20 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2011 2:58 PM by podulation

Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion

podulation Level 1

Greetings,

Symptoms:

I'm experiencing a consistent crash behavior after quiting Premiere Pro (ver 5.5.1 and 5.5.2). The complexity of the project doesn't seem to matter and once it crashes, i get the prompt indicating the app encountered a serious error and will try to save the project. I then get the usual crash report prompt to send to apple followed by the adobe crash report a few minutes later (must be why i see "dynamiclinkmanager" in top for a bit after PP crashes).

If I reopen PP, I'm prompted with a dialog box asking if I want the last project opened. If I say yes, I'm back to a crash before any assets load (unexpected serious error and the app will need to close) followed by the crash reports again for apple and adobe. Basically, i get one chance to make a project and it goes bad when closing the application.

I'm using an install from a DVD, but had also tried the web version. I was able to create a couple projects with the web version (trial) and then when I got the DVD, i believe i used that for updating/authenticating, etc - maybe that's where things went south (anyone else observe a similar pattern?).  I didn't think too much of mixing the DVD content with the web install, so the steps around how i mixed those two sources is somewhat fuzzy.

For reference, i'm pasting the crash report inline. To reproduce, I just had to open PP, click no when asked to open the last project that unexpectedly quit, and then just hit quit and got the crash. I didn't do anything other than accept the project defaults in order to test out hitting command-Q.

If I can provide futher info to help with a repro, please let me know.

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance,

Todd

<<begin crash report>>

Process:         Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5 [280]

Path:            /Volumes/VOLUME/*/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Premiere Pro CS5.5

Identifier:      com.adobe.AdobePremierePro

Version:         5.5.2 (5.5.2)

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  launchd [126]

Date/Time:       2011-12-08 21:42:17.998 -0800

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.7.2 (11C74)

Report Version:  9

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:

objc[280]: garbage collection is OFF

terminate called without an active exception

abort() called

Message was edited by: Jeff Bellune.  Edited for brevity.

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
          Jim_Simon Level 8

We're just users here.  Posting all that crash data just takes up a lot of forum space and makes it harder for us to scroll through each post in this thread.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
            podulation Level 1

ah, understood and apologies -  I saw another post where it was asked for and figured I was ahead of things...my bad

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
              Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

No problem.  I edited your crash report to something more manageable.

-Jeff

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                zikade Level 2

What kind of hardware you are using?

I used to have a similar problem, which I couldn't fix until very recently. Over here, it's appeared to be a problem using my Blackmagic Card and having the Mercury Engine enabled.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                  Jon Chappell Level 3

Jeff, you edited out the backtrace which is the only part that's really useful.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If you (or another user) thinks that they can help based on a more complete crash log, then please handle that via PM.  Thanks.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                      podulation Level 1

Thanks for reply zikade, here's my rig:

Model Name:          Mac Pro

Model Identifier:          MacPro5,1

Processor Name:          6-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed:          2.66 GHz

Number of Processors:          2

Total Number of Cores:          12

L2 Cache (per Core):          256 KB

L3 Cache (per Processor):          12 MB

Memory:          64 GB

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model:          ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type:          GPU

VRAM (Total):          1024 MB

Regarding en/disabling the mercury engine, is there another place to toggle that? I didn't think i had any other choice at this time with my card option (until i get a nvidia cuda card). FWIW, When creating a new project, the options in the drop down menu for "Video Rendering and Playback" is greyed out with "Mercury Playback Engine Software Only" as the selected option.

I was also thinking of putting a fresh Lion install on another disk (bah, would prefer to not have to do this since I have other stuff all nice and set up on current OS install), but at this point I'm fine to take the hit and level the playing field w/ a fresh OS, image that for downstream testing if a fresh install is needed again, and then start installing things one at a time until something goes wrong.

It seems (i hope)  this error could be caused by something pretty basic as it is a complete showstopper. Unless somehow what I'm doing is super unique, there would be other folks out there dead in the water, to, but making waves.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                        podulation Level 1

Thanks, Jeff for making my thread more digestable.

