14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2011 8:12 PM by Ted Smith

More Ram needed?

nookie1050

Hi firstly I must say I am impressed with PRE 10 I had a spell with Sony Vegas which was OK but glad to be back with Adobe Premier Elements, just a couple of things, will I improve the playback and general speed of editing if I increase my ram from 4 to 8 GB and when I change from timeline to sceneline and vice versa it reverts back to the beginning of the project (hence the question of speed when I try and "catch up") or am I as usual doing something wrong, cheers

• 1. Re: More Ram needed?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Can you give us the existing specs. of your computer, and your OS?

It might also be helpful to know the full details of the material, that you are editing.

In each case, the more detail, the better. Then, someone can make recommendations on what will give you the most bang for the buck.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: More Ram needed?
            nealeh Level 5

If you are running Windows 64-bit you will see improvement. If you have 32-bit it will make no difference.

I don't understand the second part of your question - could you post some annotated screenshots to explain the problem.

Cheers,
            --
            Neale
            Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: More Ram needed?
              nookie1050 Level 1

Hi thanks for your reply, I am using an Intel Core i5 760 with 4 gb ram 2 x 500 gb hard drives Nvidea gts 450 on Win 7 o/s everything so far is great except the playback is a bit jerky and editing sometimes slow to respond (am rendering every time I see a red line!) My camera is a Canon HG 10 and capturing AVCHD to pre10, thanks.

• 4. Re: More Ram needed?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is your Win7 32bit or 64bit?

Did you install the 32bit version of PreEl or the 64bit version?

• 5. Re: More Ram needed?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, one more question: are you running the 64-bit version of Win7?

As Neale points out, if it's the 32-bit version, there is zero need to increase the RAM above 4GB.

Now, with AVCHD, the i5 CPU will likely never give you really smooth playback. AVCHD (and all H.264 CODEC material) is very, very CPU intensive.

Having two physical HDD's, is a step in the right direction for the I/O. Now, those ARE two physical (not partitions) HDD's, right?

Good luck, and with the OS, someone can recommend changes to make.

Hunt

[Edit] Looks like Neale and I are typing about the same thing, at the same time - though it's much later for him in the UK!

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: More Ram needed?
                    nookie1050 Level 1

Thanks Nealah I am running 64bit so will give the more ram route a go.  When I am editing in the timeline I sort of rough the story out then swap to the scene line to fine tune the clip but when I do the scene line starts at the begining of my project not where I was in the time line?

• 7. Re: More Ram needed?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Hm-m, that is the second mention recently, of the CTI (Current Time Indicator) not being in the same place, when switching between the Timeline View Mode, and the Sceneline View Mode. It should stay put, and be at the same exact TimeCode, in either View Mode.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: More Ram needed?
                        nookie1050 Level 1

Thanks Bill will try the cheaper ram option and see how that goes before I upgrade to an i7!! , to be honest I find  PRE 10 a doddle compared to Vegas so will persevere whatever the outcome, the hard drives are seperate.

• 9. Re: More Ram needed?
                          nealeh Level 5

I was looking for that post. As I recall it was a discussion where an Adobe employee contributed to say that it is something they will look at for PRE11. Actually the CTI was placed at the identical position on the monitor panel, just not on the sceneline view.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: More Ram needed?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Good news on the HDD's!

There will be an increase in general speeds with the 64-bit OS, and the 64-bit PrE 10, if you add more RAM. However, playback is really heavily dependent on CPU with AVCHD material. With most other, non-H.264 footage, then the I/O is the "weakest link," but while a 3rd HDD might pick up general editing a bit, it would be a small bit, and probably never be seen in playback response.

I am not sure how Vegas handles AVCHD material. Some NLE's, like FCP on a Mac, use an intermediate file for editing, where PrE uses the original media - no proxies involved.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: More Ram needed?
                              nookie1050 Level 1

Thanks for all your help I have just finished my first pre10 project and rendering/saving in the background as I type, I had an issue with only one Menu appearing and had to (as advised by the support guys) to re-install everything, the Menus have appeared which is great, if in my next project the timeline/sceneline issue is still there I will let you guys know (knowing my luck the re-instal may have cured it!! ) thanks for your time.

• 12. Re: More Ram needed?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

To get a bit of a handle on which component upgrades do the most for video editing, spend a bit of time looking over the spreadsheet at PPBM5. Note: that site uses a standard set of files, to measure many common aspects of video editing with PrPro CS 5/5.5. The figures will not directly apply to PrE, per se, but will show how scores improve with certain components.

Good luck, and there should be a few i5's on that spreadsheet, but they will be near the bottom. After you find a few, locate a similar rig w/ an i7, regarding RAM and I/O, and compare the times. That will give you a general idea of what the CPU can do.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: More Ram needed?
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For the Sceneline vs Timeline View Mode discussion, here is that other THREAD. Is this what you are experiencing?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: More Ram needed?
                                    Ted Smith Level 3

If you want to use PE10 on Windows7 64 bit then you HAVE to get 8gb ram otherwise you won't see any difference if either the Windows OS or PE is only the 32 bit. version.

The promotional Youtube type video for PE10 describes the reason for the "hidden" improvement with 64b PE10 is because 64 bits is needed to address RAM over 4gb.Therefore it doesn't have to write to the disk so much.

Conversely, there is no point in having 8gb in a 32 bit OS in a computer  unless the computer has a cunning way of treating it as two seperate 32 bit 4g RAMs, This would only be useful when running two different programs at once.

The max number of RAM cells that can be addressed in any 32 bit system is about 4gb (hex FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) Thats why the invented a 64bit OS.

Unfortunately i5s are often put in slower mother boards than i7. The motherboard can make as much a difference as the chip. If a slow cheap (or older ) motherboard then you wont see any improvement upgrading just the chip.

Also there are many different i7s available and they bring out another version every month! I use the i7 8 core (about $300) on PE9 and it is a smooth a silk on previewing, not every red line even needing rendering and this is only a 32 bit program.

Besides Windows and RAM are much cheaper then Processors!