14 Replies Latest reply on May 19, 2012 9:16 PM by vicky sandler

Loading multiple style modules not working

Pete Thomas

Hi there

I am creating an application that has a requirement for the skins to be loaded at runtime. I had hoped to achieve this with style modules however I am experiencing some difficulties.

I am using SDK 4.51

The skins are set as style classreferences as below which is then compiled with Ant!!

.tableChat

{

skinClass: ClassReference("strata.client.communitymodule.components.skins.ChatComponentSkin");

}

Everything is working fine as long as I use only one style module. I load it in base application and when I load my sub modules (using the base modulefactory) they inherit the styles and I am able to skin the modules.

But if I load a second stylemodule these styles will not be inherited and in fact aren't even registered correctly in the top level stylemanger, the selectors container weird values. I have tried a variety of approaches mixing in different application and security domains and even tried getting the modules to load in the skins with their own stylemanager but nothing works.

Any light that could be shedded on this would be gratefully received.

Pete

• 1. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
          jfb00 Level 3

Hi,

Take a look at this link

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf62883-7ff2.html

You need to included reference in your CSS file like:

@namespace s "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark";

@namespace mx "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/mx";

Best,

• 2. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
            jfb00 Level 3

Here is more clear:

http://devgirl.org/2011/06/14/flex-4-5-mobile-development-tabs-on-top/

@namespace s "library://ns.adobe.com/flex/spark";

s | tableChat

{

skinClass: ClassReference("strata.client.communitymodule.components.skins.ChatComponentSkin");

}

I hope it helps.

• 3. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
              Pete Thomas Level 1

Thankyou for trying to help but you cannot specify custom type selectors for spark like this.

You have opened another possibilty though to create my own manifest and custom namespace, however I would be loathed to do that as I'm fairly sure the problems are down to the changes of stylemanagers in Flex 4

• 4. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
                Flex harUI Adobe Employee

Have you proven that the second module works correctly if you don’t load the first one?

What is in the second CSS module?  Strip it down to one or two selectors.

What parameters are you using to load the modules?  Which SWF contains the code for that?

• 5. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
                  Pete Thomas Level 1

Hi Alex

Thankyou for replying.

Yes I have proven that only one will work I have two style modules only the first one registers correctly.

I load the style modules in the main application like this: (update take place once last style module is loaded)

eventDispatcher = styleManager.loadStyleDeclarations( styleModuleUrl, updateStyles, false )

eventDispatcher = styleManager.loadStyleDeclarations( styleModuleUrl, updateStyles, false, ApplicationDomain.currentDomain, SecurityDomain.currentDomain )

I am loading the app modules into the main application like this (though I did try different combination of app and security domains):

info.load(null, null, null, FlexGlobals.topLevelApplication.moduleFactory);

The first module has only one selector:

.preloaderSkin

{

skinClass: ClassReference("strata.client.shell.components.skins.GenericGamePreloaderSkin");

}

The second has three:

.tableChat

{

}

.chatTextArea

{

skinClass: ClassReference("strata.client.communitymodule.components.skins.ChatTextAreaSkin");

}

.chatInputText

{

skinClass: ClassReference("strata.client.communitymodule.components.skins.ChatInputTextSkin");

}

• 6. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
                    Pete Thomas Level 1

Hi Alex

I have revisited this issue and it is actually still occuring. When I previously said it was ok I must have embedded the stylesheet in one of the swf's.

So just to clarify the Stylemanager will load whatever is first stleymodule and the skins will work correctly, Any subsequent stylemodules loaded doeas not work and weird selector appear in the StyleManager.

This has now become a show stopper, could you advise on the best way to get this solved.

Pete

• 7. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working

Each module should have its own stylemanager.  Are you sure you are looking in the right place?

Do you have a simple test case?

• 8. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
                        Pete Thomas Level 1

Hi Alex

I was able to get this working but had to give up on using the top level application styleManager and had each module load its style module with its own styleManager.

This is all great and has been released.

But alas another problem has come to light which I am at my wits end with and would appreciate any advice you can offer.

I am in the process of creating an Android build of the same application and everything works! When debugging via USB ob the device, however when I create an optimised release build there is a problem with the module style modules. I am pretty sure an definitiion exception is being thrown from the style module but am unable to see this, any ideas?

I have been playing around with compiler configs and load-externs to optimise modules and style modules I use a custom config based on https://github.com/bustardcelly/flex-runtime-css.

The style module for the top level (mobile) app uses airmobile-config.xml

I have pasted the release build tasks below I wonder if you could advise on best practise re: compiler options with Ant. The SDK is 4.6.0 with the Air 3.2 SDK over the top.