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                          podulation Level 1

Oh, and have folks noticed a difference in stability between the version downloadable from the web and the one available on DVD?

I have both and at this point have tested both w/ the same results (but not on a fresh OS install).

Also, I have a copy of AfterEffects installed (but haven't started the trial yet) - it sits on a different disk than my recent PP installs, but again all are using the same OS, so if there are prefs buried somewhere, those are being reused (hence my desire to use fresh OS installs). Just trying the offer up anything that could cause conflicts.

Appreciate the responses so far, folks!

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                            zikade Level 2

Nice setup!

So, just to make sure, there is no AJA, BMD, Matrox or whatever capture card on your system, right?

Is there anything out of the ordinary in the log (through Console.app)?

Since your rig is fairly new (since Apple didn't update the.. ah, forget it) I suppose you did not import your system from an older Mac. If you did, you might want to check your Quicktime Plugins; I used to have an ancient DVCPRO codec which somehow was disturbing the quicktime-ppro bridge (I forgot how its called, certainly not quicktime-bridge). Deleting that helped.

Just out of morbid curiosity, you might want to limit your RAM using maxmem=8192 as a kernel parameter. I doubt it would help in your case (had an old pci-card years ago which wouldn't work otherwise), its more like ruling things out.

It might help to look at your log files, right now its just guessing, at least in my case.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                              Jon Chappell Level 3

If you PM me the crash log I'd be glad to check it out.

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                podulation Level 1

Thanks Jon and zikade -

I sent a PM to both of you w/ the adobe crash log  - also, zikade since you mentioned console, i sent you a log snip from there showing that angle of things. Jon, please let me know if that was also part of the log info you originally wanted and i'll send it your way, too.

cheers,

todd

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                  podulation Level 1

So - a basic question is, do I need to get rid of the ATI Radeon card and buy a nvidia card to avoid this crash?

I've read some painful experiences w/ the quadro4000 card and how things can change and quit working after rebooting (have also read a thread about installing drivers as root, which probably keeps them a bit safer than if they were installed by a regular user).

By keeping the ATI card, I was hoping that the only thing i would have to deal with is that I wouldn't have CUDA (which at least i could still do something), but it really does seem odd that the ony way I can get this mac pro to *possibly* work with PP is to kick down another $800 in hopes that solves an "command-Q" bug that crashes PP.  Everything else seems to run fine on this machine - it's absolutely bizarre that a fairly top end machine cannot get past "go" with PP.

I'm just not feeling the "pro-ness" or anything close to it w/ Premiere "Pro".

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                    podulation Level 1

I'm going out on a limb here and will answer my own question - It should be "no" - I shouldn't have to upgrade my video card for the software to "work", but instead if I want it to have "increased performance via CUDA".

In this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/883780?start=0&tstart=0

It discusses that one wouldn't get accelerated performance if they use an ATI 5770, but the card will still work.

That said, can anyone confirm a Mac Pro running an ATI 5770 graphics card w/ PP (any version from 5.0-5.5.52) *actually* works?

thanks in advance,

todd

• 15. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                      podulation Level 1

I was also thinking of installing Snow Leopard to see if Lion just isn't ready for Premiere Pro yet (or the other way around).

Whatever the deal is, I will update my post since I know my pain will help someone else down the road banging there head against the desk...

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                        zikade Level 2

CS5.5 was released before the release of Lion, which unfortunately didn't work to well together initially (try the color picker in PPro 5.5 for example). 5.5.1 eliminated some of them, 5.5.2 some more - at least for me.

Actually, not having a mercury enabled graphics card while using 5.5.0 on Lion is quite an advantage, since you certainly miss some of the more esoteric problems.

Am 12.12.2011 um 22:44 schrieb podulation <forums@adobe.com>:

Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion

created by podulation in Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 - View the full discussion

I was also thinking of installing Snow Leopard to see if Lion just isn't ready for Premiere Pro yet (or the other way around).

