11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2013 1:17 PM by WilkinsInEugene

Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign

Manon1234

Dear all,

For optimal graphics quality, what is the best way and format to place/bridge graphics into InDesign.

Many thanks for your advice!

Best rgrds Manon

• 1. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The following are all equivalent, and yeild the best possible image quality:

File > Place... in ID

Drag from Finder

Drag from Explorer

Drag from Bridge

Drag from Mini Bridge

File > Place in InDesign from Bridge

Dragging from any other application is the equivalent of Copy/Paste and will result in potentially worse quality (depends on the version of ID) and the embedding rather than linking of the image, making it more difficult to edit, and waht you are embedding is actually the screen preview.

• 2. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign

If the question is waht's the best format for graphics, the anwer is "it depends" on what the use of the document will be. For print, I recommend either native PSD or TIFF for raster images (or Photoshop PDF for Photoshop files that also contain vector data or type). High quailty JPEG can be used, but does not support any sort of layers or transparency. For vector data I prefer native AI saved with PDF compatibility or PDF. If you have existing EPS files, there is usually no need to convert to another format unless you experience some sort of problem.

For on-screen output, you might prefer JPEG or PNG, or even GIF, depending on the subject matter.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign
              sssuuusssaaannn Level 1

And for screenshots from the computer placed into documents?  I always

convert the bmp's that people send me into png's, but is there something

different I should be doing?

Thanks, as usual.

• 4. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign

Do people still use .bmp? You can continue to convert, or leave them alone. I don't see much advantage to one over the other, except maybe for browser support, but I'm a print guy. I'd convert to tiff or psd rather than png if the destination is print, though, if I bothered to convert at all, whcih more than likely I wouldn't. Main thing is jpeg is not a good format for screen caps.

• 5. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign
                  Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

File size should be much smaller. I usually recommend saving as PNG for screenshots.

If it's a jpeg you don't gain anything from it at all.

But a BMP to PNG should be significantly less file size.

• 6. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign
                    Manon1234 Level 1

Dear Peter, Beste Peter,

Thank you for your reply.

For the very first time I make an catalogue in InDesign for print.

If I drag or place a high quality Photo (jpeg 7.5MB) and downsize it into my graphics window (whixh is about 5 times smaller than the initial imported jpeg photo) the results do not look nice on my screen. Very pixelized and crumbled. I checked it also when I export the ID book to PDF and it just takes away the pleasure of looking at these nice pictures!

You might have an additional advice for me?

Many thanks, have a nice day Manon

• 7. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign
                      Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign is not a picture viewer, or picture manipulation program. It only shows you a preview of the image for layout and design purposes.

You need to check the "Window>Info" panel when you have an image selected and ensure that the Effective PPI is correct.

If it's 300 ppi then you're ok.

2 things are marked on the this Window>Info when you have an image selected.

Actuall PPI - refers to pixels per inch that are there without scaling.

Effective PPI - refers to the pixels per inch that are there after any scaling. Enlarge the image, the PPI goes down. Make the image smaller the PPI goes up.

It's the Effective PPI that is important.

• 8. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign

Your display settings also will affect the way your images look on the screen in InDesign. By default ID uses "Typical" display mode whcih is a low-resolution preview that draws quicly. This is really a hold-over from days when computers were slow. With today's hardware almost any computer is able to work with "High Quality Display" for anything but the very largest images without noticeable slowdown. You'll find this in the View menu under Display Performance, and in the preferences where you can set it as the default. If you enable object level dispaly settings you can set the quality of the preview for individual images if one of them is causing a problem.

• 9. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign
                          WilkinsInEugene Level 1

I have been getting really crummy looking graphics while editing in ID CS6.

I set display preferences to High Quality but no improvement.

Based on comments here in forums, I went to View menu in document and set High Quality there also, and got some improvement.

ID CS6 shows a decent quality graphics (a .png screenshot from my Mac) but only when I export it as .pdf.

I'm doing most of my editing on a MacBook Pro 13" (I move from location to location and it's the only machine with CS6 on it at the moment).

I hazard a guess that ID looks at my graphics card and screen resolution and decides that I only need a crummy or semi-crummy display.

Are there some additional hidden settings for image display quality?

Again, I stress that the document itself really has better image quality than what is apparent while editing, but it's highly annoying to see a scruffy looking graphic while editing.

• 10. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign

Scree previews are jpegs, and what you see will depend a lot on the original image and its size. If they are large images (in pixel dimensions), but saved at low resolutiuons like 72 ppi, the quality of the preview is likely to be much poorer than the same image saved at 300 ppi.

• 11. Re: Graphics Format (pdf, ai, psd, etc) in InDesign
                              WilkinsInEugene Level 1

Excellent answer: I re-sized image using resolution of 300 dpi and appropriate size dimensions. It displays quite nicely now in ID CS6 and exports to .pdf also as a better quality image.