2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 12:25 PM by Ablopigid20

Scale a document when exporting pdf/x

Ablopigid20

Hi all,

I work a lot with large format/OOH. Most of the time the specs call for scaled versions with higher resolution- that's easy. The problem is when I need to build a document that is larger than my proofer. I need to reduce the dimensions of the document while proofing at a specific resolution (so I don't want to scale the pdf/x in the RIP). So, for example, let's say I have a print that is 100" x 60". I need to proof it at 25"x15" (or 1/4 scale). Currently, I just build a second doc for proofing- after the actual one is built, I drop it into a new indd that is set up with the proof size and export at the appropriate resolution. I am currently working on a board that is 11 feet x 7 feet. The printer wants the file at size at 100 dpi. Easy enough to set up the file- but more time consuming to get a mini proofed.

So, my question: Is there a way to export the pdf/x from the larger/original size, but just scale and set resolution within the export dialogue? I haven't found a way to do this. Or maybe I'm just going about it the wrong way. If it's possible, it would save a lot of time. Your help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Scale a document when exporting pdf/x
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Scaling output when exporting to PDF?

No, unfortunately that's not possible.

For that you have to go the Print-To-PostScript way.

Because you mentioned that option for your proofing device: why won't you scale the PDF/X in the RIP?

Uwe

• 2. Re: Scale a document when exporting pdf/x
            Ablopigid20 Level 1

Thanks. I guess I could, but I figure that the resolution would be modified upon scaling. Not sure if that is the case, but that's how I looked at it. For instance, on that 11'x7' board I mentioned. I set the destination profiles and desired output resolution in the pdf/x dialogue. In this case, it needs to be 100 dpi. If I scale that pdf in the RIP, won't it bump the resolution to whatever the scale is- i.e. 1/10th scale = 1000 dpi? Therefore printing an inaccurate representation of the file. If that's not the case and the RIP maintains the resolution set in the pdf, then I guess I'm all set.

Sorry for moving away from InDesign in this question, but if the latter is the case, it makes life easier.