be an almost instant process, or with file fragmentation, can take quite a whlie, as the heads have to seek all around the platters, to gather the info.

Yeah ... but the first two times I rendered my current project (75 media files, 4.2 GB altogether, i. e. rather smallish, and approx 90 GB free on the disk), I did it overnight. PrE finished rendering after less than two hours and then sat idle for, umm, four or five more hours while I slept. So PrE did not need just some more time to gather the bytes but the media access was seriously screwed up. Even when I tried rendering only one single two-second clip, the media then was pending forever.

Bill Hunt wrote:

I find that defragmentation, after a day of editing, keeps that seek time to an absolute minimum, and even on major Projects, with 1,000's of media files, is so quick, that I never see "Media Pending."

Okay ... so I guess I shall defragment my disks more frequently. Thank you for the advice.

• 9. Re: Why do media get marked as 'pending' as soon as their preview renditions are finished?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

While PrE does not demand "defragmented free space," it certainly works better, when it has plenty, to lay down those working files, like the Media Cache (containing those CFA files), and I/O performance, both read and write, will be improved.

It's the same for Photoshop's Scratch Disks, which are very similar to the Media Cache files in PrE, though with differences. PS will allow them to be written (and read from later) to a fragmented drive, but performance will decline, the greater the decline.

The same goes for the Windows Virtual Memory (Page File). The lower the fragmentation, the better. That is one reason that I usually locate that onto a second HDD, and set it up to be static (size does not change, per usage, unlike letting Windows dynamically manage it), and on a totally clean HDD, before any other files are written. Then, that static Page File is created in the same exact area of that HDD (at the beginning, which is fastest) at boot up. That also makes defragmenting that HDD easier on Diskkeeper, as that large file is never fragmented, and is always at the head of that HDD.

Good luck, and glad that you are now efficiently editing.

Hunt