1 person found this helpful
Oh, what a painful lesson to learn about the importance of keeping backups.
Sometimes, Markzware can fix broken files, for a fee.
Next time you have a big project, do a fresh Save As every day. That way, you can roll back to any point in the project by just going and opening the file you saved at the end of the day. It's wasteful of HD space, but frankly, HD space is cheap, and losing 800-page files is expensive.
Indeed, it is a painful lesson -- thank you for the pointer, though. I'm just wondering if they can bring back all the formatting/line art too -- if only the text, then that's not gonna be helping much, since I have a mid-work PDF that contains just the same text..
If successful, they should be able to bring back pretty much everything, but there are never any absolutes. Have you tried opeing as a COPY?
I have tried all three available opening modi. A number of times, hoping it's a MandelBug and not a Boolean Bug. Unfortunately, it belonged to the latter breed.
Doesn't look good. Unfortunately those non-detailed crash logs from Vista don't tell us very much, but it's doubtful they'd tell us enough to be helpful anyhow.
I assume you cannot File > Place your troubled document into a new ID document?
Any changes to your system?
You mention "latest update" -- what number precisely, please?
You could also try, I suppose, an older update of CS5.5. WHich you would do by uninstalling, reinstalling, and not taking the update. Doesn't seem likely to help, unless you updated versions quite recently at the start of the problem.
File>Place places it, then after a time (without further interaction) crashes in the same manner as above -- I suspect that's about the time when it gets to the page where the problem lies (with data integrity, actual paragraph issues, whatnot... I don't really see what's going on under the hood.)
There were no changes to the system, not hardware changes anyhow. The only "change" was the update of the display driver -- cannot roll back on it unfortunately, but even if I could, I doubt that it would heal anything (since the same problem is produced on other systems too.)
The "latest update" that I have is v220.127.116.118. The PARAGRAPH COMPOSER.RPLN is v18.104.22.168 (so it seems that it was not updated really -- checked the innards of the update package, just to be sure, and nothing newer was in it, so I believe Adobe updated nothing in that bit of the program.) The problem occurred before taking the update, actually, (so rollback is not a viable solution, unfortunately) and I installed the update in a belief that it might help. Yeah well, didn't.