4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 8:21 AM by Rick Gerard

Finder & After Effects seeing wrong video resolution

MichaelDavis57 Level 1

Does anyone know why mac Finder is saying videos are 960x540 in its preview details, when the videos are actually 1920x1080?

Open them in Quicktime and they're correctly identified as 1920, but open then in After Effects and they come up as 960.

If you try resizing it, it looks blockier, as if it has been stretched quite a bit.  And they're definitely 1920, because I exported them as that.

They're .movs, either MP4s or H264s, running mac 10.6.

Cheers

• 1. Re: Finder & After Effects seeing wrong video resolution
          bogiesan Level 4

MichaelDavis57 wrote:

Does anyone know why mac Finder is saying videos are 960x540 in its preview details, when the videos are actually 1920x1080?

Open them in Quicktime and they're correctly identified as 1920, but open then in After Effects and they come up as 960.

If you try resizing it, it looks blockier, as if it has been stretched quite a bit.  And they're definitely 1920, because I exported them as that.

They're .movs, either MP4s or H264s, running mac 10.6.

Cheers

You've described  a seemingly impossible situation. Qt displays two types of pixel dimensions, the size of the palyback and the size of the movie file. Be sure you're seeing the right one. AW usually gets things correctly and so does Finder. QT Player will show anything you want it to show. One way to help nail this discrepency down is to examine the sizes of the files themselves. If ia full -rez HD file is 100%, one that has been scaled by 50% (to your dimensions) actually contains only 25% of the total number of pixels so the file is much smaller.

• 2. Re: Finder & After Effects seeing wrong video resolution
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This is a known issue with some QT files and the "resolution bit". Do a web search, this has been covered somewhere and from changing the relevant parts in the extended movie info to some otehr things there are some easy enough fixes.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Finder & After Effects seeing wrong video resolution
              bogiesan Level 4

Mylenium wrote:

This is a known issue with some QT files and the "resolution bit". Do a web search, this has been covered somewhere and from changing the relevant parts in the extended movie info to some otehr things there are some easy enough fixes.

Mylenium

Really? Okay, news to me, what a terrible thing for Apple to do to us!

I'm glad I've never had this issue come up.

Thanks for the tip.

bogiesan

• 4. Re: Finder & After Effects seeing wrong video resolution
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Open up the movie in QT, view at full resolution, save the movie.

Most of the time this fixes the problem. QT is just recording the last viewed resolution in the file header.