Whatever the deal is, I will update my post since I know my struggles will help someone else down the road who is banging there head against the desk wonder why the heck so much cash was spent on something that doesn't work...

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4080134#4080134

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/4080134#4080134. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Pro CS5 & CS5.5 by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                          podulation Level 1

thanks, zikade -

I've got a fresh install of Lion (also imaged the fresh install to get back to baseline quickly) as well as a fresh install of PP5.5.0 (from the DVD) on a fresh disk waiting for me to get home and test.

Hopefully w/ everything zeroed out, i can adjust things one at a time and hopefully pinpoint where things are going wrong. Will update after I experiment more....

thanks again for the help and cheers,

todd

p.s. haven't been able to go the leopard->snow leopard route yet since I have just the snow leopard disk and not the 10.5 version which is a prerequisite. Also sort of hoping that doesn't matter and i just get to enjoy PP5.5.0 on Lion w/o a Mercury engine card -i'd be happy with that, at least until things stabilize a bit more.

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                            podulation Level 1

ok! I've made progress and will be hopefully closing this bug soon.

My fix (and thanks for all the advice here!!) included resintalling the OS and PP (with images created at each stage so i can roll things back easily). Currently, I have 5.5.0 installed from the DVD and haven't done the upgrade to 5.5.2. I'll test that out as well and report back.

One thing that is different from my set up that was crashing all the time is that i installed PP to the drive containing the OS and my previous attempts included 1) originally installing PP on the OS disk, which i think had better stability and 2) installed on a separate disk, which was the install that crashed.

However, I really want to keep my app installs on a separate physical disk and will have to test that out as i dial things in from here (will also report on the success/failure of this angle). I also interested in installing digital performer for music production, but will do that in stages (with disk images at each stage)

So, the only crash i had in my limited testing since i got it to work again was when i clicked on a video in the assets bin, but wasn't able to recreate it, so maybe it was a one off . we'll see....

I'm feeling more of the pro now in premeire pro...i knew it was there and getting my expectations squared up on what it takes to install/configure/maintain this software was half the battle.

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                              StevenNoire1

Equally I'm on OSX lion as well 16gb I7 IMAC and premiere pro cs 5 5.04 is crashing like mad after the last update.  First reinstall generated error 5.  Fresh install of OSX LION, and all products.  Photoshop works without an issue, Premiere and After effects both crash and burn.      And of course support is closed on the weekend.  So hopefully someone has made headway on the crashing. 

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro crashes after quit - Mac OSX Lion
                                                podulation Level 1

Maybe due to some of your other installs?

Since I started this thread, I very recently got PP5.5.0 to work on Lion, even w/ my ATI card and it's proving quite stable. I do need to test further though since PP is the only  3rd party stuff on this OS install and it's inconvenient to change startup disks when i want to use other apps.

I ended up making dmg's at each rollback point during  debugging, i.e. after fresh OS install, then after install PP, etc.

Made it somewhat easy to get back to last known good state if I had any issues.  

I may also test out the Adobe updates, but w/ the given stability i have (fingers crossed) not sure I want to update something that isn't broken. Even w/ disk images to speed things up, i'd rather be in the mix. I'll eventually do that, but right now i'm enjoying being able to use PP.

Hope that helps, i'd say back things out until it works, or bring it back up from square one, make images along the way and see where things break. I'm also  not sure  how invasive an install is (e.g. can it's impact really all be reverted) and w/o a fresh install of the OS as a reliable starting point, I'm sometimes leery of some lingering pref/dependency  silently screwing things up (e.g. after uninstall/reinstall, same behavior ). it's a pita, but so is major downtime.

Let me know if I can provide other details/info.

btw, I haven't mixed AE w/ a PP install, but I plan to. The other main software I want to have on this OS install is Digital Performer, but that'll just have  to be on another image.

cheers,

todd