9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2011 7:29 PM by Michael Gianino

unsharp text when importing tiff

Klas F

Hallo all!

I´m working with a publication right now, i write music in a program called FINALE (www.finalemusic.com ). I export the Finaledocument to TIFF, and then import it into Indesign CS5  to do the layout and combine it with grapihcs etc...

BUT...when i print the Indesigndocument, all of my imported TIFF-files are slightly unsharp. Not much, but it´s a differens betwen the text in the imported tiff-file and the text i wrote directly in the indesign-document.

First i thought the problem was when converting to PDF, but i compared a PDF , a Indesign and a original finale-file of the same document and it seems that the "unsharpness" has to do with the TIFF...

I choose even 600 dpi to be on the safe side but...

Any idea how to solve this?

Klas

• 1. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Check your Export settings. By default, bitmap images that are way over "the usual" dpi are downsampled to 300 dpi. It shouldn't be harmful because that ought not be visible unless you zoom in quite a lot on your screen. It does, though, introduce a small sliver of grey pixels around your original graphics.

Can Finale export to a vector format? Print to PDF? That ought to work flawlessly.

If you are stuck to bitmaps, you can select a high dpi setting -- your 600 dpi, or even better, as high as 1200 dpi -- and convert the image to Single Bitmap with Photoshop or another useful bitmap editor. Single Bitmaps can have a super-high resolution and still maintain a small file size, and they will not be downsampled to the usual 300 dpi: they will get printed at the fullest possible resolution. (*)

(*) Well unless you go way nuts and select something like 2000 dpi. The exact numbers for single bitmaps can also be found and changed in the PDF Export options dialogue.

• 2. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Do you have other export options? PDF would be better—from OSX you can print a PDF from any app.

Even at  600ppi there is going to be a visual difference with something like sheet music and small type on high res output devices. Also is the TIFF RGB? If that's the case try converting it to grayscale before placing in ID. With RGB you'll get a 4-color conversion rather than black only when you print.

• 3. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
              Klas F Level 1

Thanx man! I´ll check this outinthe morning!

klas

• 4. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
                Klas F Level 1

And thanx to you aswell, Jongware! I´ll look into this in the morning!

• 5. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
                  Michael Gianino Level 4

I did almost 9 years with a music publisher, and used Finale every day. I still have 2008 on my laptop at home, as well as CS3, and exporting as eps from Finale works great for me. I don't know if the version of Finale you use and CS5 would work together as well, but I believe it should be much better than tiff.

The reason I avoid tiff is that music is made of mostly small curved items (noteheads, clefs, slurs, etc.) and text is usually 12-pt for things like lyrics, and all those things are much better as vector items than when they are saved as bitmaps. I know some versions of Finale have had  problems  saving as PDF, but the Finale forum should be able to tell you any workflows that are better than others. You can also convert eps's to pdf with Illustrator if that works better for you.

• 6. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

If you’re going to convert the EPS files to PDF I would do it by distilling them (OY! Did I really say that?), rather than risk opening them in Illy.

Bob

• 7. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

Err...

I know some versions of Finale have had  problems  saving as PDF, but the Finale forum should be able to tell you any workflows that are better than others. You can also convert eps's to pdf with Illustrator if that works better for you.

Why would you want to do that? If you're going to export to EPS, place the EPS in InDesign. It's not like there's something wrong with ID's EPS support.

I understand some people don't like EPS files, but you're not going to improve anything by converting them to PDFs, you're just going to add steps and complications to your workflow unnecessarily.

• 8. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
                        Klas F Level 1

I´m working with Finale 2011 on both mac & PC and Adobe CS 5. And yes, music does work a lot better when exporting to PDF instead of TIFF!

Stupid of me not to figure that out by myself... but i guess it has to do with the fackt that in FINALE when you use the graphics tool, you dont have PDF as an option, but you can of course make a PDF in other ways...

thanks!

• 9. Re: unsharp text when importing tiff
                          Michael Gianino Level 4

John Hawkinson wrote:

Err...

I know some versions of Finale have had  problems  saving as PDF, but the Finale forum should be able to tell you any workflows that are better than others. You can also convert eps's to pdf with Illustrator if that works better for you.

Why would you want to do that?

Well, err… I wouldn't, and I don't, which is why I said:

Michael Gianino wrote:

…exporting as eps from Finale works great for me…

…and:

Michael Gianino wrote:

You can also convert eps's to pdf with Illustrator if that works better for you.