8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2011 7:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 9 - automation?

emilarah

Hi to all.

I am quite new to Premiere and working on a project for a journalist company. Because saving time is so important to them, I was curious to know if a sort of Premiere automation exists.

Once the journalist has decided all the content to put in the daily news edition, whoever is in charge of creating it with Premiere must have the chance of doing it in less time possible. I have created for this purpose a template that contains the "news headers", with title and subtitle, with graphics. What i would like to do is to let them have the right titles already in, and the content folder ready to use. Is this possible?

I hope I made myself clear

Thank you for any replies

Emily

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - automation?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is no way to have the program automatically generate custom news headers, Emily. Sorry.

I'm also not sure if you can create templates with the headers already in and then just drop editing video into them. At least there's no direct way to do this.

Are you aware of any editing software that does this?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - automation?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Emily,

PrPro allows for multiple Sequences (think about mini-Projects all in one master Project), and I use several pre-edited "templates" to speed some things up. However, this is far short of "automation," and nothing is generated automatically.

You might get a bit closer with Adobe After Effects, as it allows for Scripting, and also Expressions. Still, it might not take things to the level that you are seeking.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - automation?
              emilarah Level 1

Thank you for your super fast replies!

Pitty for automation, it would have been brillant! They'll just have to right them in then.

Unfortunatelly, the company I'm doing this project for just has Adobe Premiere. My task is to make it as easy as possible for them, so that they don't have to learn much and that things come in really handy for them.

I was having a look at the .layout file generated, I thought I could start from it. Unfortunatelly, I didn't find much on the internet (a part from some posts of yours Bll!).

Is there a way to open a template and have the actual content they will need to use, by modifying this file? I thought it was possible, because of the "Offline media". Something is telling the program that in a certain path there was a certain file that is now missing, so is not possible to generate a file that premiere will read, to look for files that I decide? I just need to know or discover how to do so, because it would then be easy to generate it in a simple way (the journalist exports the folder with media throw php comands).

Thank you for your help

Emily

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - automation?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Do you know any video editing software that does this, Emily? I don't know how it would be possible. Especially not with Premiere Elements.

As Bill says, the embedded timelines of Premiere Pro would allow you to plug in different video while reusing the same graphics over it. But the nature of video isn't such that you could build a resusable template, like a Word document, with some easily customizable fields.

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - automation?
                  nealeh Level 5

If you had a folder of assets and a project that looked at all those assets you could theoretically delete all the media in that folder and replace with new media using the original filenames.

But the clips you add in would have to be the exact same duration (to the number of frames) of the originals if things like audio, titles, transitions and effects are to work.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - automation?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Emily,

Are you talking about the PREL (the Project) file here?

If so, this ARTICLE will give you some background on the makeup of the PREL file.

If one was extremely proficient in XML coding, and knew all of the necessary coding for PrE, it might be possible to write macros in an XML editing program, to do some of what you want. However, it would not be for the feint of heart, and knowledge of XML and then the structure of PrE's XML would be very important.

I think that Scripting and Expressions in Adobe After Effects would be easier to get right, though at the expense of that program (a wonderful program, BTW), and then the learning curve of AE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - automation?
                      emilarah Level 1

@Steve, no unfortunatelly I don't. I was wondering if Premiere did so because of the various files that are generated when the project is saved, and also imagining that Adobe maybe had thought of it, seems that it is mainly distributeted to companies.

What they use is Adobe Premiere Elements, so I suppose I can't do what you are suggesting?

In the mean time I'll try and do a couple of empirical experiments and see if I can figure out something.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - automation?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

The ability to work with full Scripting has been a frequent Feature Request for Premiere Pro, but it has not been added. Scripting was only recently added to Photoshop, which is far less intricate, than PrPro is. I feel that PrPro will get it before PrE does, and maybe with the release of CS6, we'll see some implementation.

Good luck, and sorry for the bad news,

Hunt