4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 9:10 AM by Bryan Chilcher

Is it possible to change settings for an existing sequence?

Bryan Chilcher Level 1

I am cutting a short "crowd-sourced" class play, shot by parents. I have 4 different types of footage from 4 cameras: Two are 720p (30p), one is a 640x480 .mov and the other was shot in 720p but burned to a PAL DVD so they are .VOB file rips at 25fps, 720 x 576 w/1.2 widescreen.The main camera is an .MTS file (AVCHD 720p)

Since I am planning on ultimately making widescreen NTSC DVD's, I sync'd the cameras in a widescreen-DV sequence, then nested that into a new widescreen-DV sequence and activated the multi-cam. I did all of my actual editing in the new muti-cam sequence - but now I am thinking that I should have started with an AVCHD 720p sequence to sync cameras and just maintained 720p thoughout - until exporting the MPEG-2 file for the DVD.

I can make a new 720p sequence and cut/paste everything from my timeline - but they would still be nested multi-cam cuts that link back to the original widescreen-DV sequenece I setup to sync the 4 cam views. I cannot seem to change the settings for the existing sequence - so is there maybe a workaround for what I am trying to do? Essentially, to trick the new 720p sequence (with all the actual multi-cam edits pasted into it) to linking to a new 720p sequence with the already sync'd cam footage pasted into it? And secondly, will it actually effect the quality of the final DVD output? I may also want to make a 720p web version for Vimeo if feasible...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Is it possible to change settings for an existing sequence?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

No, but you can create a New Sequence, as necessary, and then either Ctrl+A (Select All on PC), Ctrl+C (Copy), then move to the New Sequence, and with the CTI/Playhead at 00;00;00;00, Ctrl+V (Paste), or you can Nest the existing Sequence in the New Sequence. In general, I would use the first method most often.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Is it possible to change settings for an existing sequence?
            Bryan Chilcher Level 1

I have created the new 720p AVCHD and cut/pasted all of my edits. That is not the problem.

Almost of my edits (other than a few titles amd stil pics I added) are cuts from the original nested sequence called (4-CAM SYNC). It is a regular NTSC widescreen sequence. In this original sequence, I am scaling the the cameras down to fit the frame and sync'ing the four cameras. I am attempting to get this new sequence to link to a new 720p nested sequence that has my sync'd cam footage - to replace 4-CAM SYNC on the time, while still retaining all the edits I have made - I will just have to change some of my scaling settings in a few clips.

It sure would be easier if I could change the "Editing Mode" parameter under Sequence Settings...

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Is it possible to change settings for an existing sequence?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

now I am thinking that I should have started with an AVCHD 720p sequence to sync cameras and just maintained 720p thoughout - until exporting the MPEG-2 file for the DVD.

I disagree.  That might have worked if all your source footage was HD to begin with, but it isn't.  Since you're final product will be standard definition DVD, there's no sense in upscaling the SD footage for editing, only to dumb it back down to SD for delivery.  It won't as look good.

You're best option here is to continue the way you started.  Give up on the 720p sequence.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is it possible to change settings for an existing sequence?
                Bryan Chilcher Level 1

Thanks for the advice. Will this have an effect on my interlacing on the DVD or is that not determined until export to MPEG-2 DVD format? I noticed that it only says 29.97 as a time-base in Sequence Settings. It makes no mention of frames.