In the meantime I am going to remove all load externs and custom configs and resume static linkage to see if this solves my issue.

Thankyou

Pete

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<project name="Android Poker Resource bundle builder" basedir="." default="main">

<property name="FLEX_HOME" location="/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0"/>

<taskdef resource="flexTasks.tasks" classpath="${FLEX_HOME}/ant/lib/flexTasks.jar" />

<target name="main">

<antcall target="compile_shell" />

<antcall target="compile_lobby" />

<antcall target="compile_poker" />

<antcall target="compile_tournament" />

<antcall target="create_shell_styles_L" />

<antcall target="create_poker_android_L_styles" />

<antcall target="create_lobby_android_L_styles" />

<antcall target="create_tournament_android_L_styles" />

</target>

<!-- COMPILE ANDROID MODULES -->

<target name="compile_shell"> 

<echo level="info">Target::compile</echo>

<mxmlc           debug="true"

file="../flex4-shell-android/src/Shell.mxml"

output="../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/Shell.swf"

static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="true"

isolate-styles="false"

>

<locale>en_US</locale>

<load-config filename="/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0/frameworks/airmobile-config.xml"/>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-amqp/src"/>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-corelib/src"/>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-flexgoodies/src"/>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-community/src"/>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-shelllib/src"/>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-tournamentlib/src"/>

<compiler.library-path dir="../flex4-corelib/lib" append="true">

<include name="parsley-flex4-2.4.1.swc"/>

<include name="spicelib-flash-2.4.0.swc"/>

<include name="as3crypto.swc"/>

<include name="tweener.swc"/>

</compiler.library-path>

<compiler.library-path dir="../flex4-shell-android/libs" append="true">

<include name="DConsole2.2.swc"/>

<include name="logo_loader.swc"/>

<include name="AndroidIABAPI.swc"/>

</compiler.library-path>

<compiler.library-path dir="../flex4-shelllib/lib" append="true">

<include name="Yazino_Intro_Animation_v2.swc"/>

</compiler.library-path>

<compiler.library-path dir="/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0" append="true">

<include name="frameworks/libs"/>

<include name="frameworks/locale/en_US"/>

</compiler.library-path>

<default-size width="500" height="600"/>

<link-report>shell-android-link-report.xml</link-report>

</mxmlc>

</target>

<target name="compile_lobby"> 

<mxmlc 

debug="true"

file="../flex4-lobbymodule/src/LobbyModule.mxml"

output="../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/LobbyModule.swf"

static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="false"

>

</compiler.library-path>

<compiler.library-path dir="/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0" append="true">

</compiler.library-path>

<load-externs>../flex4-shell-android/shell-android-link-report.xml</load-externs>

<link-report>../flex4-lobbymodule/lobby-link-report.xml</link-report>

</mxmlc>

</target>

<target name="compile_poker"> 

<mxmlc 

debug="true"

file="../flex4-pokermain/src/PokerModule.mxml"

output="../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/PokerModule.swf"

>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-pokerlib/src"/>

</compiler.library-path>

<compiler.library-path dir="../flex4-flexgoodies/lib" append="true">

<include name="flex4gizmoAssets.swc"/>

<include name="gizmoAssetsStart.swc"/>

</compiler.library-path>

<compiler.library-path dir="../flex4-pokerlib/libs" append="true">

<include name="flexlayouts-0.7.swc"/>

<include name="flexlayoutshelper-0.7.swc"/>

<include name="FlexUnit.swc"/>

<include name="hamcrest-as3-1.1.1.swc"/>

<include name="melomel-0.6.2.swc"/>

<include name="mockolate-0.11.0-flex.swc"/>

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

<load-externs>../flex4-shell-android/shell-android-link-report.xml</load-externs>

<link-report>../flex4-pokermain/poker-link-report.xml</link-report>

</mxmlc>

</target>

<target name="compile_tournament"> 

<mxmlc 

debug="true"

file="../flex4-tournamentmodule/src/TournamentModule.mxml"

output="../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/TournamentModule.swf"

>

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

<link-report>../flex4-tournamentmodule/tournament-link-report.xml</link-report>

</mxmlc>

</target>

<!-- CREATE STYLES -->

<target name="create_shell_styles_L">

<echo>Compiling shell_styles</echo>

<mxmlc file="../flex4-shell-android/src/Shell_Android_L_en_US.css"  static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="false">

<source-path path-element="../flex4-shell-android/src"/>

<output>../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/shellStyles_en_US.swf</output>

</compiler.library-path>

<compiler.library-path dir="../flex4-shell-android/libs" append="true">

<include name="DConsole2.2.swc"/>

<include name="logo_loader.swc"/>

</compiler.library-path>

<compiler.library-path dir="../flex4-shelllib/lib" append="true">

<include name="Yazino_Intro_Animation_v2.swc"/>

</compiler.library-path>

<load-config filename="/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0/frameworks/airmobile-config.xml"/>

