3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 12:19 PM by Mike Blaustein

Rip content from .exe?

mrTortex

Hello.

I've searched, I've Googled, I've read.  I'm hoping in the time between the old threads and this, something has changed!

I've been given a job to rebuild a gallery exhibit which was written in Director 3 or 4.  It's 13-15 years old.  I have an .exe and that's it.  Is there a away to extract the data from this, I just need the images, it's going to be re-coded in AIR.

The alternative would be to screen capture and Photoshop the results, but time is limited.

So I wonder how possible this is?

Thanks in advance for any advice, even if it's a big fat no!

• 1. Re: Rip content from .exe?
          bmohnsen

I wonder as well the most efficient way - however you can export as jpgs.

• 2. Re: Rip content from .exe?
            mrTortex Level 1

I can export as JPEG's from within the .exe?  I'll give that a go, althoug the .exe I've been given keeps crashing so...  I may just have to start from scratch.

• 3. Re: Rip content from .exe?
              Mike Blaustein Level 4

I don't know if this will work on such an old version of Director, but in newer versions, you can make a text file named lingo.ini in the same folder as the projector with the following text:

on startup

the debugPlaybackEnabled=1

end

and when the projector starts, you will get a message window... from there, you may be able to manipulate the internal casts... so you might be able to retrieve the raw images that way.

Also, there is a program called "diropener" that will turn a exe into a dir (it only works on Dir 8 and less... but I dont know if it works on one that old)... anyway, you can try it as well if you can find it.