<!--<load-externs>../flex4-shell-android/shell-android-link-report.xml</load-externs>-->

<link-report>shell_styles_report.xml</link-report> 

</mxmlc>

<echo>Successfully compiled Shell Styles...</echo>

</target>

<target name="create_poker_android_L_styles">

<echo>Compiling poker_styles</echo>

<mxmlc file="../flex4-pokermain/src/styles_Poker_Android_L.css" static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="false">

<source-path path-element="../flex4-pokermain/src/" />

<output>../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/pokerStylesPokerAndroidL_en_US.swf</output>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-corelib/src" />

<source-path path-element="../flex4-flexgoodies/src" />

<source-path path-element="../flex4-pokerlib/src" />

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

<load-externs>../flex4-pokermain/poker-link-report.xml</load-externs>

<load-config filename="/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0/frameworks/style-config.xml"/>

</mxmlc> 

<echo>Successfully compiled Poker Styles...</echo>

</target>

<!--

<target name="create_poker_android_XL_styles">

<mxmlc file="../flex4-pokermain/src/styles_Poker_Android_XL.css" static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="false">

<output>../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/pokerStylesPokerAndroidL_en_US.sw f</output>

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

<load-config filename="/Applications/Adobe Flash Builder 4.6/sdks/4.6.0/frameworks/style-config.xml"/>

</mxmlc>

</target>

-->

<!--

<target name="create_poker_android_XL_styles">

<mxmlc file="../flex4-pokermain/src/styles_Poker_Android_XL.css" static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="false">

<output>../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/pokerStylesPokerAndroidL_en_US.sw f</output>

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

</mxmlc>

</target>

-->

<target name="create_lobby_android_L_styles">

<echo>Compiling lobby_styles</echo>

<mxmlc file="../flex4-lobbymodule/src/style_Poker_Android_L.css" static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="false">

<source-path path-element="../flex4-lobbymodule/src"/>

<output>../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/lobbyStylesPokerAndroidL_en_US.swf</output>

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

<load-externs>../flex4-lobbymodule/lobby-link-report.xml</load-externs>

</mxmlc>

<echo>Successfully compiled LobbyModule Styles...</echo>

</target>

<!--

<target name="create_lobby_android_XL_styles">

<echo>Compiling lobby_styles</echo>

<mxmlc file="../flex4-lobbymodule/src/style_Poker_Android_XL.css" static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="false">

<source-path path-element="../flex4-lobbymodule/src"/>

<output>../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/lobbyStylesPokerAndroidL_en_US.sw f</output>

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

<load-externs>../flex4-lobbymodule/lobby-link-report.xml</load-externs>

</mxmlc>

<echo>Successfully compiled LobbyModule Styles...</echo>

</target>

-->

<target name="create_tournament_android_L_styles">

<echo>Compiling tournament_styles</echo>

<mxmlc file="../flex4-tournamentmodule/src/style_Poker_Android_L.css" static-link-runtime-shared-libraries="false">

<source-path path-element="src" />

<output>../flex4-shell-android/bin-release/modules/tournamentStylesPokerAndroidL_en_US.swf</output>

<source-path path-element="../flex4-tournamentlib/src" />

</compiler.library-path>

</compiler.library-path>

<load-externs>../flex4-tournamentmodule/tournament-link-report.xml</load-externs>

</mxmlc>

<echo>Successfuly compiled TournamentModule Styles...</echo>

</target>

</project>

• 9. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working

It works in debug SWFs but in release SWFs?

• 10. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
                            Pete Thomas Level 1

Yes that is correct. very confusing! This is on the device, it fails silently so not sure exactly what is happening.

I am now using the same airmobil config for all modules and styles.

Pete

• 11. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working

You might try an uncaughtError handler to prove than an exception really is being thrown.

• 12. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
                                Pete Thomas Level 1

Thanks for the tip Alex haven't been able to check ths out as it didn't seem to work, trying getting the runtime to work in debug mode also didnt work (http://www.mcbrearty.me.uk/index.php/2011/04/28/stack-traces-in-air-release-builds/)

I have reverted to compile time to get it out of the door, but will have another shot with adl. will let you know what I find.

• 13. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working

To guarantee you are catching errors, you may need to listen for uncaught errors on all modules as well.  See the post on my blog about that.

-Alex

• 14. Re: Loading multiple style modules not working
                                    vicky sandler

PUBSLUSH Press - The People's Publisher, is a full service publishing platform that connects writers directly to their readers through social media.

Pubslush

Publush

Publush